Moparts

Changing original colors...good or bad?

Posted By: cudabitten

Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 12:09 AM

Getting a 74 barracuda soon, it is white exterior and green interior, was going to change it to blue exterior and black interior. Looking for some opinions on changing these colors, the car is almost completely original. I almost hate to do it, but I don't think this car looks good in the original colors. What do you think?
Posted By: new bee

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 12:48 AM

"It's your car - do what you want" is a bit simplistic, but it rings true. I changed the color of my 1969 Super Bee from gold (blech) to vitaman C orange, which was available in 1969 (apparently, no super Bees were painted this color, but hey).
So far, everyone loves it (I think) and it makes me much happier. Thing is, the next fanatic after me is more than welcome to change it back to (blech) gold.
Now, if it was a numbers matching hemi car, there may be a case for keeping it original. However, there was a recent article on the owner of a 1960s Ferrai 250 GTO (worth, what...15-20 million?) who changed the color to metallic red. He loves it, and purists be damned. It's his car, and when it comes time to sell, he'll get all the money for it. You and I, on the other hand, own mass produced cars so what's the harm?
I would say paint it your choice of colors, but if you wanna play it safe, pic a color available for your car's year.
Then drive the heck out of it.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 01:02 AM

Quote:

"It's your car - do what you want" is a bit simplistic, but it rings true. I changed the color of my 1969 Super Bee from gold (blech) to vitaman C orange, which was available in 1969 (apparently, no super Bees were painted this color, but hey).

Yep! Just don't come crying to the board when you decide to sell it and can't because they don't buy color change cars or don't agree with your personal taste in the color you changed it to.

IMO you should not color change an original collector car, It's expensive to do correctly and just as expensive to reverse should the next guy want to, this fact usually reduces the cars value by the cost of reversing it. My advice? sell the car if you don't like it and use the money to buy one that has the combo you like, it will be worth it in the long run. You asked for opinions, there's mine.

Posted By: 70runner

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 01:31 AM

Scott, I gotta disagree with you. I think most folks that change a color, add an option, or otherwise alter an original build do so recognizing the potential risk. I don't see many folks around these (mo)parts whining about such choices.

Its your car. Do with it what you wish.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 01:38 AM

My 1970 Coronet is white with green guts, I love it that way myself.
Posted By: topside

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 02:10 AM

Years ago when these were just cool old cars, I bought a white '68 Roadrunner that had the burgundy (Decor) interior. I really wanted to change it to black, until a friend mentioned that he couldn't recall seeing my car's combination. I restored the car to its original colors, and not only did I come to really like it, I never saw another one at the same show, and people used to comment constantly that they loved seeing something other than blue, red, or orange with black interior.
I've come to regard black interiors as too common & boring, except where no other interior color would work with the exterior. (It's your car, but since you asked, these are both sides of my opinion.) It's very expensive to color-change a Mopar body, since everything's painted body color. If this is a mainstream 318 car and it needs paint & interior, and you pick something appropriate to the car, it sure wouldn't make you a bad person or anything. That said, colors are pretty personal; while I might be tempted to paint that car F8 & keep the green interior, other people would hate it, and value the car accordingly.
Posted By: Roadcuda

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 02:21 AM

Quote:

Scott, I gotta disagree with you. I think most folks that change a color, add an option, or otherwise alter an original build do so recognizing the potential risk. I don't see many folks around these (mo)parts whining about such choices.

I'm not sure that is completly true. When I bought my Roadrunner I'll admit that I didn't do enough research to see if the exterior or interior colors were correct. There is no build sheet, and the fact that it's a Lynch road car where the fender tags are known to not always have a complete list of options made it difficult to know what was done correctly and what was not when the previous owner had the paint and interior done over. I now know that the F5 paint is no where near the correct shade. I know this from looking inside the trunk and engine compartment where the original paint is still there. And the interior should be green, it is now black, and the car was redone without the vinal roof it came with. I get the feeling that some people will do what they want and like to a car reguardless of what it may do to the value of it down the road. Again, it's that "it's their car and they did what they wanted with it."

Attached picture 4518019-IM000356.JPG

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 02:31 AM

Quote:

I don't see many folks around these (mo)parts whining about such choices.

Well I have, some publically, and some privately....

Either way, there are two schools of thought being posted here and I respect both, my opinion is what it is. I have watched the market pretty closely over the years and I've noticed a pattern with buyers, the more valuable the car, the more originallity (regardless of the options) comes into play concerning what they'll pay, and many won't buy at all regardless of the price if it's been color changed unless the car is REALLY priced low.

Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 05:58 AM

It's a 74 Barracuda, not a 71 Hemi Cuda rag. Not like you're flushing 25k down the drain by changing the color or something. I say build it like you want it and tough to people who don't like it.

My satellite's changed from the original triple white, 318 bench seat combo to red with rr stripe with a 440. Somehow I think the value only went up by doing those changes, but again, it's no 100k car here. 74 Barracuda is on the lower end of the E body scale, I would worry too much about it, if need be it can always be changed later. IMO no sense in doing something in a color combo you won't enjoy. But then I don't build cars to sell, I build them for me.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 07:13 AM

Original is always best for resale value. If its a rare car or something I'd go original, if not screw it.

But its your car, paint it whatever car you like. Don't let the market or anybody else tell you what to paint it!!

I painted my 68 RR vitamin C orange, even though the color was never offered that year. Why? because my dad was in love with that color. And it was his dream car as a little kid.

In the end, your the one driving it, not anyone else on moparts.
Posted By: 70challrtse

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 10:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

IMO you should not color change an original collector car, It's expensive to do correctly and just as expensive to reverse should the next guy want to, this fact usually reduces the cars value by the cost of reversing it. My advice? sell the car if you don't like it and use the money to buy one that has the combo you like, it will be worth it in the long run. You asked for opinions, there's mine.

Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 01:24 PM

Quote:

Getting a 74 barracuda soon, it is white exterior and green interior, was going to change it to blue exterior and black interior. Looking for some opinions on changing these colors, the car is almost completely original. I almost hate to do it, but I don't think this car looks good in the original colors. What do you think?

I would change the colors on that car in a heartbeat and never look back.
On a side note,my friend is changing his 71 Cuda from white to red.I'm not too sure about that one.I kinda like the white on the 71.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 01:33 PM

Quote:

It's a 74 Barracuda, not a 71 Hemi Cuda rag. Not like you're flushing 25k down the drain by changing the color or something. I say build it like you want it and tough to people who don't like.
74 Barracuda is on the lower end of the E body scale, I would worry too much about it, if need be it can always be changed later. IMO no sense in doing something in a color combo you won't enjoy. But then I don't build cars to sell, I build them for me.

well said and i agree 1000%. from the guy with a 600+ ci hemi powered 72 Road Runner with original N96 air grabber V21 V25 hood and deck lid stripe car. with 2 tone black and blue interior. with original equipped drivers and non original PASSENGER side 6 way seat adjusters.
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 01:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's a 74 Barracuda, not a 71 Hemi Cuda rag. Not like you're flushing 25k down the drain by changing the color or something. I say build it like you want it and tough to people who don't like.
74 Barracuda is on the lower end of the E body scale, I would worry too much about it, if need be it can always be changed later. IMO no sense in doing something in a color combo you won't enjoy. But then I don't build cars to sell, I build them for me.

well said and i agree 1000%. from the guy with a 600+ ci hemi powered 72 Road Runner with original N96 air grabber V21 V25 hood and deck lid stripe car. with 2 tone black and blue interior. with original equipped drivers and non original PASSENGER side 6 way seat adjusters.

Indeed the more rare and/or desirable the car the more important it is in retaining its originality. That being said, noting that the guy should simply sell the car and buy another one isnt really realistic. No its not, first you may take quite some time selling an ugly color 74 Barracuda. Assuming even that he may lose some money selling the car. Paint that car the color you want. You wont lose any more money painting it the color you want, than what you would trying to sell an "unpopular unappealing color car." When a car appeals to the crowd or a buyer its upon first view. The knockout appeal. I for one wouldnt say Oh I love that high impact color car, but sorry I wont buy it cause its not "blehh gold". As said before its not a numbers match Hemi car, its a 74 Barracuda. He didnt say it was even a 340 car. Might even be a 318 car. Now who is gonna say the color is important with that?? Fit and finish sell the average car gents, fit and finish.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 04:01 PM

Here is another take on this.....

