Moparts

How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value

Posted By: fig426

How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/26/08 12:19 PM

I've been chewing on the thought of putting window louvers on the T/A. It's non-numbers with buildsheet and fender tag, original 4 speed car. I think it would look amazing with louvers!! I know I'll get alot of "It's your car, do what you want", but putting that aside, how much will it hurt the value if I do put them on?

Attached picture 4512710-0613081426[1](2).jpg
Posted By: Lemon_Twist

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/26/08 01:53 PM

I would think the value should increase by the cost of the louvers. Can't see how they would hurt value that much. Air grabber and spoilers were added to my GTX and I never gave it a second thought when purchasing the car.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/26/08 02:19 PM

will it add value ? doubt it
will it add desirability ? probably.

will it hurt resale , ? to the purist - yes

but if you want them , add them. but you'll cringe when you have to drill the holes in the metal for the hinges and hold down pins
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/26/08 02:26 PM

I think that pretty much sums it up.
Posted By: 70challrtse

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/26/08 03:46 PM

I wouldn't unless the car is coded for louvres and you were putting on OEM louvres.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the v - 06/26/08 03:59 PM

do you have to drill holes to add them ?

will you be putting it up for sale right after you install it ?
Posted By: klunick

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the v - 06/26/08 05:06 PM

I would not do it unless it was coded for them. I am in no a purist but some cars are so rare like the TAs and Superbirds/Daytona's that I think they should be restored and not modified. That being said, there a plenty of Challengers out there that were /6 cars that are available for folks to do as they please. The killer on this is drilling the holes. Kind of permanent!!
Posted By: mymcodebee

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the v - 06/26/08 05:33 PM

Chris I would think it would depend on how original it was to start with also. Fender tags, buildsheet, etc. I had an AAR without alot of documentation that I added them too and no one seemed to care because it wasn't a number car anyway.

How to the motor work out for you?? Is it in the car?
Posted By: R_Blaha

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the v - 06/26/08 06:23 PM

I would go for it.. Gene Gregory (spelling?) makes some good repop louvers I was going to put them on my old 71 cuda 340 shaker car I could of cared less about the value, the only reason I didn't is cause I didn't get the car finished and someone wanted it more than me and gave me a price I couldn't refuse!
Posted By: Troy

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/26/08 06:41 PM

Quote:

will it add value ? doubt it
will it add desirability ? probably.

will it hurt resale , ? to the purist - yes

but if you want them , add them. but you'll cringe when you have to drill the holes in the metal for the hinges and hold down pins

Very well put.....I could not say it any better.
Posted By: FY1TA & 65 Wedge

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/26/08 09:15 PM

Thought about this myself...until I heard "you have to drill holes....." No way would I ever drill holes in 40 year old perfectly good sheet metal.

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the v - 06/26/08 11:57 PM

Thanks for all the input!! This is a tough decision. I have an original set that would look awesome on it. No it's not coded for it and I restored it pretty closely to the way it came. TROY, If I do it then it won't be just like yours, but then again East and West coast twin cars is kinda cool. REID, I ended up putting the 416 stroker in this one. Your engine is going into the purple 4 speed AAR. Are you going to be at Carlisle? The T/A will be there. We get there Wednesday. Give me a call. BRIAN, are you bringing the gator to Carlisle?
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/27/08 12:26 AM

For me if it was a vinyl roof car I might do it but I would expect the value thing to be a wash. However it is a non-vinyl car so I wouldn't do it. They don't look right to a purist on a non-vinyl car.

Sheldon
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/27/08 12:43 AM

Quote:

Thought about this myself...until I heard "you have to drill holes....." No way would I ever drill holes in 40 year old perfectly good sheet metal.

+1
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/27/08 02:07 AM

If I had the correct louvers, I would drill the holes in my T/A in a heartbeat.

If you decide not to do it, you can give your louvers to me.

Posted By: a12superbee

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the v - 06/27/08 08:30 AM

So would I, nothing a zap with a welder can't take care of.
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/27/08 02:33 PM

Quote:

For me if it was a vinyl roof car I might do it but I would expect the value thing to be a wash. However it is a non-vinyl car so I wouldn't do it. They don't look right to a purist on a non-vinyl car.

Sheldon

I don't understand this. You could get louvers without the vinyl top. If you ordered the vinyl top too it had to be black, but you didn't have to have one.

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/27/08 02:45 PM

This is correct for Challengers only right? Cuda's required a vinyl top to get louvers ???
Posted By: FY1TA & 65 Wedge

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/27/08 09:29 PM

Not sure if I'll take the T/A to Carlisle or the NATS and if I do it will be the FY1 car...like I have problems???

Can't wait to see yours!

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/28/08 12:56 AM

I'm pretty sure JC Whitney sells some that are made out of plastic that would look killer on there!
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/28/08 01:34 AM

Was your car in Northern Virginia at one point back in the 80's/90's? There was someone in the service at Quantico or Ft. Belvoir with one similar?
Posted By: ricomondo

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/29/08 03:46 AM

I put louvers on my FY1 Mr.Norms GSD T/A, and LOVED how it came out. Yes, it is scary drilling the holes, but I had an original louver T/A to reference from. I no longer own the car, but I always got good compliments on the louvers from other E body folk...

PS- the car was also non numbers, but had all other docs..
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/29/08 03:01 PM

not louvers , and not meaning to hijack , but I just saw a car on the road I had forgotten about, haven't seen it in 10-12 years - it is a 1970 Cuda convertible, 340 - 4spd , F8 (I think), white hockey stick stripe, with 71 Cuda gills in the front fenders. I remember speaking to the owner when I first saw the car - he told me he loved the 71 fenders and had a body shop do the cut outs and installed NOS fender gills - this is now probably 20-25 years ago or more - he might be the original or second owner - I forget - this was before anyone was stamping, cutting or anything . The worst part is that the body shop did the cut outs in the wrong spot - they start over the wheel wells - too far forward - it is what it is - he did it when the prices on these cars were next to nothing - and it's his car - I'd say do what makes you happy - I happen to love the look of the rear window louvers !
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/29/08 07:01 PM

If you like the louvers put them on, only if they are the "original" style.....repro or not,.....the crap cheap aftermarket jcw, interpart, etc.....are junk......Gregory's or originals.......while your at it,....a nice set of 15X7 Rallies would set that car off just right!

I'm suprised no one has said anything about your wheel lip mouldings? .....Nice car though!

Attached picture 4519183-10-21-07_1411.jpg

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/30/08 01:12 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure JC Whitney sells some that are made out of plastic that would look killer on there!

Daniel, Just because YOUR car has a bunch of plastic on it doesn't mean mine should!!! HA HA HA !! Just kidding everyone,, Daniel's car isn't loaded with plastic. ,,,,,, ROADRUNNER: I got the car from North Carolina with a 1994 inspection from South Carolina. Ya never know. It is the same part of the country. DAYCLONA: It's coded for Ralleys but I love the steel wheel look,,, so it got steelies. Easy swap compared to the louvers so that was an easy decision.

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/30/08 01:35 AM

Put the louvers on it!.....they do so much for the car!......I put louvers on my super rare 1971 Challenger T/A.......I don't think it hurt it's value any!

Attached picture 4519829-10-21-07_1411.jpg
Posted By: floyd

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 06/30/08 09:57 PM

Quote:

Put the louvers on it!.....they do so much for the car!......I put louvers on my super rare 1971 Challenger T/A.......I don't think it hurt it's value any!

Hey - Shouldn't that super rare 71 T/A have a 4-bbl setup?

Re: How bad will putting louvers on the T/A hurt the value - 07/02/08 12:49 AM

Hey - Shouldn't that super rare 71 T/A have a 4-bbl setup?

Bruce,........Originally yes!..........you know how the 71's were delivered, the 6pak was in the trunk, for "dealer install" if the customer opted,......I opted!
© 2024 Moparts Forums