Moparts

K-Frame identification E & B Body

Posted By: efisixpack

K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/19/09 04:43 PM

Ok, call me stupid but I really don't know how to differentiate between an E-body and B-body K Frame. I have looked for a part number on 2 I have but can not find them anywhere. Is there a specific place to find the part number on these? I just don't want to accidentily install the wrong one and have any problems. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/19/09 05:13 PM

I'd like to know the difference too.
If it has a skid plate and a little metal disc welded to the front, is the an E or B body K-frame?
Posted By: flypaper

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/19/09 05:37 PM

the main differance is the angle that the steering box mounts.
that would be the area thats different between the two..
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/19/09 06:01 PM

Is the angle different enough that you can see it with the naked eye?

Perhaps all we need is a photo of the angle and we'll be able to see the difference.

Tav
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/19/09 06:31 PM

depents on what years your talking about. ! know 1970-72 b-body interchange with 1970-74 e-body. Skid plat indicated HP car, but they all will take small/big blocks with just motor mounts.

1969 earlier have the swaybar that goes under the k-member, while 1970+ has the swaybar through it. they will bolt under each other, though it would move engine location on some models depending on the k-member. I don't have any pics to show the diffrence.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/20/09 01:03 AM

E-body and '71-'72 B-body K-members interchange.

'70 B-body is different.

The steering box mounts at more of an angle on '66-'70 B-bodies.
Posted By: efisixpack

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/20/09 03:18 AM

Is there an easy way to distiguish the difference visually between them? I believe I may have a B-body K-frame in my 70 challenger (always been just a driver/beater and never paid much attention to it) but I do have steering issues which have led me in this direction of questioning. Any other tips so I can be sure of what I have? Thanks for the responses so far.

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/20/09 03:49 AM

If the steering box is aligned nicely with the steering column, you have the correct K-member. The steering coupler will not have much of an angle.
Posted By: Gavin

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/20/09 11:51 AM

The disc (tag) welded to the front has the last 2 digits of the part number....other will hopefully chip in with the list of numbers.

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/20/09 12:55 PM

Quote:

The disc (tag) welded to the front has the last 2 digits of the part number....other will hopefully chip in with the list of numbers.

Thanks, that's the information I needed.
Posted By: Ron_M

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/20/09 02:34 PM

Identifying K-Members, located here (Schumacher website):

www.engine-swaps.com

3 pages worth!~

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/20/09 04:07 PM

Unfortunately, that link does not show the difference between E-body and pre '71 E-body K-members.
Posted By: Gavin

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/20/09 06:38 PM

From my archives! (i.e. stored prior Moparts posts... )
Last 2 digits of part numbers that appear on tag....

# 52 is late 70 E-Body 318/340/383 & T/A
#74 is late 70&71 383/440 w/skid plate E-body
#74 is also 71 B&E Body V-8 (except hemi )W/Skid
#74 is also 73 E-body 318/340 W/skid plare

that's all I have..
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/20/09 09:09 PM

I have a Bare K Frame sitting in my Garage I pulled from a 1970 440-6, 4 speed Cuda, the number on the K frame is 77.
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/21/09 06:35 AM

I have a K-Frame from a 71 383 Charger, W/O skid plate. The number on the tag is #12.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/21/09 02:17 PM

The early 70 cars don't have the coins. It was started during 70 model year and continued after that.

K Frame part #'s

Tav

Attached picture 5431219-Kframepart#s.jpg

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/21/09 04:31 PM

Interesting! So according to the chart, #12 would be P/N #2962012 for 70 E-Body with 318/340/383 engines.

This even though my #12 k-frame came off a 1971 B-Body 383 car???

Now I’m suspect because according to this Frank Adkins book:

66-to-72 B-Body and 70-to-74 E-body k-members ALL interchange the only variances being the sway bar mounts.

Now I’m going to have to dig out my original 68 Charger k-member and compare it to my 71 Charger #12 k-member.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/21/09 07:49 PM

"Interchange" can be a fairly loose term, all of those mentioned will physically interchange but there are differences besides the sway bar mount. The steering box angle is definitely a factor in the B/E interchange after '70. AMHIK

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/22/09 02:49 PM

Thanks for the information guys. We found out that the K-frame in my buddy's '69 Road Runner has been changed to a '70 E-body with skid plate. I painted the engine compartment a year ago and realized the the steering column didn't line up properly with the box.

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/22/09 04:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the information guys. We found out that the K-frame in my buddy's '69 Road Runner has been changed to a '70 E-body with skid plate. I painted the engine compartment a year ago and realized the the steering column didn't line up properly with the box.

What kind of issues does that cause having the steering box at a slightly forward angle?

After reading the conflicting data between the fore mentioned book and the info in this thread, I went and compared the k-frames from a 68 Charger and one from the 71 Charger.

Yes, there is a slight pitch difference in steering box angle as well as the idler arm bracket.

This is unfortunate news as I purchased the 71 k-frame to swap into my 69 Road Runner because I want to front mount single piston disc brake calipers.

Re: K-Frame identification E & B Body - 08/22/09 04:31 PM

Regarding the '69 Road Runner with the '70 E-body K-frame, here is a photo showing the steering shaft angle as it goes into the coupler. This should be straight but makes you slide the steering column toward the center of the car instead of being centered with the hole in the firewall.
When I disassembled the engine compartment to paint it, there were flat washers under the steering box to correct the angle.

Attached picture 5433406-A12_RM23M9A280_engine_compartment_120.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums