Posted By: fullfloater

Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/18/09 02:07 PM

Its 6.30 Am car is ready ,getting ready to seal car

Attached picture 5490042-DCP_0013_1.JPG
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/18/09 02:10 PM

Quote:

Its 6.30 Am car is ready ,getting ready to seal car

It's now 10:15 here now...what stage is it in now?

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/18/09 02:11 PM

Here is the car sealed ,a little trash not to bad though ,its pretty humid ,but must soldier on

Attached picture 5490049-DCP_0016.JPG

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/18/09 02:14 PM

It is 9.15 now here in oklahoma ,guess i better go see if sealer is dry

Attached picture 5490055-DCP_0010.JPG

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/18/09 03:23 PM

10:30 Am First coat of base is on ,waiting on it to flash ,then will have to put stripes on ,then will clear whole car ,its goning to be a long day ,everything is drying slow from humidity

Attached picture 5490166-DCP_0001_4.JPG
Posted By: dodgem1

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/18/09 03:36 PM

ah,you might want to pull the door handles & locks out?

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/18/09 04:03 PM

Yea i was kinda thinking i ought to pull them out but didn,t ,car has new interior in it ,didn,t want to mess with pulling door panels ,this car i put togther before i painted ,motor is in etc ,i have painted cars before and then assembled ,just seems like something always gets dinged up and i have to repaint it ,car is Dark Green ,it looks black in picture ,final coat of base is on ,waiting for it so dry so i can put stripes on ,paint is BC CC Sickens Autobase plus
Posted By: Hoof Hearted

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/18/09 05:40 PM

Did Road Runners come with Glossy stripes and weren't they flat black?

That's if you want the car to appear "correct".

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/18/09 07:12 PM

Stripe is supposed to be flat black ,got stripe painted on ,got some trash as usual ,got one big peice ,gonna have sand it out and dust some more color ,its 2.00 ,hope to get this thing cleared pretty soon ,goning to be some wet sanding and buffing for sure

Attached picture 5490523-DCP_0001_5.JPG

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/18/09 09:27 PM

2 coats of clear ,finally done,looks pretty good ,will wet sand and buff in a couple of days

Attached picture 5490732-DCP_0003_4.JPG
Posted By: 68Barracuda

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/19/09 03:24 AM

Now I see the green !! Neat color, make sure you post some pics after you buff it out.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/19/09 03:29 AM

What are you doing next weekend? Need some more practice? I got a 70 dart that needs the It should be ready if the weather cooperates tomorrow.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/19/09 05:53 AM

Nice,
Please post some more photos when you can.

It looks great..

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/19/09 02:15 PM

Saturday morning ,took some pictures this morning ,maybe later today will do some wet sanding,will more than likely work on it sunday ,need to get ready to go to Monster Mopar this coming week ,need to sell some parts to finance this project

Attached picture 5492037-DCP_0001_7.JPG

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/19/09 02:16 PM

Another Picture

Attached picture 5492038-DCP_0002_6.JPG

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/19/09 02:19 PM

Here is a couple interesting ideas ,Marker lights were cloudy scratched etc ,you know how they look when 40 years old ,i used red scotchbrite pad on them and cleared them with car ,looks like it going to save me buying a new set ,i think they look awesome

Attached picture 5492045-DCP_0003_5.JPG

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/19/09 02:21 PM

Hmmmm i think the tailight need some clear ,what do you guys think

Attached picture 5492049-DCP_0004_4.JPG
Posted By: moparmojo

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/20/09 06:36 PM

Hey, it's looking really good. Keep posting pictures. I would also like to see your "trash" your talking about and a step by step on how you fix it. I love these type of posts because I can learn a lot. I'm only a novice but hope to do some paint work in my future.