Why does every friggin Mopar have to be purple, lime green, or orange?? Why not dare to be different and go back to the original shade??

Many of the so-called "dud" colors actually look pretty nice when freshly applied. Many years ago, when I restored my 70 Challenger, I had considered straying from the original FK5(Deep burnt orange). The only time I ever saw this color, it was faded to a dull brown. After talking to the painter, I decided to go back to FK5. What a knockout color!! This car looks killer, especially out in the sun. And I went through the same thing with my 66 Coronet. Never in a million years would I have ever thought I would love the way a gold car looks. This car looks great! With all of the chrome 500 trim, this car looks awesome!! If this car was painted a "high-impact" color, it would look terrible, IMO.

I am not trying to stifle anyones individuality, just offering another opinion, that's all. If you want to paint your car any color you wish, be my guest.

MB

Attached picture 4518831-66coronet001(Small).jpg
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 04:56 PM

It's a 74 Barracuda and I'm assuming a 318 car so it's pretty low in the overall picture in comparison to other 1970-74 E Bodys.
With that in mind I don't think a colour change will hurt it's potential value.
Making it a more desirable colour may actually increase the potential amount of buyers.
IMPORTANT RULE:
If you want to maintain the ora of originalty it MUST be painted an original 74 colour that would have been avaiable on E Bodys.
Painting it ANYTHING else would be considered a modified car and you now narrowed the market considerbly with your own personal taste which may not appeal to everyone. Including such factory colours as Plum Crazy and Hemi Orange.

I agree strongly with the above statements that odd colours or combinations of colours such as white/green will certainly gain more attention at shows and whatnot then rows of purple and orange cars.
Nothing would look finer then a properly restored green interior in a white car.

If you truly can't stand the colour combo, and you're somewhat of a purist, then possibly consider buying another car

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 05:07 PM

The percentage of true purist in the hobby is very small compared to the rest that just enjoy these old cars. The reason there are so many Red, Black, Blue, Orange, Purple cars is because that is what people want today on these cars.

I don't think that a color change from Green or Gold to a more saleable color hurts one bit. In fact I think that that in this type of case it makes the car sell faster for at least the same money as the original color of more. If you are not changing for the sake of resale than it makes no difference because it is for the owners enjoyment

I agree that the high impact colors just don't look right on the older cars that they were not originally available on.
Posted By: Michael

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 05:18 PM

Keep original color.
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 05:42 PM

I vote for keeping the original color combo.
What about adding the factory black vinyl stripe to spice it up? It can always be pulled back off when you need to.
Posted By: biginchmotor

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 06:03 PM

Cudabit...I have a 74 Barracuda that is ready for paint also and I am not sure what color to go with. The car will be a driver to enjoy. The original color was Frost Green Metallic. It has a black interior. I am looking into a gold or gray color myself, do what you like and you will be happy with the results, John.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/29/08 06:49 PM

Quote:

The percentage of true purist in the hobby is very small compared to the rest that just enjoy these old cars. The reason there are so many Red, Black, Blue, Orange, Purple cars is because that is what people want today on these cars.

I don't think that a color change from Green or Gold to a more saleable color hurts one bit. In fact I think that that in this type of case it makes the car sell faster for at least the same money as the original color of more. If you are not changing for the sake of resale than it makes no difference because it is for the owners enjoyment

Best said quote here!...........basically do what you desire,......I say who cares if its numbers matching, all original......do it the way you want,...and if you decide to sell it someday, and the first joker decides he dosen't like it cause the color was changed....oh well move aside!, there'll be others who want to buy it!

The purist would cringe......I'm taking a numbers matching FM3 rubber bumpered sm blk Cuda'.....dropping in a 440/6, painting it black, adding a Shaker, go-wing, etc......cause that what I want to do!.......If I ever sell it, and I get the money I want for it.......then everybodies happy........do what you want, don't be swayed.......original, custom,cloned, what you want!

Attached picture 4519164-11111111111111111111111111111.jpg
Posted By: gtsuperbee

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/30/08 04:12 AM

My m-code bee was originally orange and automatic. Now that it is black and a 4spd, I am still in love with it after all these years. Had I put it back to original, it would have been sold as soon as I finished it if I even finished it at all. Go with your heart. By the way, I've gotten some pretty serious offers on my car, and it's about as far from stock as it gets.
Posted By: rm23j8g

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/30/08 01:03 PM

Unless it was a parts car, or a project in need of a total restoration, I wouldn't even consider a color changed car, because of the money and work involved to put it back.
It may be just me, but I like them to be the way they were built.
Posted By: Erik

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/30/08 03:43 PM

Change the color isf you don't like what you have.

I am changing the color of my 70 Challenger R/T. It was an original Top Banana car and I don't like yellow at all. The car was painted blue when I got it, it doesn't have the build sheet or fender tag, so it's going to end up Plum Crazy (which was the color of my first Challenger back in high school). I am also changing the color of my '68 cuda from Gold to Omaha Orange. Once again - I am doing it b/c I like that color more than Gold.

I am not building them for anyone else or for resale. I am building them for me to enjoy them. If I sell them down the road and the purists pass on them, that's fine w/ me.
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/30/08 03:54 PM

Nothing wrong with green and white if it is done right.
Lots of people hate green but it is funny how many cars Ma built with the color green inside and/or inside.
It is your car and I respect your choices.

Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/30/08 04:38 PM

I'll spare you the "it's your car, do what you want" sentiments 'cause that should be UNDERSTOOD. You ASKED for opinions, and mine is to keep it the stock colors. Scott and HPMike said it best (no huge surprise! ) so I'll avoid reiterating. If you really want to change something, the interior isn't as big a deal than a properly done color change IMO.

Dave
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/30/08 05:08 PM

I don't like colour changed cars in general but if you can't live with the white it's your car.
I also don't know why every Mopar has to be Hemi Orange or Plum Crazy purple. The reason we like these cars is because they are unique, part of that uniqueness comes from the weird colour combo's they came in. I don't like red Camaro's that much either.
If this is a 360 Cuda please don't change the colour. If it's a 318 car it won't be as much of a blow to the value of it but I still prefer them in their original colours.

Sheldon

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/30/08 05:14 PM

If you're gonna do an anally correct nut and bolt high-dollar show car resto, don't change the color.

If you just want a nice driver/local show car, I doubt a well-done color change, especially from a less-desirable color to a more-desirable color, would hurt the value.

That said, I'd leave this one white with a green interior, for two reasons: 1) the car is so original, and 2) blue-with-a-black interior has been done to death.
Posted By: NigelTufnel

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/30/08 05:29 PM

Quote:

If you're gonna do an anally correct nut and bolt high-dollar show car resto, don't change the color.

If you just want a nice driver/local show car, I doubt a well-done color change, especially from a less-desirable color to a more-desirable color, would hurt the value.

That said, I'd leave this one white with a green interior, for two reasons: 1) the car is so original, and 2) blue-with-a-black interior has been done to death.

he said 'anally' uh huh huh!

the car in my sig has been in my family since 1984. It was originally GY3 Citron Yella/White Int. I hate that combo.. ok i like white interiors but that yellow is ridiculous. Guess I'll paint it J4 'Moss Green' and never sell it.

and that's your answer. Keepin' it? do what you want. Selling it...? do what you want.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/30/08 05:46 PM

Me personally, I would not change anything that can't be changed back in a weekend

remember,,,,,you asked

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/30/08 05:46 PM

Quote:

he said 'anally' uh huh huh!

From Wikipedia:

Quote:

The term anal-retentive (or anally retentive, anal retentive), commonly abbreviated to "anal", is used conversationally to describe a person with such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, and can be carried out to the detriment of the anal-retentive person. The term derives from Freudian psychoanalysis.

Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/30/08 05:57 PM

Plain truth is it's yours and you can, will, and should do what ever it is you choose in the end.

As stated with a later model, non-high end car I think if you stay with available color combos from that model year you can't go too wrong.
If you are wrestling with it just changing the interior color only to black, and saving the original panels won't hurt the value at all IMO
You could always add a cool factory color stripe of your choice.

