Moparts

Upper control arms

Posted By: 1970440six

Upper control arms - 11/29/09 03:31 PM

What is the correct color to paint the upper control arms on my 1970 Roadrunner V-code? I am done cleaning, time to paint then put new bushings in.

Thanks
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: Upper control arms - 11/29/09 03:53 PM

I guess it depends on who you talk to...some say natural others say black, ive seen them both ways, I usually go black as I drive my cars and dont want rust...
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: Upper control arms - 11/29/09 03:56 PM

I used VHT Epoxy Stainless Steel on mine to simulate the natural steel look.

Attached picture 5633948-007-Copy.JPG
Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Re: Upper control arms - 11/29/09 07:38 PM

On a similar subject,has anyone bought or seen some of the reproduction upper control arms listed on eBay with bushings and upper ball joints.Not just the E body ones,but they list them for Demons,Duster,Roadrunners,etc.Just wondering about quailty,look and fit.Ref item #200362976235.

Re: Upper control arms - 11/29/09 08:04 PM

Quote:

I used VHT Epoxy Stainless Steel on mine to simulate the natural steel look.

It looks like you painted them with the bushings in, is that how you did it? Looks good. VHT Epoxy stainless, where can
I get it?

Thanks
Posted By: burdar

Re: Upper control arms - 11/29/09 08:55 PM

It looks to be the same color as Seymours stainless steel paint...which is the same as Eastwoods Detail Gray. That's what I used on mine.

Re: Upper control arms - 11/29/09 09:24 PM

Quote:

It looks like you painted them with the bushings in, is that how you did it? Looks good. VHT Epoxy stainless, where can
I get it?

I had the old bushings removed, stripped the arm with aircraft stripper, & had new bushings pressed in. Then I decided to paint with VHT epoxy. I taped everything very carefully. I ordered the paint from a local guy. I'm sure you could find it online.

Attached picture 5634571-004(2).JPG
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: Upper control arms - 11/29/09 09:55 PM

Another vote for the VHT Epoxy paint, very durable and yes, paint them after you press in the bushings and install the ball joint.
Posted By: LYNCHROAD69.5

Re: Upper control arms - 11/30/09 12:26 AM

Quote:

On a similar subject,has anyone bought or seen some of the reproduction upper control arms listed on eBay with bushings and upper ball joints.Not just the E body ones,but they list them for Demons,Duster,Roadrunners,etc.Just wondering about quailty,look and fit.Ref item #200362976235.

I was wondering the same thing...anyone bought these?
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: Upper control arms - 12/02/09 03:36 AM

I thought it was weird they were being made. Aren't originals still abundant enough? How much are originals worth?
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Upper control arms - 12/02/09 05:09 AM

Used, rusty upper control arms are a pain to remove and service.

$90 for a new pair, with ball joints and bushings installed is a steal if the parts are good quality.

That company should also offer '73-'76 A-body arms.

Re: Upper control arms - 12/09/09 09:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I get it?

I had the old bushings removed, stripped the arm with aircraft stripper, & had new bushings pressed in. Then I decided to paint with VHT epoxy. I taped everything very carefully. I ordered the paint from a local guy. I'm sure you could find it online.

I did a search and cannot find the VHT Epoxy Stainless paint. One site made it look like it no longer exists? Your control arm looks really good, I want to paint mine that color any ideas? I looked at eastwoods detail grey like another person posted but I dont think that will come out the same.

Thanks
Posted By: cdp

Re: Upper control arms - 12/09/09 09:58 PM

I used Seymore Stainless Steel on mine and am very satisfied with the results...

Attached picture 5657484-UCA\'s002.jpg

Re: Upper control arms - 12/09/09 10:57 PM

Chris, VERY NICE!!!
As per the VHT website, the Stainless Steel Epoxy is no longer is available. It has been replaced by VHT Plate Finish Chrome Plus(SP5251). I'm not sure about using that as I haven't used it. Seymour Stainless Steel or Eastwood Detail Grey would be my next choice.
Posted By: streaker

Re: Upper control arms - 12/10/09 09:06 PM

I did mine a little different, 2 toned them.

Attached picture 5659460-a-arm.JPG
Posted By: streaker

Re: Upper control arms - 12/10/09 09:08 PM

Maybe a better picture

Attached picture 5659462-a-arm2.JPG

Re: Upper control arms - 12/10/09 09:50 PM

Looks good!!!
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Upper control arms - 12/10/09 09:56 PM

Powder coated...

Attached picture 5659532-powdercoatedparts4web05.jpg
Posted By: mickm

Re: Upper control arms - 12/10/09 11:48 PM

powder coated mine as well...

Attached picture 5659788-P6160025.JPG

Re: Upper control arms - 12/11/09 12:07 AM

Very nice! We have a bunch of talent on this board.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Upper control arms - 12/11/09 12:18 AM

I have always seen them natural.. What I do is clean them up and stray some satin clear on it, like Krylon Matte clear you can get at Hobby Lobby, etc. You get the best of both worlds, natural look with corrosion control..... Here's my former '68 Hemi Charger R/T's front end..

Attached picture 5659857-100_8679.JPG
Posted By: LYNCHROAD69.5

Re: Upper control arms - 12/11/09 02:38 PM

Quote:

Anyone? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-71-72-...sQ5fAccessories
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Upper control arms - 12/12/09 02:37 PM

The VHT all-weather epoxy is a good choice if you are going the paint route...Very durable and weather resistant where you need it the most on those suspension components...The stainless color was darker than the Seymours and held up better...I'm not sure what is going on with VHT...The site was down for a while...Then they dropped all the epoxy colors other than black and white... ...Mabe they got hammered with the economy like most places.... The problem with used UCAs is you just don't know what you're going to get when you replace the balljoints...You might go through the motions to restore them to find out the threads are shot and the balljoint just spins without reaching the torque value...And you don't want to see welds on a nice resto... ....Those repop upper control arms would be a great deal if they are up to the job...But that's one of the areas where you would'nt want to be riding on a sub-grade replacement part....I'd like to know how the quality is on them also....
© 2024 Moparts Forums