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/21/09 12:13 AM

I just finished wet sanding and buffing car ,i already had this done before i saw your post ,What i,m talking about is dirt ,trash etc in clear coat ,What i did on this car was take a paint stick ,cut it off about 4-5 inches long ,Put 2000 Grit wet sand paper,Lightly sand out spots ,Then used a Heavy duty rubbing compound with a buffer ,buffer spots and whole car ,then polish with a polisher pad and polishing compound ,i try to sand and buff when its pretty green ,it sanded buffed real easy ,The longer you let the clear set ,the more Harder it will get ,The car is still taped and papered off ,so you don,t have to deal with too much compound being slung in every crack and creves in car ,Take Quick detail and detail rag and clean car up ,I woulkd recommended you find a body shop and work part time ,it takes lots of experience and time and definatly patience ,Thats what i did years ago ,i do all my own work ,heres some pictures of car outside with some 20,s on it ,I need some ideas for wheels

Attached picture 5494751-DCP_0001_8.JPG
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/21/09 12:18 AM

Quote:

I just finished wet sanding and buffing car ,i already had this done before i saw your post ,What i,m talking about is dirt ,trash etc in clear coat ,What i did on this car was take a paint stick ,cut it off about 4-5 inches long ,Put 2000 Grit wet sand paper,Lightly sand out spots ,Then used a Heavy duty rubbing compound with a buffer ,buffer spots and whole car ,then polish with a polisher pad and polishing compound ,i try to sand and buff when its pretty green ,it sanded buffed real easy ,The longer you let the clear set ,the more Harder it will get ,The car is still taped and papered off ,so you don,t have to deal with too much compound being slung in every crack and creves in car ,Take Quick detail and detail rag and clean car up ,I woulkd recommended you find a body shop and work part time ,it takes lots of experience and time and definatly patience ,Thats what i did years ago ,i do all my own work ,heres some pictures of car outside with some 20,s on it ,I need some ideas for wheels

Just curious why did you put those on the car......

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/21/09 12:22 AM

Don,t have any wheels yet ,except these 20,s that got taken off a wreck friends minivan ,all i got is stock wheels

Attached picture 5494784-DCP_0002_7.JPG

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/21/09 12:24 AM

As you notice black is hard too see being clearcoated

Attached picture 5494789-DCP_0003_6.JPG

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/21/09 12:27 AM

another

Attached picture 5494797-DCP_0006_3.JPG

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/22/09 05:16 AM

Congrats,
That looks great. How long did the paint cure before you sanded and buffed?

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/23/09 01:01 AM

Thanks ,I waited about 30 hours ,I don,t have a paint booth ,i just painted in my shop ,it sanded real easy and buffed easy ,i had a couple of runs ,they sanded out real easy ,it just depends a lot if it air dries or is baked ,i have sanded and buffed in 3 or 4 hours after baking at 160 degress for 20 minutes in a down draft Blowtherm ,i went to Sikens Paint school in Dallas about 5 years ago ,they had a new clear that you could sand and buff in 5 minutes ,You had to bake it or put a heat lamp on it for 5 minutes ,It was real toxic so we stayed away from it ,It wouldn,t activate unless heated ,it would stay wet ,It sprayed real weird ,You put a light cut ,not wet and then hammered a real heavy 2nd coat ,and that was it ,You had to have Fresh Air when you mixed and sprayed ,No exceptions
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/23/09 01:02 AM

If it was Sikkens it would be about a day before it turned hard as a rock.

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 09/24/09 04:27 AM

I painted my brothers 55 Chevy in House of Color candy red and pearl with base, tint coat and clear.
He was all done with car stuff for a while and let it sit for a month before trying to sand and buff.
That stuff was like concrete, or harder..Luckiy the paint had a nice gloss so it only got a light sand and buff..
Hopefully my 68 roadrunner will get some paint soon !!

Attached picture 5502276-PICT0760.jpg
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 10/14/09 01:02 AM

that looks great(except for those 20s.....) wouldn't wana paint another runner dark green would ya?

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 10/14/09 10:08 PM

Thanks ,I don,t have anyway to control the temp in my shop, so i have to work around the weather ,the plan was too have the car running and driving before i painted it ,but it was getting late in the year so went head and shot it ,I like to paint early in the morning ,its usually calm and no flys or bugs are flying around ,The night before i set of 2 or 3 bug bombs in the shop and seal it up ,next morning i wipe car down with a pre paint prep Sickens M600 ,I thinking of putting steelies on it ,should i go 14,s or 15,s ,any ideas what looks the best ,will use a dog dish hubcap ,have a 4 door 69 valiat with mint wheels and dog dish hubcaps ,but are afraid the wheels are too narrow ,i have taken wheels of mid 80,s New Yorkers and they are 15x7 ,but not sure if my dog dish caps will work ,unfortunately i don,t have any of these wheels around any more too check Need some ideas ,Car is getting closer ,pulled rearend out and redone it ,bearing ,brakes 323 posi etc ,it looks nice ,hope too be finished by Thanksgiving ,will post pictures soon ,thanks Guys

