Moparts

70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way?

Posted By: cataclysm80

70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/19/09 08:53 PM

Somehow I forgot to take a picture of this part before it came off the car. Is it supposed to mount on the engine compartment side of the firewall, or the passenger compartment side of the firewall? Also, which is the correct of 3 possible clock positions for this grommet?

While I'm at it, Where's the best place to get the temp control cable for the water valve? I'd like to have the one that goes through this grommet, but if I have to I could use the one that comes out by the brake booster.

The reproduction cables I've seen use a stiff wire, but I've never had the chance to check out an original cable off the car. (mine was missing) Do originals also use a stiff wire, or are they more flexible for easier routing? Do I need to look for NOS, used, or repro? If repro, who makes these cables?

Many thanks to any who help! This cable situation is one of those little things that's puzzled me since I got the car 11 years ago.

Tav

Attached picture 5362366-DSC01975.JPG

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/19/09 08:57 PM

other side

Attached picture 5362371-DSC01976.JPG

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/19/09 08:58 PM

Engine compartment side

Attached picture 5362375-DSC01977.JPG

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/19/09 08:59 PM

Passenger compartment side

Attached picture 5362377-DSC01978.JPG
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/19/09 09:45 PM

From the looks of the one you posted, I would say that one was mounted from the engine side of the firewall.

Attached picture 5362428-70E-BodyACVacumnConnector.jpg

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/20/09 02:28 PM

Well, Dave Walden mounted the one on the white challenger on the engine compartment side.

RP's R/T's says that's not correct, it should be mounted on the passenger compartment side.

That's one vote for each way. Anyone Else?

Tav

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/20/09 08:29 PM

Attached picture 5364564-RightLowerFirewalla.jpg

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/20/09 08:29 PM

Attached picture 5364568-LowerRightFirewalla.jpg

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/22/09 02:10 AM

Quote:

From the looks of the one you posted, I would say that one was mounted from the engine side of the firewall.

Thanks Snoopy! I agree, it does look that way.

I've also just heard of two more cars owned by ebodyseast that both came with the grommet mounted from the engine side of the firewall.

That makes the score 3 engine side, 2 passenger side.

It seems odd that the factory would mount the grommet from either location.

Does anybody else have one?

Tav
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/22/09 02:16 AM

I have a good original A/C car - I'll have a look.

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/22/09 03:52 AM

Quote:

It seems odd that the factory would mount the grommet from either location.

Since it doesn't affect the function, it looks like the guy on the line was allowed to install from whatever side was most convenient at the time.
I would vote for the engine bay side installation purely from a safety stand point as long as the pointy ends of the screw didn't pose a threat to the passenger. There is nothing like shoving your hand into dark tight place and pulling back a bloody hand.
Posted By: magnum440

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/27/09 01:31 AM

mine is mounted from the inside....also on a side note.. whats the correct way to run the heater control cable to valve... ..mine runs under the dash through that same grommet then to valve.. but ive seen it run from drivers side then along cowl then to valve...

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/28/09 03:03 AM

Does your car have manual drum brakes?

Great to hear from you! Either way to mount the cable is correct for 1970. Clearly yours came routed through the grommet by the blower motor like mine. We are in the minority though. Including your car, there are about 7 cars I know of that were routed this way. That makes it difficult to learn what is correct for these cars. It would be a HUGE help if you could get some pics of your cable routing. (particularly under the dash, but elsewhere too) If you need help posting them here due to the 700 K size limit restriction, please e-mail them to me and I will resize them and post for you. If you can't get pics, then a detailed description may also prove helpful. I've heard there is a bendy tab on the side of the AC box to hold the cable, and am guessing it routes under the AC box? It would also be nice if you found a part # on the cable somewhere.

Most cars seem to have the cable exit over by the brake booster instead.

The 70-71 parts book lists two cables for the 1970 model year.
71 inches long # 3431 215
74 inches long # 3431 339

My original cable was missing when I got the car. I'm hoping to learn which cable I need for my car. Also, any tips on which way to route it under the dash and around the AC box would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone have any ideas why two different cables/routings were used in 1970?

The cable listed in the parts book for 1971 is also 71 inches long, but has a different part # 3431 459. As far as I know 1971-74 cars always had the cable routed over by the brake booster.

Does anyone know what the differences between these cable are?

Tav
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/28/09 03:57 AM

Hey Tav,
Your original part has all the clues you would ever need. If the grommet had been mounted from the inside of the car, it would not have been exposed to all the dirt and grime that is evident in your first picture. You can compare the difference by looking at the picture Snoopy posted. The part of the grommet that is shown in his photo is dirty from being exposed from the inside out. Your example shows an opposite dirt pattern because THAT area of the grommet was on the INSIDE during the life of the car. Notice the rubber area where the screws once held it in place. It is clean and black because the dirt from the engine compartment was not able to permeate behind them. Just think of how dirty the inside of the car would have to be if this pattern had resulted from being mounted INSIDE the car.
Posted By: v269

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/28/09 01:20 PM

from the 70 i just finished, pass. side from the inside.
Posted By: magnum440

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 07/28/09 07:40 PM

mine came with pwr disc brake...ive removed dash a cple times already over years..and dont remember but i do remember it running under the a/c box..i think there is a clip that holds it ..similiar to clip that holds radio antenna lead along bottom of dash...but ive seen cable run thru where if u have maunal wiper washer hoses are run thru grommet along the cowl above wiper motor then to heater valve...ill have to look under the dash on mine and check it out ..as im installin a new dashpad soon...

