Moparts

How do you start a Hemi thats sat since 74?

Posted By: cdp

How do you start a Hemi thats sat since 74? - 01/01/10 01:16 AM

Some friends quized me on a 66 Hemi Coronet/4spd, one owner car that they were on their way to see and buy yesterda. Well, they were just got their too late when another one of their car buddies bought it and took it too his shop. He then sold it today to a shop on smalltown Missouri who is noted for some pretty nice resto's and has done some nice mopars and several wing cars that are down in that area too.

The car had something like 12,500 miles on it and hasn't been started since 74.

How would prep the motor for a restart after all this time?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: How do you start a Hemi thats sat since 74? - 01/01/10 01:19 AM

That hemi you would probably be better off NOT starting, I already e-mailed him to explain why but I got no reply
Posted By: MonGoo$e

Re: How do you start a Hemi thats sat since 74? - 01/01/10 01:19 AM

Pretty sure a motor like that most guys here would recommend pulling it and taking it apart and addressing anything needed.
Posted By: mickm

Re: How do you start a Hemi thats sat since 74? - 01/01/10 01:39 AM

turn the ignition key to the "start" position???

sorry, just couldn't resist

what everyone else said, definitely.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: How do you start a Hemi thats sat since 74? - 01/01/10 01:46 AM

There is NO way I'd risk that with a Hemi.
If it's the original hemi, I would spend a lot of time documenting it before the first wash was done, and on each layer uncovered...
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: How do you start a Hemi thats sat since 74? - 01/01/10 01:51 AM

Quote:

And that goes double for a well worn cross ram equipped factory big cammed high compression Race Hemi engine.

Posted By: cdp

Re: How do you start a Hemi thats sat since 74? - 01/01/10 04:16 AM

Quote:

If it's the original hemi, I would spend a lot of time documenting it before the first wash was done, and on each layer uncovered...

I hope that happens. Sounded like a pretty cool Dodge. I'm sure it will probably be restored, but *maybe* its nice enough that it just needs detailing.

I don't know much else about the car, but my friend told me today that it didn't have the original intake, linkage, which led me to believe it was somewhat altered.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: How do you start a Hemi thats sat since 74? - 01/01/10 04:28 AM

Here's another thread on the same car ......

WL21H6
© 2024 Moparts Forums