Attached picture 5545297-DCP_0008.JPG
Posted By: tex013

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 10/15/09 12:38 AM

what is the sikkens paint code you have used ?
my 68 is a similar green and am trying to get the proper code,i am in Australia.
thanks,
Tex

Attached picture 5545659-1300nostalgias032009.jpg
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 10/15/09 09:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks ,I don,t have anyway to control the temp in my shop, so i have to work around the weather ,the plan was too have the car running and driving before i painted it ,but it was getting late in the year so went head and shot it ,I like to paint early in the morning ,its usually calm and no flys or bugs are flying around ,The night before i set of 2 or 3 bug bombs in the shop and seal it up ,next morning i wipe car down with a pre paint prep Sickens M600 ,I thinking of putting steelies on it ,should i go 14,s or 15,s ,any ideas what looks the best ,will use a dog dish hubcap ,have a 4 door 69 valiat with mint wheels and dog dish hubcaps ,but are afraid the wheels are too narrow ,i have taken wheels of mid 80,s New Yorkers and they are 15x7 ,but not sure if my dog dish caps will work ,unfortunately i don,t have any of these wheels around any more too check Need some ideas ,Car is getting closer ,pulled rearend out and redone it ,bearing ,brakes 323 posi etc ,it looks nice ,hope too be finished by Thanksgiving ,will post pictures soon ,thanks Guys

The Valiant wheels should be small bolt pattern, they wont work anyway. I would stick with 15s, they look good on B-Body cars, Dog Dish would look nice on the car or a set of Crager S/S (old style Crager Mags) would make the green really pop.

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 10/15/09 10:09 PM

The code for this particular green is CG ,its a 2009 GM color ,I wanted something darker than F8 ,As for the wheels ,your right ,i forgot all about them being small bolt pattern ,sniffed too much paint ,does the dog dish fit only 14,s if they came on 14,s or will they work on 15,s ,thanks

Attached picture 5547460-DCP_0009.JPG
Posted By: phantomx

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 10/16/09 05:03 AM

The dog dish caps fit fine on the 80s 15x7 Diplomat/New Yorker wheels.
Travis..

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 01/17/10 09:19 PM

Its january 17 still working on Roadrunner ,getting close been working bugs out ,been driving car ,took it too town today ,washed it ,had 2 guys drooling over it before i got out of there ,sure like the way it drives ,need to do something with radio ,its just got a AM radio ,doesn,t seem too work ,need to do something here ,need tunes ,don,t want to spend a fortune on a original am fm ,any ideas ,i am about broke ,you guys that didn,t like those 20,s will this work ,i like it ,at this point would put a aftermareket radio in it ,but don,t want to cut dash ,not sure of my options ,Here are some pictures ,its kinda overcast today ,so picture quality is poor

Attached picture 5741670-DCP_0001_1.JPG

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 01/17/10 09:20 PM

engine

Attached picture 5741673-DCP_0003_1.JPG

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 01/17/10 09:21 PM

interior

Attached picture 5741674-DCP_0004_1.JPG
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 01/17/10 09:34 PM

Quote:

Its january 17 still working on Roadrunner ,getting close been working bugs out ,been driving car ,took it too town today ,washed it ,had 2 guys drooling over it before i got out of there ,sure like the way it drives ,need to do something with radio ,its just got a AM radio ,doesn,t seem too work ,need to do something here ,need tunes ,don,t want to spend a fortune on a original am fm ,any ideas ,i am about broke ,you guys that didn,t like those 20,s will this work ,i like it ,at this point would put a aftermareket radio in it ,but don,t want to cut dash ,not sure of my options ,Here are some pictures ,its kinda overcast today ,so picture quality is poor

muuuuch better without the 20's!! car looks georgous. you could mount an am fm under the dash or in the glove box. there are also companys that will convert your am radio to have am fm, but ive never priced that option.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Painting the Roadrunner Today - 01/18/10 02:25 PM

looks great!!!

heres my radio suggestion, dont put an aftermarket in the glove box. I did it and I hate it more everytime I drive the car. its a PITA to make volumn/station adjustments.
do yourself a favor and find the funds for a conversion on your existing AM unit.
© 2024 Moparts Forums