Moparts

New Repop oil filters

Posted By: 70challrtse

New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 10:33 AM

Is anyone repoping the original oil filters that were used in 1970? Thanks.
Posted By: Captain Flapjack

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 05:02 PM

the assy line green ones arent made

there is a mopar repo of the early 70s red white blue logo filter made

but no option right now for the $$$$$ orig green filters
Posted By: sixpaktoogo

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 05:07 PM

Quote:

Is anyone repoping the original oil filters that were used in 1970? Thanks.

Mopar Performance is showing them in their catalog, as coming out this year. Don't hold your breath!!!!!!!!
Posted By: anlauto

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 05:08 PM

Are you referring to part number 77R06287 in the new 2008 Mopar Restoration Parts Supplement Catalog ?

I was hoping to find them at Carlisle this Summer.
The catalog just says "late availablity"

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 05:12 PM

Quote:

Are you referring to part number 77R06287 in the new 2008 Mopar Restoration Parts Supplement Catalog ?

I was hoping to find them at Carlisle this Summer.
The catalog just says "late availablity"

Yes, I was.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 05:25 PM

I hope they use a good vendor.Hate to see it end up a cardboard filled Fram!

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 05:27 PM

Quote:

the assy line green ones arent made

there is a mopar repo of the early 70s red white blue logo filter made

but no option right now for the $$$$$ orig green filters

I was referring to the green ones. So there are not any presently available? What do the NOS filters go for? Thanks

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 05:31 PM

Well,about a year ago thee of them went for over $700 on eBay.
Posted By: MuscleMopars

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 05:34 PM

These are available from Mopar Performance.

Attached picture 4519013-Moparoilfilter.JPG

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 06:42 PM

Wrong filter.This is the one in question.

Attached picture 4519153-3760542-oilfilter.jpg
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 07:04 PM

Quote:

and are only correct for 1972 and later

the green one is not due out until late summer. I ck'd a few days ago. And I SERIOUSLY doubt there will be any at Carlisle or the Nats (repops that is )

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 08:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

and are only corect for 1072 and later

the green one is not due out until late summer. I ck'd a few days ago. And I SERIOUSLY doubt there will be any at Carlisle or the Nats (repops that is )

Bill, please let me know if the correct filter becomes available before the Nats,or if you know of a reasonably priced Nos filter. Thanks.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 08:39 PM

I may bring a few NOS ones to those shows...for those who cant wait for a repro that will likely not have the grit like originals.

Attached picture 4519354-green5.JPG

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 08:51 PM

Are they correct for my 70 Challenger?
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 09:26 PM

Quote:

Are they correct for my 70 Challenger?

Yes
Posted By: Mike Mancini

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 10:14 PM

Here's a repro......could it be a figment of my imagination? Grit and all...

Attached picture 4519503-DSC04075.JPG

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 10:21 PM

wait for iiiit.......and.....done.

Attached picture 4519514-DSC04078.JPG
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/29/08 10:33 PM

Who makes the '72+ red, white, and blue repro oil filters for Mopar, and who makes the green repro ones?

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/30/08 01:43 AM

Quote:

Here's a repro......could it be a figment of my imagination? Grit and all...

whos selling them and how much??? looks like a nice piece, that means my NOS ones are not worth anything anymore.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/30/08 02:56 AM

Now if Michael's has this telltale embossed M on the top, it's an excellent looking piece ...even if a detail freak may notice the omission of the letters M.R. found on originals... under the O circled R following MOPAR.....

Attached picture 4520081-green4.JPG
Posted By: MuscleMopars

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/30/08 03:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

and are only correct for 1972 and later

They are correct on earlier cars if you changed your oil in 72 or later...
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/30/08 06:34 AM

Quote:

...even if a detail freak may notice the omission of the letters M.R. found on originals... under the O circled R following MOPAR.....

That is a really nice piece....But, as you noticed Terry, seems there's always some small detail that gets missed.
Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/30/08 11:38 AM

What were the gold filters used on and when?
Posted By: 426runner

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/30/08 11:42 AM

Quote:

whos selling them and how much???

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/30/08 12:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...even if a detail freak may notice the omission of the letters M.R. found on originals... under the O circled R following MOPAR.....

That is a really nice piece....But, as you noticed Terry, seems there's always some small detail that gets missed.

you guys amaze me, nothing gets by haha. (those two letters got screwed up on my silk screen and I left them off this one thinking..who would notice?) Stand By.....
Posted By: MattMPA

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/30/08 02:49 PM

I for one, did not realize that the red/white/blue filters were '72 and newer correct...good info.

For years, I was under the assumption that the oil filters were on the engine when it was painted...like negative battery cables, etc.

So...does anyone know for certain if that "assembly line" filters would have been painted or overpsrayed engine color?
Posted By: Ronnman

Re: New Repop oil filters - 06/30/08 02:58 PM

I remember my 72 Satellite Sebring Plus had a 400-2V and
it's oil filter was painted blue like the engine. It was a short version of the normal oil filter. I also remember having a hard time removing the filter since some gorilla must have tightened it until it screamed.
Ron
Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/01/08 10:48 AM

How did they break-in the motors? Was it before they were painted? When was the first filter changed?
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/05/08 04:01 PM

I remember an original 1971 Dart and 74 Duster 318-2V and the oil filter was painted blue like the engine.