Attached picture 5381576-100_0539.JPG
Posted By: BartekP

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 11/22/09 10:15 AM

Where should I plug vacuum hose that goes through that grommet? Inside the car it goes to A/C box, but where is the vacuum supplied in the engine bay?
Posted By: Moparnut

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 11/22/09 12:52 PM

On the rear of the block you should have a screw in large nipple that has multiple smaller nipples. You simple slide it on one of the smaller nipples.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 11/22/09 02:46 PM

Both on my former 1970 Chall and my 2 parts cars they were both mtd. interior side
Posted By: cuda-sweden

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 11/22/09 04:05 PM

hej.on my -70 cuda the grommet is screwed from the inside of the car.also its a 383 engine with a oem holley 4367,which got an vaccum outlet at the rear on the carbs base plate,and that is where ive connected the vaccum hose,ive put a tee on it cause that vaccum port also controlls those flappers in the duall snorkel air cleaner.

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 11/23/09 02:21 AM

Quote:

Where should I plug vacuum hose that goes through that grommet? Inside the car it goes to A/C box, but where is the vacuum supplied in the engine bay?

Good to see some action on this thread again!

There should be a vacuum port on your intake manifold. It is a threaded hole on the intake manifold and there are different plugs that screw into it depending on what options your car has.
There is a plug with no vacuum nipple for manual brake non AC cars.
There is a plug with a big vacuum nipple for power brake non AC cars.
There is a plug with a big & a small vacuum nipple for power brake with AC cars.
There is a plug with a big & 2 small vacuum nipples for power brake with AC & something else I'm not sure of. (the second small nipple isn't for cruise control, because that hooks to the brake booster check valve)

There may be other plugs also. There's probably one with only a small vacuum nipple for manual brake AC cars, etc.

distributor vacuum advance & PCV both go to the carb.

Anybody find out any more info about the different temperature cables?

Tav

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 11/23/09 11:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Good to see some action on this thread again!

Anybody find out any more info about the different temperature cables?

Tav

no,but what about this one. ive got the early? style of routing on my -70 cuda,where the temp-cable goes in to the coupe through the grommet with 2 holes,located under the blower motor.question= on my grommet with 2 holes,one of the holes has an outsticking(a couple og mm)piece molded in,its like a bit of a hose.so im wondering if that hole is for the temp-cable? or the vaccum hose?

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 11/24/09 04:30 AM

I believe that hole is for the temp cable.

I'd also like to add that whether the temp cable came out under the blower motor or under the brake booster in 1970 doesn't seem to be build date related. It's not an early vs late thing. My car happens to be an early car (8-26-69), but the other cars I know of that exit under the blower motor are pretty much spread out through the year, with plenty of cars built between them that have the cable exiting under the brake booster.

I'm not sure why they exited the through the firewall in two different places in 1970. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with build date, cuda vs. challenger, or transmission. I don't think it has to do with engine selection. Someone had suggested that manual drum brake cars had the exit under the blower motor, but that's been proven wrong twice now.

Any ideas, or info is appreciated.

Tav

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 11/24/09 07:07 AM

Grommet in my car (1970 318 A/C) was mounted from inside - looking on a dirt, there was no cable when I bought the car but that grommet doesn't look like cable went through it, second opening in rubber nipple is quite tight

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 11/27/09 05:30 PM

jorå,also my -70 cuda with under blower motor grommet,is a manual brake car.anyway its time to answer the question off stiffnes my original temp cable is with a stiff/solid inner wire,just like a lawn mower type of wire.and i think r.ehrenberg might have those on his e-båg web site.check it out he needs help with the alimony

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 11/28/09 10:33 PM

I mount the firewall insulation pads and I noticed that my temp cable is routed through wrong hole, on the picture no1 are insulation clip holes, where should go temp cable? and what are holes 2,3,4 for?

washer foot pump & hoses?

Attached picture 5632695-Firewall2.jpg

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 11/29/09 12:23 AM

Your temp cable is going through the correct hole. It replaces one of the insulation pins.

Hole 2 is used for the grommet that the manual windshield washer hoses pass through, or is plugged with a body plug if you have an electric windshield washer pump.

Hole 3 is for the clutch rod on a manual transmission, or is plugged with a body plug if you have an automatic transmission.

Holes 4 are for the manual windshield waher foot pump, and would be undrilled dimples if you had an electric windshield washer pump.

Tav

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 11/29/09 01:09 AM

thanks
It had manual washer pump

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 01/16/10 03:50 AM

I heard about another car belonging to GKMOPAR that had the grommet for the cable that comes through under the blower motor.
It's a December 1969 car with manual drum brakes.

Tav
Posted By: GKMOPAR

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 01/16/10 06:59 PM

My 1970 Challenger Dec 1969 build date has the grommet mounted on the inside. Gerry
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: 70 E body AC vacuum grommet Which Way? - 01/16/10 09:15 PM

70 barracuda SPD 9-11-69 with the grommet mounted on the inside...Power disc and cruize control...And I may have run my cable in the wrong routing...I've got it running out by the booster but the AC box has the clip that would have held the cable for the inside routing....In any event, It is the best routing now because of the header clearance...
© 2024 Moparts Forums