Moparts

paint for interior trim

Posted By: HoosierTA

paint for interior trim - 09/17/09 05:41 PM

I am about to install the headliner on my TA. The metal trim around the back window and window frame. What spray can paint would be good to touch up the trim?

Thanks,
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: paint for interior trim - 09/17/09 06:24 PM

The factory black paint for the metal trim around the back window is a gloss black. I used Krylon Gloss Black on my 70 Cuda.
Posted By: burdar

Re: paint for interior trim - 09/17/09 07:03 PM

I'm sure the origonal trim from my 73 Challenger is somewhat faded...but it looks to be more of a matte finish than a gloss.

Re: paint for interior trim - 09/17/09 07:38 PM

Look behind the trim piece to see the original "unfaded by the sun" color. I inially thought my trim was a matte finish also, till I was shown via paint specs by a board member that it was a gloss black paint(lacquer).
Posted By: sawdust

Re: paint for interior trim - 09/18/09 12:57 AM

The interior metal trim was actually a "Suede" finish, check the 70 service manual there will be a PPG Ditzler number for lacquer. Check with Frank Baddelson as he has some. I have some left, but only enough for our own shop. Will post number later. Just FYI it is not gloss black to be OE correct.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: paint for interior trim - 09/18/09 01:24 AM

Wasn't suede only on the 70 cars?

I agree, best thing to do is look at the backside of your own trim.

Tav

Re: paint for interior trim - 09/18/09 01:41 AM

Courtesy of beepbeep.

Attached picture 5489240-3938884-paint.jpg
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: paint for interior trim - 09/18/09 01:44 AM

Look here, last page;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/paintChipCharts/1970PaintChipCharts-01.shtml

It says Barracuda, but the applications are the same for the Challengers.
Posted By: burdar

Re: paint for interior trim - 09/18/09 02:15 AM

If I'm seeing this right...it looks like 70 is gloss and 73 is low gloss.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/paintChipCharts/_1973PaintChipCharts-01.shtml?load_img=4
Posted By: PJM

Re: paint for interior trim - 09/18/09 12:34 PM

Not sure if it is exactly correct but I used Krylon semi gloss on my 71. Looks great to my eyes.

Re: paint for interior trim - 09/18/09 02:40 PM

Quote:

If I'm seeing this right...it looks like 70 is gloss and 73 is low gloss.

I agree, it changed through the years.

Many thanks to Barry for making that wonderful resource available to us!

Tav

Re: paint for interior trim - 09/18/09 05:26 PM

Quote:

Many thanks to Barry for making that wonderful resource available to us!

Tav

Thank you Barry!
Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: paint for interior trim - 10/03/11 02:47 PM

OK, bringing this back from the grave to make sure I'm doing this right. (As I understand it based on what I read in Barry's links) On a 70 Challenger, the rear back light molding and the headliner trim on the sides should be gloss. The A pillars should be suede and the trim running at the top of the front glass should be gloss. Correct?

I'm working on these pieces this week and want to make sure I have it right. Thanks!

Re: paint for interior trim - 10/03/11 06:06 PM

Hi Joe, I'm not positive that I'm reading it correctly either, but I think the piece above the windshield is the windshield header that is mentioned on the suede side of the chart. I'm not quite sure what it means by A pillar cap. Aren't the A pillars plastic and molded in color? Maybe they were painted, and I just hadn't realized.

Tav
Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: paint for interior trim - 10/04/11 04:31 PM

Hey Tav, How's married life treating you? Good I hope!

I think you are correct on the Windshield header but like you I'm not sure about the A pillar cap. The A Pillar trim is molded in a color (Mine need freshening so I will redye mine). My side trim looks like satin or suede but I think it is because it is faded. Aesthetically, I guess the later models looked a little nicer than having the contrasting gloss finishes butting up against each other.

Re: paint for interior trim - 10/10/11 05:25 PM

Everything is going well. I'm spending most of my time remodelling the new house though, so not much time for Mopars at the moment. I'm looking forward to getting the new garage organized.

Tav
Posted By: Mike Mancini

Re: paint for interior trim - 10/10/11 10:36 PM

I sell the original lacquer paints including suedes.
© 2024 Moparts Forums