My car is a 340 4spd with matching #'s. If it weren't it would be triple black, but I'm going back red . It will look awesome but I love the triple black cars
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 06/30/08 06:07 PM

depends on the car.
I am going to color change the vert too when ever if ever i start back working on the e body vert.
i changed from the gold and black dart sport to FM3 since i had the paint and car was on a budjet. i had the drive line so just body and paint so car was dome on the cheap.
body and paint cost 1K or so and i had the whole drive line.
So it was a no brainer to just use what i had and get the car done and cheap.Yea it was and is a 340-4 car{H code} but was also just a 73 with the nose
The vert was a B5 blue with black top car but will be sublime /black top and guts but was just a 318 car with 340six stroker{423six}
Posted By: RO23J71

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 07/01/08 10:19 PM

If your selling your house and it has a swimming pool then it may add value to some people if they want a pool. If the buyer doesn't, it takes away from the value. Who knows, the person looking to buy your car in the future may want it because of the changes you made and be willing to pay a little more because of that. If it is not a super valuable car then do it the way you want it. You will be happier having the car your way and that is really what matters. Remember, these cars were built at a time when customizing them was what you did. You made them yours by making them unique. It was only after they became investments that it became taboo to personalize them.
Posted By: TrueTripleX

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 07/02/08 12:33 AM

It is YOUR car and YOU shold be happy. Now saying that, I also agree to a point with Scott onattempting to keep it original. take a look at this car http://rides.webshots.com/album/272193656tJftDq
I did this for a customer in custom gray with the engine compartment in black. That is what made him happy and this car takes more trophys than the "purist" completely original cars. But more important, the customer is completely in love with the car the way it is. But then agian, he will NEVER sell this car. Look to your heart and go with it.

Attached picture 4524730-shopphoto4cars.JPG
Posted By: JRepucci

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 07/02/08 01:05 AM

I'll put in my two cents for what its worth. If your car is rare and has historical value tied into its rarity then the original color is the only way to go. Then this brings rarity into the equation as well as historically significant, what are meant by these... well not to offend any one but a 1970 barracuda convertible with a 383 4 barrel may be rare but it has no historical value... someone old, or someone lame ordered it, bought it and kept it all original because it was never more then just transportation. Now anything multicarbed, or has a big wing and a pointy nose should be painted the factory color. Any car model that could only be had with a performance engine should have the same treatment.
And if your trying to relive old memories... go for it and do what you want... if you have a good foundation but its a color that you dislike don't go out and buy a P.O.S just because its a cool color and have to replace every panel...just remember after it painted the wrong color and when you do get rid of it there maybe a few people who disagree with what you did..tell them its just a Challenger, or just a Coronet!!!

oh ya... never, never, never paint the bottom of the car body color and call it restored! Its now a custom!
Posted By: Iceman01

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 07/02/08 07:28 PM

Obviously it's your choice, but even that depends on several factors. Are you flipping or even considering selling in the future? Or did you buy it because you love it and are going to keep it forever? Only you know the answers.

I changed my original color. Here's my scenario. Bought it because I always wanted one. Have no intention of selling. Car was a numbers matching R/T and totally original -- 383 4-speed, Plum Crazy with white butt stripe, white top and white interior. Not a bad combo, but pretty common. The kicker was that there was no fender tag (early accident) and as an LA-built car, it didn't have a build sheet anywhere to be found. Without these two items, and coupled with the fact that is "only" a 383, I decided to turn it into the car I would have ordered and purchased new, if I could have. I figure as long as I'm happy, that's all that matters. The restoration is well documented with photos and all paperwork, so in the unlikely event I should ever sell it, I will never represent the car as anything other than what it really is.
Posted By: Iron_Iceberg

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 07/02/08 08:02 PM

I have a fairly desirable 70 Cuda, original V code with original block, shaker hood car. Original F8 green paint, black vinyl top, and green interior.
The car needs a full resto.
I just hate the green interior. I love the green paint, vinyl top etc. but the green interior makes me want to puke.
The car needs all new interior and some one did make a half baked attempt at a color change to black in its past. So not much green worth saving.
Would it really kill the selling price later on by going to a black interior? Are their really that many people who like green interiors on green cars? I don't know, That white car with a green interior looks great but green on green in green ick. This will drive me crazy. I really want to do a black interior but I would hate to loose any history or future cash if I have to sell by making the change.
What to you think Scott? How much of a loss.

