Moparts

How can I rejuvinate a dash pad?

Posted By: SPWC

How can I rejuvinate a dash pad? - 07/09/08 09:46 PM

Vehicle im getting soon has a dashpad in decent condition.(for its age and where the car is located--ARIZONA) Its not brittle in the one spot I touched,it and isnt cracked. Is there anyway of bringing it back to life in order to preserve it? Some kind of conditioner such as saddle soap or petroleum jelly?

Attached picture 4541223-006.JPG

Re: How can I rejuvinate a dash pad? - 07/09/08 09:46 PM

another pic

Attached picture 4541224-014.JPG

Re: How can I rejuvinate a dash pad? - 07/09/08 09:53 PM

Last pic

Attached picture 4541228-005.JPG
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: How can I rejuvinate a dash pad? - 07/09/08 09:56 PM

Sorry, once vinyl has lost it's flexibility due to UV degradation (the plasticizers that make it flexible are destroyed) there's no way to bring it back. Some spot repairs or patches can be done with variable results, these processes add new material over the brittle areas but usually the repair is at least partially visible. Go to a local area restraunt with vinyl seats in the booths like a Denny's and ask the manager who they use to do repairs, those guys are usually pretty good.

Best bet is to remove the pad and have Just Dashes re-skin it.

Posted By: hemicop

Re: How can I rejuvinate a dash pad? - 07/10/08 07:06 PM

Picture no.1 looks like someone covered it with cloth . Assuming that's not the case & there's still some level of flexibility & compression to the padding, you might want to try baby oil to bring it back--- worked for me. If not "Just Dashes" does an excellent job, although they're a little expensive, IMO.
Posted By: mxbeep

Re: How can I rejuvinate a dash pad? - 07/12/08 01:47 AM

if its not cracked but very brittle, I usually apply 2 inches of vaseline on the top and let it soak in the hot sun for a few days.
After a few days i turn it upside down and do the same for the inner foam.

My dash pad was very brittle and close to cracking, since i let it soak in vaseline it became more soft
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: How can I rejuvinate a dash pad? - 07/16/08 02:54 AM

I see a crack on the corner in the last pic.
© 2024 Moparts Forums