Moparts

Where to get small items Chromed????

Posted By: Troy

Where to get small items Chromed???? - 01/07/10 12:19 AM

Hi Guys, I'm looking for a good chrome shop I can ship some parts to to have them chromed. Here in CA....things are getting very expensive to get done.

Thanks
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? - 01/07/10 11:13 AM

Why would you think it's cheaper anywhere else? You're gonna pay no matter where you send them.
Posted By: 67Charger

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? - 01/07/10 02:35 PM

...because CA has it's head jammed where the sun don't shine when it comes to emmissions, both private and commercial. Most of the effective chemicals are banned here and we're stuck with the "green" stuff no matter how ineffective.

I can't tell you where to send it, but I can tell you there are better AND cheaper places to have it done due to lower restrictions on the process itself.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? - 01/07/10 02:40 PM

depending on size limitations for shipping across the country

But I had Eric Manuel- aka member 3404 do some small bolts for me this past summer.
I was happy with the results. But chrome plating work anywhere isn't in-expensive anymore.

member user info -
Email 3404@oh.rr.com

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...hat=showmembers

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? - 01/07/10 04:21 PM

Hi Bill, hope all is well with you.

I was hoping that somebody had a place that would not charge an arm and a leg to chrome just a few parts. I remember when I sent out my T/A stuff for chroming and when all was said and done I was well into everything for over $3000.00.
Posted By: Hemiruss

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? - 01/07/10 05:17 PM

Small plastic parts can go to Gentry at Auto.Instruments.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? - 01/07/10 05:36 PM

Troy,
all is good.

Eric's bill was right at $75 for 100 of the sems head bolts shown for the E-body wiper pivots.

I also use a plater in Mi that is very resonable but he doesn't do chrome.
Posted By: Ryan_340

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? - 01/08/10 03:17 PM

I have used these guys with good results:

http://www.ocplating.com/

I had them do my door handles, mirror bases, and emblems for my '72 Dodge Power Wagon.

Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? - 01/08/10 03:52 PM

Quote:

I have used these guys with good results:

http://www.ocplating.com/

I had them do my door handles, mirror bases, and emblems for my '72 Dodge Power Wagon.

Handy to know, , I'm about 15 minutes away from there and never used them. (drove right by that area too a few days ago )

Went to another powdercoater in Huntington Beach but they were getting really expensive and service was not what it was originally.

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? - 01/08/10 10:24 PM

Very nice!! How much was it to have just those parts chromed???

This weekend I'm going to take a picture of what I need done and email them to a few places to get a quote. Well see what happens.

Thanks everybody!!
Posted By: Ryan_340

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? - 01/09/10 03:24 AM

Quote:

This weekend I'm going to take a picture of what I need done and email them to a few places to get a quote. Well see what happens.

Thanks everybody!!

I had everything pictured re-chromed for just over $200.

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? - 01/09/10 06:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks everybody!!

Wow, I don't think that is a bad price at all, I would pay that. Out here in Calif. that would be $400+ easy.

Thanks everybody!!
Posted By: MoreParts

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? - 01/09/10 09:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks everybody!!

Wow, I don't think that is a bad price at all, I would pay that. Out here in Calif. that would be $400+ easy.

Thanks everybody!!

You're in luck then. OC is still in California barring any unforeseen earth quakes.

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? UPDATED!!!! - 03/14/10 04:07 AM

Well hello there!! I would like to give you all an update to what I have found. I would like to thank everybody that responded to my needs. I had no less than TEN different suggestion on different chrome platers. I had price quotes going from $1800.00 all the way down to $375.00!!! I thought that was crazy!! How can you have such a price swing to have the same service done!!

This project that I'm doing is a 1968 Super Stock Hemi Dart clone. Needless to say that I'm on a big time budget for this car. I'm counting every penny spent and there was no way that I was going to dump $1800.00 to have 14 parts chrome plated. One of the suggestions was a place called Orange Country Platers http://www.ocplating.com/ This place was here in Calif. I talked to them on the phone and they gave me a quote of $375.00 to have these 14 parts chromed. They said it would take two to three weeks. I UPS-ed the parts to them and hoped for the best. After five phone calls wondering where my parts are and five weeks later.....I got them back. They came out looking good. For $375.00 I was very happy!!

Was it the fastest place......No
Did I have to call them a bunch of times...Yes
Would I use this place on a high end restoration...No
Would I used them again.....Yes

Here are a few pictures.

Attached picture 5863597-Chromeparts001.jpg

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? UPDATED!!!! - 03/14/10 04:08 AM

A few more...

Attached picture 5863598-Chromeparts002.jpg

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? UPDATED!!!! - 03/14/10 04:09 AM

Not too bad I think!!

Attached picture 5863602-Chromeparts003.jpg

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? UPDATED!!!! - 03/14/10 04:11 AM

As I said...I don't think I would use these guys on a high end restoration. There are a few marks in them and on two of the parts they got a little crays sanding them before chroming but all and all.....I'm very happy!!

Attached picture 5863610-Chromeparts004.jpg
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? UPDATED!!!! - 03/14/10 04:13 AM

I wanna seen them in person.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? UPDATED!!!! - 03/14/10 03:30 PM

Glad to see it worked out for you Troy...Chrome platers are definitely a roll of the dice finding medium ground between price and quality....But even a higher prices does'nt guarantee quality...I've even sent good parts and had ruined/exchanged parts sent back where the plater expected me to just buy another for him to try again...Finding one that's close is a good choice....Choose wisely...
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? UPDATED!!!! - 03/14/10 09:47 PM

Good to hear. A customer of mine uses them alot, and seems to have good luck.
Posted By: 5126brl No more

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? - 03/15/10 12:30 AM

Hey Troy, This is not what you want to hear but, I just called Advanced Plating in Tn. And was quoted $950.
for a 65 Impala bumper. And this is a NOS bar that needs to be just chromed. I used them 5 years ago for a 57 Bonneville I did and spent about $16000. with them. Prices have gone up again.

Good Luck Todd
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? - 03/15/10 11:04 AM

I used http://www.newenglandchrome.com/ to redo a set of bullit turn signals 3 years ago. No pitting on them but the chrome was faded. Charged me $80. Very pleased and still look like new.
Posted By: 5126brl No more

Re: Where to get small items Chromed???? - 03/15/10 06:42 PM

Quote:

I used http://www.newenglandchrome.com/ to redo a set of bullit turn signals 3 years ago. No pitting on them but the chrome was faded. Charged me $80. Very pleased and still look like new.

I used them first to do a part 6 years ago 1 of the taillight bezels, came out ok. Then used Advanced to do rest of cars parts. 3 years ago the Part that they did had to go to Advanced since it started to peel.
© 2024 Moparts Forums