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 07/02/08 08:56 PM

Quote:

I have a fairly desirable 70 Cuda, original V code with original block, shaker hood car. Original F8 green paint, black vinyl top, and green interior.
I just hate the green interior. I love the green paint, vinyl top etc. but the green interior makes me want to puke.
The car needs all new interior and some one did make a half baked attempt at a color change to black in its past. So not much green worth saving.
Would it really kill the selling price later on by going to a black interior? Are their really that many people who like green interiors on green cars? I don't know, That white car with a green interior looks great but green on green in green ick. This will drive me crazy. I really want to do a black interior but I would hate to loose any history or future cash if I have to sell by making the change.

That's almost EXACTLY the position I was in:

- '70 V code Superbee, orig. motor, F8, Black vinyl top, Green interior. Car was previously the subject of an aborted amature resto where it was on it's way to becoming Sublime with a black interior....

The interior was shot, but what WAS there was black. I really struggled to decide to keep the black stuff or to go with the green as per the fender tag. There was never any question on the exterior paint as I love the dark green and I also really liked the black vinyl top and butt stripe. Eventually I decided to go with the green as I don't mind how it looks and I got a little bored looking at all the black interiors out there, but it wasn't an easy decision.

There will always be collectors that want the car to be as correct as possible, particularly a rare V code, shaker E-body, but as much as I'm a self professed purist (hated as we are around here!) I don't consider an interior color change to be as detrimental as an exterior color change: the interior stuff is much easier to switch back if someone so desired.

Dave
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 07/02/08 09:04 PM

Quote:

Personally if you're considering an interior colour change...I would think of white. There is a dark green 70 Hemicuda on here once an a while with white interior and it looks amazing in my opinion.

But if it were my car....FENDER TAG all the way! Nothing looks nicer then a properly restored coloured interior!

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 07/02/08 09:57 PM

Quote:

Would it really kill the selling price later on by going to a black interior?

I don't think changing interior color or any other bolt on changes will affect a cars value a significant amount unless you toss the original (and in some cases hard to find) parts. Go ahead and add whatever bolt on items you like, keep all the original stuff and you'll be fine.

Changing a cars paint color is a MUCH bigger deal, a PROPER color change basically requires that the car be stripped of every nut and bolt until it's a bare metal shell before repainting the new color (and the same if it's reversed). The other considertion is the labor involved in stripping and replacing all of the parts during the process. A color change iss not just the cost of a fresh paint job, but allot of additional assosiated labor expenses as well.
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/08/08 11:23 AM

Quote:

Cudabit...I have a 74 Barracuda that is ready for paint also and I am not sure what color to go with. The car will be a driver to enjoy. The original color was Frost Green Metallic. It has a black interior. I am looking into a gold or gray color myself, do what you like and you will be happy with the results, John.

I got Kevin mixing up some fresh Panther Pink as we speak !
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/08/08 05:16 PM

If you have a more desirable car like a Hemi, a musclecar convertible or even any numbers matching 1971 and earlier musclecar , it will likely make it harder to sell. IMO, not everyone but most people who are going to spend decent money for a musclecar will want it to have most of it's original parts and configuration...especially the color and interior. If it's a 1974 318 Barracuda, it may not be as big of a factor.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/08/08 05:18 PM

Me personally . I don't change anything that can't be changed back in a weekend
Posted By: Paul

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/08/08 06:10 PM

Lost of pros and cons both ways.

I was in the same boat 20 years when I bought my Road Runner. It's an original Sand Pebble Beige car with a gator grain top, brown interior, and go wing. Aside from adding the hood stripe, as it's pictured below is basically how it looked when it was new. When I bought it, is was painted a shade of orange similar to hemi orange. I drove it like that for the first couple of years while I debated what color to paint it, I was leaning toward just about any color beside green and beige. I was in the process of taking it apart for body work when on a whim I read an ad for Galen Govier and called him up. 20 years ago he had no where near the name he has today, and he was quite happy to talk cars with me over the phone. It was then that I learned just how rare my car was. Had it not been for that phone call, my road runner probably would be painted red now and be just another Road Runner in a sea of generic clones. I get so a ton of comments about it's unusual color combo everytime I drive it, and I am very happy with my decision to keep it original.

Now in your situation, your Cuda isn't anything really unusual and not a color combo that appeals to most people today. White with green interior certainly doesn't excite my senses, and 74 Cudas are not big dollar cars, especially when compared against their more prized older siblings.

Bottom line, it's your car, do what you want with it. I won't flame you for changing it's color combination. I do agree with the others that if you do change, try to keep to something that was available that year.

I also think in this case that a color change won't hurt the car's value either way. Not everyone is into reading fender tags and quoting statistics, some people just like cars for the car's sake.

(btw, my other driver is a 69 Coronet 500 convertible. It's been modified to look like an R/T, it's painted red, and was originally t7. I bought it the way it is because I liked it, I knew it was a clone and color changed, and I am happy with the car regardless)
Posted By: BradH

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/08/08 06:20 PM

I read through a few of the earlier replies (but not all... yawn ) and already saw the dividing line being drawn.

So, if you want yet ANOTHER opinion, answer these questions:
1. Is the car going to be a TRUE restoration (vs. are you going to make it like YOU wished it was)?
2. How much of what you're doing is with the intent of reselling the car?
3. Do you care if the fender-tag decoders at every car show you go to ask you why you changed the original color with some expression of disbelief on their faces?

If you answered "yes" to at least two of those questions, stick w/ the original color. Otherwise, do what you want with the understanding that there will always be people who devalue your car due to its lack of originality.
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/08/08 06:48 PM

Its a 74 318 car...In white. Why would you do a nut and bolt resto and correct color on a car like that ? I think you cold help the value by painting it any good color. If it was a 71 Hemi car in white I think I would still change the color probally to citron yellow or another 71 color. If I ever sold the car it could maybe help the value to some and hurt it to others. Thats just my .02
Posted By: BradH

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/08/08 06:55 PM

Quote:

Its a 74 318 car...In white. Why would you do a nut and bolt resto and correct color on a car like that ?

Well, you know I wouldn't...

Cars like that deserve 600 HP, a rollbar, and a 10-second ET slip before they ever get resto-type paint & body work.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/08/08 07:21 PM

If it's a color I hate, and everytime I walk up to it I go "My God that is one butt-ugly color", why would I want to keep tormenting myself? As to finding another car with no difference other than a color you like, good luck with that.

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/08/08 07:41 PM

Ahhh. Another TFTD (thread from the dead) Seeing as how the OP posted this some 3+ months ago, the car may have already been painted by now

...but as I reread all the posts a couple thoughts come to mind;

- 1) Do what you want, it's your car.....well DUH! That sort of goes without saying (or it should) The OP asked for OTHER peoples opinions and there is NO POINT in telling him to "do what he wants".....that should be understood. Sorry, a pet peeve of mine.

- 2) Many comments that '74 318 'Cudas are basically worthless, which may be true for the most part (see sig) but that fact makes a nut and bolt resto (which is required for a PROPERLY DONE color change) fiscally irresponsible...doesn't make much sense.

- 3) what's wrong with white? I understand the green interior, but if'n it were mine I'd keep it white and consider a black or blue interior.

.....but of course, it's his car so he should do what he wants!

For laughs, here's a pic of my mostly worthless '74 318 'Cuda sporting it's still original paint (burnished red metallic)

Dave
Posted By: Finoke

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/08/08 07:46 PM

Dont be surprised if people don't drool over your car if you repaint it an original dull color.

I would stay original if it was a numbers matching BB high dollar car. If not, go for something that has mass appeal.

You'll be glad you did when you take it out to shows and if you go to sell it.

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/08/08 09:47 PM

Does the world really need any more red/orange/purple E-bodies?
IMO it would be a crime to take a "boring brown" E-body like Dave Pelletiers and paint it red, orange or purple.
It's okay for other opinions to vary.

