Moparts

Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone

Posted By: GTXOnsfri

Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/27/09 07:48 PM

I have a 68 GTX convertible with issues. There is only one bolt holding the left cylinder down. I should say not holding down. I already have to replace the lines that were crushed when the cylinder moved up. Where can I get a replacement bolt and nylon bushing? All I can find on-line is GM parts.

Thanks!
Posted By: Classof70Chally

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/27/09 08:02 PM

Check on E Gag. I know there is an outfit selling the entire replacement cylinders and they may have small parts also. Check out a Hemmings news magazine also, there is at least one conv top parts business that advertises there.
Posted By: 70RT27N

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/27/09 08:06 PM

You could these guys a call:

http://www.convertibleparts.com/
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/27/09 08:16 PM

There is no bolt holding that cylinder... it has a clevis pin at one end & a bracket & nut in the middle... do you have the bracket? If so then possibly the stud is broken off that the nut attaches to...

Attached File
5444849-topcylattachment.bmp  (94 downloads)
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/27/09 10:37 PM

Whats the deal with the R O C K? I know I have seen quite a few pics here with it

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/27/09 11:08 PM

Quote:

Whats the deal with the R O C K? I know I have seen quite a few pics here with it

Rock was a line worker that liked to mark the cars he worked on... Pretty consistantly he scrbbled his name on the left rear wheel house...

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/28/09 03:15 AM

I tried the convertible service website with no joy. Tomorrow I'll call them. I posted a photo of cylinder. You can see where I added a bolt to temporarily hold the cylinder down. There is a bolt on the other side (with a ripped nylon bushing covering it). You can also see where the hose was crushed at the upper connection. I'll need to replace that also. I'm not sure I understand where the bracket is, unless the whole inner side is the bracket?

Thanks

Attached picture 5445710-leftcylinder.jpg

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/28/09 03:40 AM

The whole outer plate is what I'm calling a bracket.. Instead of a bolt in that location there should be a pin.. it pivots on it so having threads creates wear points... If you look at the picture I posted above (gotta click the attachment for whatever reason) the pin has a large head on it which typically is tack welded to the plate/bracket... The same sort of pin should protrude from the top frame also.. Not a bolt....

And yeah you need hydraulic lines & replacing that cylinder wouldn't be a bad idea either... Come to think of it hey it's not my money, you should change them both...
Posted By: minivan

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/28/09 03:51 AM

I had a machine shop lathe and install a missing pin in my keeper.. I believe convertible service makes the nylon bushings than install into the holes in the cylinders, before you install the pins....

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/28/09 03:59 AM

Quote:

I had a machine shop lathe and install a missing pin in my keeper.. I believe convertible service makes the nylon bushings than install into the holes in the cylinders, before you install the pins....

On my Challenger I cheated.. The cylinders are the same size as the cylinders on a mid-late eighties K car convertible.. I found a real clean setup including the cylinders, lines & pump at Pick-N-Pull got it all for $35.00.. The cylinders have smaller holes where the center pivot goes so you don't use the bushings anymore, other than that it all is a direct bolt in.. Works well for my cheapskate nature... Unfortunately the 66-70 A,B & C body cylinders are longer though they all interchange with each other... So if you found a good A or C body setup... But A & C bodies are getting restored too these days so that pushes the new cylinders into a more needed status.. But the lines & pumps can still be salvaged from 80's & 90's Lebarons...
Posted By: Gavin

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/28/09 08:55 PM

I had the same issue as you - prior owner had intalled a bolt. Also the hole they drilled was not centred. I drilled out the hole, tapped it and welded in a bolt with the correct diameter. To ensure alignment I bolted the bracket up to the top frame (it was off the car), put the bolt though both holes and welded in place. Then I cut it in half and shortened to size.

Attached picture 5447023-vert.JPG

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/28/09 08:57 PM

Nice Repair...
Posted By: Gavin

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/28/09 09:08 PM

Quote:

Nice Repair...

Thanks...like most things on this car I tried to do it right but it did take a bit of time
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/28/09 10:59 PM

Quote:

The whole outer plate is what I'm calling a bracket.. Instead of a bolt in that location there should be a pin.. it pivots on it so having threads creates wear points...

Attached picture 5447255-cylinder_600.jpg

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/29/09 02:37 AM

Thanks, I have convertible service looking into a a bracket with a pin. I checked the other side and the pin was loose in that bracket and I can slip it out. I need to have that one welded back together too. I attached a photo of just the bracket. I'll use the bolt trick if convertible service doesn't have a replacement. Then it's on to the brake light switch that's way left of the pedal.

Attached picture 5447739-bracketandpin.jpg

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/29/09 03:05 AM

You should have two more pins attached to the top frame where the other side of the cylinder attaches...

As that pin is loose why not have a machinist duplicate it & then have them both welded to brackets...
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/29/09 10:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

On my Challenger I cheated.. The cylinders are the same size as the cylinders on a mid-late eighties K car convertible.. I found a real clean setup including the cylinders, lines & pump at Pick-N-Pull got it all for $35.00.. The cylinders have smaller holes where the center pivot goes so you don't use the bushings anymore, other than that it all is a direct bolt in.. Works well for my cheapskate nature... Unfortunately the 66-70 A,B & C body cylinders are longer though they all interchange with each other... So if you found a good A or C body setup... But A & C bodies are getting restored too these days so that pushes the new cylinders into a more needed status.. But the lines & pumps can still be salvaged from 80's & 90's Lebarons...

I got a real clean pump and cylinders and hoses from a low mile Labaron vert early 90,s
My wifes old car before the old honda was a 93 red vert with black top gray guts and the 3.0
As soon as i looked at it i knew to keep a look out at the U pull it yard.
I got it all hopeing it would work in the E body and if not just the pump would.
So you are saying the pump,hoses and cylinders will all work in the Challenger/Cuda as well as B Body?

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 08/29/09 02:38 PM

Quote:

So you are saying the pump,hoses and cylinders will all work in the Challenger/Cuda as well as B Body?

Kevin unfortunately you got the later model parts, the square boxy K-car (83-88?) vert cylinders work, early 90's ie the rounder looking body style, you can use the pump & hoses but the cylinders are wrong...

Re: Convertible cylinder mounting bolt gone - 09/07/09 12:54 AM

Ok, so here's the end result. Convert. Service had a bracket, but it was still attached to a complete frame that they didn't want to part out. I ended up fabricating a part for the bracket with a bolt and for $40, a convertible shop here in DC welded and cut the bolt. They also welded the right side barcket. I installed the brackets, new cylinder, and new lines. Just a little bit of air left in the lines. I cycled the top a number of times and it's nice to have a convertible again. Now I just need that new battery so I don't have to start the car to lower or raise the top.

One step at a time. Thanks for the tips.

Attached picture 5466359-DSC_0061.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums