Moparts

Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory?

Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/09/09 07:01 PM

The media blaster uncovered this on the front passenger side floor board of my 70 Challenger. Car had original paint from the factory covering the floor. Anyone seen this before and if so, what does it mean?

Joe

Attached picture 5342993-numbers.JPG
Posted By: burdar

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/09/09 07:45 PM

I found 869 on the passengers side of the trans hump on dad's 73.

Attached picture 5343051-4905423-73challenger019[1].jpg
Posted By: domingo

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/09/09 08:03 PM

I think that means how many days you have left b4 you die.

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/09/09 08:10 PM

Quote:

Well if that's the case I don't need to worry about saving money for a rainy day. I can throw it all at the Challenger.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/09/09 08:44 PM

Wow, that's kinda cool. What's it written with?

Tav
Posted By: domingo

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/09/09 08:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well if that's the case I don't need to worry about saving money for a rainy day. I can throw it all at the Challenger.

Man, thats a great way of thinking!!! I didnt find any numbers on my cars but Im doing the same thing.

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/09/09 08:57 PM

Mine looks to be a silver paint kind of like what you see on the side of some engine blocks prior to paint. It stood up to being sand blasted a little too.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/10/09 02:06 AM

869-1631 is rumored to have been "Rock"s phone number
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/10/09 02:11 AM

Interesting....

I have always wondered how the body-in-white was tracked, I wonder if these numbers have something to do with that?

Just for giggles, if either of you have a broadcast sheet, can you compare the numbers you found to the broadcast sheet sequence number in the second box of line 1?

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/10/09 02:19 AM

Quote:

869-1631 is rumored to have been "Rock"s phone number

Now THAT'S funny stuff right there!

Barry, I've the BS to the car..I'll check it out and let you know if it coincides.

Not sure what it's written with but I see that Mine has a rusty look and the other one above still is intact.

Joe

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/10/09 03:03 AM

Sorry, NO BS sheet here. There was one for a Cuda under the seat instead of mine.

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/10/09 03:11 AM

Can you please scan it & email it to me if you have not done so already?

(Sorry if I have asked already, I lose track of user names)

Numbers are a different story.

Barry

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/10/09 01:10 PM

Barry,

I checked the BS and the number on the floorboard is not the same as the "SEQUENCE" number found on the first part of the BS. The number is close to some of the numbers of the cars VIN but not exactly. Scanning the BS, I see nothing that coincides.

Joe

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/11/09 12:14 AM

OK, thanks for checking Joe.
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/11/09 01:06 AM

Quote:

Any markings/stamps/stencils on the trans to match? I'm guessing it had a 727?

There must be a thread somewhere on Moparts discussing the trans numbers, like on this A-833:

Probably not related, but just throwing it out there...
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/11/09 01:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Any markings/stamps/stencils on the trans to match? I'm guessing it had a 727?

There must be a thread somewhere on Moparts discussing the trans numbers, like on this A-833:

Probably not related, but just throwing it out there...

I thought that too and checked but the tranny numbers don't match up. Then I thought maybe carpet but that isn't it either.

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/11/09 03:27 AM

Anyones guess is a good as mine. I just thought it was interesting so I took a picture. I had read other threads about dip lines, so I took a picture of those too. I also found a word written in grease pencil on the passengers door but it was too faint to make out. I took a picture of it too but it didn't really turn out very well.

The trans is a 904 by the way. The car is a Rallye but has the 318.

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/11/09 04:06 AM

Quote:

Are the numbers painted directly on the bare metal, before being dipped? If so, I wonder if it has to do with welding on the brackets for the console and/or shifter. I'd guess both console-shifted autos and floor-shifted manual trans car trans tunnels would get additional 'work' versus a column-shifted auto car, due to needing either some brackets welded on or a hole cut.

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/11/09 04:14 AM

Just to toss it out there.....

The passenger side cowl top on my T/A had a large "P" - I would assume it meant OK to paint.

Or..... Rock may have been requesting a potty break?

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/11/09 03:52 PM

Quote:

Are the numbers painted directly on the bare metal, before being dipped?

That's a good question. I assume it was applied before dipping because it stood up to being sand blasted a little. It's like the paint soaked into the metal somewhat.

I don't have the body right now. It's at the bodyshop. My guess is that the numbers are now covered up with primer. We'll see once I get it back.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/11/09 04:49 PM

This is just a WAG, but what if it was before the body was assembled?
Fast food places number cups, lumber is marked in stacks, maybe these are from when a stack of sheetmetal was banded and shipped to the assembly plant? There would only be a few with these marks (top of the stack?), for shipping or inventory.
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/11/09 05:16 PM

Quote:

This is just a WAG, but what if it was before the body was assembled?
Fast food places number cups, lumber is marked in stacks, maybe these are from when a stack of sheetmetal was banded and shipped to the assembly plant? There would only be a few with these marks (top of the stack?), for shipping or inventory.

That's seems plausible.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/11/09 08:55 PM

this is just a thought... but i work at briggston and as the motors come down the line and go into the run tunnel(fire them up and check for defects) if there is something that would call for some type of reject(carb not right,head bolt loose,bad valve, bad muffler) there is like 20 codes thay take and write a code on it that matches the defect so the set up knows what to look for and repair it just a thought as not all cars have the markings
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/11/09 10:58 PM

Oz cars had odd numbers written in them too...trunk in this case though..

And I've got a factory dash frame from a Charger R/T, and in chalk it had the option code for tach dash written on the underside of it...heard this was somewhat common to write some of the option codes for the interior that way..
(A95 interior dress up for instance..)

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/11/09 10:59 PM

Quote:

this is just a thought... there is like 20 codes thay take and write a code on it that matches the defect so the set up knows what to look for and repair it just a thought as not all cars have the markings

The body "error" codes for 1970 can be found here;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/misc/m46%20car%20inspection%20p1.jpg

& here;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/misc/m46%20car%20inspection%20p2.jpg

For 1974;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/misc/1974%20Hamtramck%20inspection%20form%20p1.jpg

&

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/misc/1974%20Hamtramck%20inspection%20form%20p2.jpg

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/12/09 12:57 AM

My guess is that the markings were applied after the parts were stamped. If it was applied before hand, the numbers would be stretched and skewed from the stamping process.

Now it is possible that the floorpans were stacked after they were stamped. Then the top pan in the stack was marked.

Here is the grease pensil mark on the passengers door. It's too light to make out what it says.

Attached picture 5346943-73challenger005(2).JPG
Posted By: charger RTSE

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/12/09 11:47 AM

Quote:

Oz cars had odd numbers written in them too...trunk in this case though..

And I've got a factory dash frame from a Charger R/T, and in chalk it had the option code for tach dash written on the underside of it...heard this was somewhat common to write some of the option codes for the interior that way..
(A95 interior dress up for instance..)

Here is a good one on an Aussie car.
The last valiant made had The last [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] written in the trunk.
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleID=8751&pg=2&vf=0

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/12/09 04:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Are the numbers painted directly on the bare metal, before being dipped?

That's a good question. I assume it was applied before dipping because it stood up to being sand blasted a little. It's like the paint soaked into the metal somewhat.

I don't have the body right now. It's at the bodyshop. My guess is that the numbers are now covered up with primer. We'll see once I get it back.

What is the black substance that appears to be under the 8 in the "869"?

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/12/09 08:42 PM

I don't think it was seam sealer. I think it was some kind of tape. Maybe holding some wiring to the floor. I'll have to see it I have another picture of the floorpan area.

OK, I found another picture and it is tape.

Attached picture 5348185-869(2).jpg
Posted By: larry4406

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/13/09 12:07 AM

The black tape I believe held the light for the console shifter. On an e-body, I think the wire comes for the passenger floor area
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Strange Floor Markings EBody from factory? - 07/13/09 01:00 AM

It's an orange wire that's taped to the passenger side of the tunnel, then crosses over to the passenger kick panel where it plugs into the harness.

Tav
© 2024 Moparts Forums