I have never seen a factory installed original assembly line filter on a 383 or 440 engine prior to 1972.

The Ad for the Hemi engine published by Chrysler Corp in 1967 shows th eengine painted and it does not appear that the filter has any over spray. However, it is not a very crisp photo.

Attached picture 4532365-Hemi_ad_001_l.jpg

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/05/08 04:06 PM

Quote:

I remember an original 1971 Dart and 74 Duster 318-2V and the oil filter was painted blue like the engine.

I have never seen a factory installed original assembly line filter on a 383 or 440 engine prior to 1972.

The Ad for the Hemi engine published by Chrysler Corp in 1967 shows th eengine painted and it does not appear that the filter has any over spray. However, it is not a very crisp photo.

But it also doesn't have the exhaust manifolds painted!
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/05/08 04:21 PM

...and the saga continues.

This is the only color photo that I have ever seen of a 426 Hemi Engine. It was most likley taken at the Marysville plant in Marysville, MI in about 1966 by the Chrysler AD adgency.

What we do not know is this was a spriced up version under a controlled situation for the AD. Let's not try to draw any firm conclusions. Take it for what it is worth until someone can produce some objective assembly line color shots.

I'm aware from a photograph of a 1967 426 Hemi crate engine that was ordeded from the dealer in late 1969 and there was no oil filter in place. The oil filter mounting area had masking tape over it.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/06/08 09:53 PM

Quote:

How did they break-in the motors? Was it before they were painted? When was the first filter changed?

I believe it was changed during dealer prep after the car was delivered to the dealership. And the style pictured here would have been installed then.
In a related question, when doing a concours restoration, would restoring a car to showroom condition be acceptable or does it have to be to off the assembly line condition?
In my case I have a T/A, sold by Mr. Norms. I'd rather have Mr. Norms decal on the spoiler and Norms license plate frames on the car when its done. For that matter, to make the car assembly line correct, the exhaust tips would need to be loose in the trunk, not installed. That seems sort of ridiculous.
And for my restoration to showroom condition, this oil filter would be correct, not the green one.

Attached picture 4534650-dealeroilfilter001.jpg
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/06/08 11:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I believe it was changed during dealer prep after the car was delivered to the dealership. And the style pictured here would have been installed then.
In a related question, when doing a concours restoration, would restoring a car to showroom condition be acceptable or does it have to be to off the assembly line condition?
In my case I have a T/A, sold by Mr. Norms. I'd rather have Mr. Norms decal on the spoiler and Norms license plate frames on the car when its done. For that matter, to make the car assembly line correct, the exhaust tips would need to be loose in the trunk, not installed. That seems sort of ridiculous.
And for my restoration to showroom condition, this oil filter would be correct, not the green one.

Can anyone document their original filter as driven off the dealer's lot? Any Mopar filter has to be perfectly acceptable for concours judging, doesn't it?
Posted By: MLR426

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/07/08 12:10 PM

I don't understand people wanting to put nos filters on they're motors. Were talking about a filter that's 40 years old. The paper has to have some deterioration and most likely would come apart. Now if it is changed out before each show and motor isn't started that's different.
The question is who is the manufacturer of the repop filters ? Is it a good brand ? If it's fram
I would vote against it.

logan426
Posted By: LilRedDave

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/08/08 02:27 PM

Wow, you guys should worry more about wearing out the pedal pads and seat covers than about what your oil filter looks like.

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/19/08 07:16 PM

Quote:

Now if Michael's has this telltale embossed M on the top, it's an excellent looking piece ...even if a detail freak may notice the omission of the letters M.R. found on originals... under the O circled R following MOPAR.....

OK....finally found time. This should apease the gods.

Attached picture 4561793-DSC04212.JPG

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/19/08 07:17 PM

and.......

Attached picture 4561800-DSC04214.JPG

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/20/08 01:28 AM

so when are these little GEMS going to be available and the cost?
im need 6 right away plus 8 for the shelf.
Posted By: sixbbl69

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/20/08 02:15 AM

i need 7 right away and oh wait a minute i already have a case from the 70's on the shelf.they were expensive $2.50 each but money is no object.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/20/08 02:27 AM

Quote:

i need 7 right away and oh wait a minute i already have a case from the 70's on the shelf.they were expensive $2.50 each but money is no object.

Jerry,I only need one!
Posted By: RJS

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/20/08 12:39 PM

Quote:

Like he said...

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/20/08 01:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Like he said...

another intelligent answer from RJS.

Attached picture 4562921-588coronetenginehemicudahemiroadrunner,65dodgeinterior,013.jpg
Posted By: RJS

Re: New Repop oil filters - 07/20/08 08:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Like he said...

another intelligent answer from RJS.

WOW!!! I think you have me confused with someone else Chris, I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU.
© 2024 Moparts Forums