Sheldon
Posted By: cudabitten

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/10/08 01:04 PM

Well I wasn't going to reply to this because for one, I'm fairly new to this forum, and I am still trying to figure out when to reply, and what is important, plus I kinda got my answer that its about 50/50 mix of opinions and reasons to do or not to do a color change. I have decided not to change the colors. The more time I spent with this car in my garage, I realized that I felt like I didn't have the "right" to change it. After all it has been through 34 years of who knows what, since it was a daily driver up until last year. By the way I do like white for classic cars, I had two 71 challengers, in the 80's, one was white, the other I had painted white. But back then, all my friends had white cars, I guess it was "in". Anyway I do have another question...I keep seeing in the posts that a 74 barracuda is not as desirable as a 70 thru 73, I can't figure this out.( by the way NADA has a 70 318 barracuda average price 0f 14k and a 74 318 barracuda 17k) There were less 74 barracudas made than alot of the other years/models. Obviously, the "340 Cuda", was one of the "muscle" cars of the E-body family. But there is very little difference between a barracuda and a cuda, (oh I know I'm gonna hear it now). I guess to a Mopar lover, they are all just as desirable.
Posted By: sixbbl69

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/10/08 01:31 PM

Quote:

IMO it would be a crime to take a "boring brown" E-body like Dave Pelletiers and paint it red, orange or purple.

Sheldon

its a boring brown. it might as well be a 75 dart 4-dr. that would explain the ugly color.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/10/08 03:31 PM

I have yet to do my own cars in an original color... but I will be doing my 68 sport satellite in the original green because of how original the car is and I do plan to sell it. So I figure keep it orginal and get as much as I can out of it and its cheaper than changing things around.
Posted By: racealittle

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/10/08 06:33 PM

What I own may be considered wrong by many, and absolutely wrong by the purists; but, I think every car has it's place in someones heart and mind.

1974 Challenger, original red paint 360 car, no build sheets, no fender tag, but lots of local folklore about the car. Most of the stories are incredibly unbelieveable if you really know something about cars. BUT, it's MINE and I like it. I bought it that color, with those parts, and I'm sure I'll make my own changes which will keep it as a street machine vs. a pedigree car that limits enjoyment.

Attached picture 4742210-DSCN2875.JPG
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/11/08 02:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sheldon

its a boring brown. it might as well be a 75 dart 4-dr. that would explain the ugly color.

LOL,,,,, I must say I agree with this line of thought.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/11/08 06:32 PM

I have my own personal deal on this...

I have a 70 Road Runner that is Vitamin C and is getting a repaint and resto.It will stay orange.

I have a 71 Demon that is a race car.It was originally a dark brown/gold color,(ugly!!)and needed body work and repaint.We took the car apart and painted it Vitamin C orange.Now I will need to do some lower 1/4 work later and when this car gets a repaint it will be House of Kolor orange.
Posted By: gregsrt

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/11/08 08:32 PM

Quote:

Well I wasn't going to reply to this because for one, I'm fairly new to this forum, and I am still trying to figure out when to reply, and what is important, plus I kinda got my answer that its about 50/50 mix of opinions and reasons to do or not to do a color change. I have decided not to change the colors. The more time I spent with this car in my garage, I realized that I felt like I didn't have the "right" to change it. After all it has been through 34 years of who knows what, since it was a daily driver up until last year. By the way I do like white for classic cars, I had two 71 challengers, in the 80's, one was white, the other I had painted white. But back then, all my friends had white cars, I guess it was "in". Anyway I do have another question...I keep seeing in the posts that a 74 barracuda is not as desirable as a 70 thru 73, I can't figure this out.( by the way NADA has a 70 318 barracuda average price 0f 14k and a 74 318 barracuda 17k) There were less 74 barracudas made than alot of the other years/models. Obviously, the "340 Cuda", was one of the "muscle" cars of the E-body family. But there is very little difference between a barracuda and a cuda, (oh I know I'm gonna hear it now). I guess to a Mopar lover, they are all just as desirable.

I had a thread about this in July when I bought this Satellite. All original paint,int etc.. Quite a few posts were very adamant that I keep the car original colors. I pretty much hate the yellow, but I like the idea of a painted top(it's different) I drove the car a bit through the summer and kind of warmed up to the 2 tone green interior. I'm now thinking of painting it light(F3)green with the factory F8 painted top and green interior. I'm also making it an A12(6bbl) clone. How much can a yellow and green 318 car be worth, right?

Attached picture 4744510-IMG_2262.JPG
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? - 10/14/08 12:04 AM

it's only paint..go for it..i did
© 2024 Moparts Forums