Moparts

seat restoration question

Posted By: frank

seat restoration question - 11/26/09 06:14 PM

Car is 69 GTX. I have new seat foam and covers from Legendary. I intend to have a professional put everything together. I want to treat/paint frames, springs, etc. If I tear down the seats, front and rear, to bare metal and treat/paint, will an interior person be able to put all back together? Is there something I need to know about in advance? Thanks
Posted By: TrueTripleX

Re: seat restoration question - 11/26/09 09:43 PM

I always media blast and powdercoat the seat frames both front and rear. As for the seat tracks, I would not completely disassemble but would media blast and paint them black.

Attached picture 5629215-truetriplex.JPG
Posted By: minivan

Re: seat restoration question - 11/26/09 09:53 PM

Quote:

Car is 69 GTX. I have new seat foam and covers from Legendary. I intend to have a professional put everything together. I want to treat/paint frames, springs, etc. If I tear down the seats, front and rear, to bare metal and treat/paint, will an interior person be able to put all back together? Is there something I need to know about in advance? Thanks

Yes..
Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: seat restoration question - 11/26/09 10:06 PM

I asked for my my frames back to media blast and paint. The trim guy was glad I brought the seats in before disassembly so he could see how everything went together is what he told me.
Posted By: frank

Re: seat restoration question - 11/27/09 12:47 AM

Yes there is something I need to know in advance or yes a pro trim guy can put back together?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: seat restoration question - 11/27/09 12:55 AM

Snap a few photos as you tear them down, save all the old upholstry so if he has questions it's covered... I took my bare powder coated frames, new foam & new covers to a guy that has been doing upholstry for years, told him I had the old stuff & pictures if he wanted/needed them.. He laughed & said don't worry about it.. Then he showed me pictures of his personal 68 Coronet.. I was in good hands.. & he was impressed that he got to work on such nice pieces instead of the crusty junk most guys bring him...

Attached picture 5629503-Powdercoatedparts4web01.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums