Moparts

Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them??

Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 05/27/09 11:57 PM

What is the name of the current company selling the reproduction group 27 batteries? Thanks
Posted By: Kudakidd

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 05/28/09 12:07 AM

TurboStart Maintenance free too!

http://www.turbostart.com/catalog.aspx?cid=14
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 05/28/09 12:23 AM

www.restorationbattery.com
Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 05/28/09 02:39 AM

Thanks guys!!
Posted By: michiganhotrod1

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 05/30/09 02:12 AM

Slight deviation to this post, if you will allow me.
I had a few resto batteries a few years ago and was very disappointed. They were reliable for about three years in classic car use (i.e., sits all winter in the frozen north - Michigan). In the fourth summer you best bring battery cables to get an occasional jump start.
I gave up, and bought a new premium 27 month Mopar battery from my local dealer. The first one is going on 6 years, the second on 4. No problems, if they get a bit "flat", a week on a trickle charger and they are good as new.
I like the look of the reproduction batteries, but I like stating better.
What is everyone's experience here today?
Thanks!
Mark
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 05/30/09 02:30 AM

Quote:

I had a few resto batteries a few years ago and was very disappointed. They were reliable for about three years in classic car use (i.e., sits all winter in the frozen north - Michigan). In the fourth summer you best bring battery cables to get an occasional jump start.
I gave up, and bought a new premium 27 month Mopar battery from my local dealer. The first one is going on 6 years, the second on 4. No problems, if they get a bit "flat", a week on a trickle charger and they are good as new.
Thanks!
Mark

I'm just replacing a lead acid Group 27 that I bought from Antique Auto Battery in July 2002. I use a battery keeper on it periodically and it never gave me any trouble. It still seems to hold the charge but I decided that it is getting old and also a Group 24 yellow cap battery is actually the correct one for my car.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 05/30/09 02:35 AM

I also have a question on the repro batteries. My drivers side inner fender rusted out along with the battery tray. What are you guys doing to prevent this from happening all over again? Have the new batteries been upgraded to reduce the chances of that?
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 05/30/09 03:26 AM

Quote:

I also have a question on the repro batteries. My drivers side inner fender rusted out along with the battery tray. What are you guys doing to prevent this from happening all over again? Have the new batteries been upgraded to reduce the chances of that?

sure!

theyre making sealed units that reduce the chance of acid overflowing from the top of the battery and running onto the tray.

there are little pads to place on the tray before the battery get put in place but I've never seen or heard of someone actually using one to offer an opinion on effectivness.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 05/30/09 06:15 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
Mark

My group 24 with red caps{since i liked red ones} lasted 6 years and it was the acid filled one from new castle.
I am going to cut it open and put a 30 buck lawn and garden one in it
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 05/30/09 06:18 AM

Quote:

I have a pad from year one and the tray is the same as it was when put in. Most spills come from filing to much since they do not come filled, "I Filled" just below the rings even though you should fill to the rings
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 05/30/09 02:50 PM

Isn't there a Moparts member selling them at a discounted price including shipping? Is there only one manufacture for these resto batteries? Just curious as there is a $31.00 difference in price between the two companies listed above for a group 27.
Posted By: sg333e

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 05/30/09 03:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
Mark

We were having the same problem with our 69 Mach 1 batteries from Newcastle.
Posted By: 70RR383

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 05/30/09 03:27 PM

There is someone on here selling them.I think its FRED GILMORE?????I just got one for my buddy 4 months ago.Do a search in the general section.Or he usually chimes in if he sees the subject.He is by far the best price.I and my buddy got the sealed one.
Posted By: badblack68

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 05/30/09 09:14 PM

Yes, it is Fred Gilmore. I just bought two group 27 batteries from him. Great price and quick delivery to my door! I highly recommend Fred. Here's his contact info, tell him Mark PEPS PARTS sent ya!
fgilmore@dtnspeed.net
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 05/31/09 04:46 PM

is there a web site for the Gilmor batteries or just an email address?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 05/31/09 05:36 PM

I wish someone would manufacture/sell a repo COVER, that fits over an optima red top, with convienent connections (meaning the cover has its own posts, not just holes for the optima posts.)
Make it a quality product. I would pay in the neighborhood of $150-$175 for one.
Once you buy one you're set. Course you are then forced to buy pretty small batteries that will fit inside, optima/odyssey etc.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 06/01/09 02:19 PM

Let me warn you of where not to try to buy a reproduction battery from. I order a sealed repro original look battery from Batteries are Us in March. After they charged my credit card for the battery $306.00 and at least 8 e-mails and 5 calls, horrible customer service and bad attitude, I still do not have my battery!!!!!

I have promised them that I am going to tell everyone I can about their company. In the meantime I guess I have to contact my credit card company and get them to get my money back!

Man I hate bad business on line!
Posted By: 70RR383

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 06/03/09 12:01 AM

Fred is by far the best .Best price and great service.
Posted By: RobR

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 06/04/09 03:12 PM

I just went to start my GTX and my battery is done (two years)..I'm going on my 7th battery in 18 years (acid filled)
good timing on this post
Posted By: aar1

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 08/09/09 08:23 PM

When these batteries say maintenence free, does that just mean they are sealed? Or are they the gel-type, without acid inside so no potential leaks? If I want a battery that is not the old fashion lead acid type, what do I need to ask for?
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 08/09/09 09:34 PM

www.antiqueautobattery.com I've had 2 of them & they've lasted a long time. Can even date code them to your car.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 08/09/09 09:48 PM

I bought 4 group 24's - NONE of the 4 lasted more than 18 months.
Antique Auto batteries service SUCKED, next one I'll buy from Tom at Restoration battery and let him deal with Antiques lousy customer service
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 08/09/09 11:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
Mark [/quote0

I've had mine for 5 yrs,........sits in the garage all winter long, no trickle charge, never have, never needed a jump,.....sits for about 3-4 months in the winter, before I start the car,.......then sits for weeks during the summer at a time before I take the car out for whatever reason,

the older, repro vintage batteries that were shipped dry, and you had to add acid to, and charge before use were good for only 2 yrs on avg, and if they did last any longer, they puked acid out the vent caps, and the cases swelled.....but the latest sealed batteries have a pretty good track record IMHO

Mike
Posted By: Day2Runner

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 08/10/09 05:11 PM

i have bad luck also with all type of resto batteries so i give up a use a red top optium
plus i like my car to fire right up
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 08/10/09 05:44 PM

Now if only someone made the 75+ version. Looks like I'm gonna have to use a prior year model in the Cordoba.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 08/11/09 05:10 AM

I bought two batterys from New Castle, group 27.
Average was 5 years of typical driving a few times a year and sitting all winter..
I finally gave up and put a Exide 27 in it the last time. About $80
I am going to try the sealed battery for my next project.
Posted By: ChrisD

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 08/12/09 01:30 AM

The email for Fred is no good. I tried it. Do you have any other contact info?

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 08/12/09 02:01 AM

Quote:

Make sure you got the e-mail address correct and try it again. He replied to my questions in just the last couple of days.

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 08/14/09 05:29 PM

Posted By: tx9cuda

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 08/14/09 05:40 PM

I purchased a Battery from Fred 2 weeks ago.
contacted him via fgilmore@dtnspeed.net
usually responds within 24 hours.
Great to work with and saved me a chunk of change.
Highly recommend

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 08/25/09 01:07 PM

Quote:

I purchased a Battery from Fred 2 weeks ago.
contacted him via fgilmore@dtnspeed.net
usually responds within 24 hours.
Great to work with and saved me a chunk of change.
Highly recommend

I also bought one from Fred in the last two weeks. Good communication & easy to work with. Very good price and had it in my car in less than a week

Hopefully with proper care I can get a few years out of the battery.
Posted By: Brian_E

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 08/29/09 03:32 AM

bought mine from roseville mopar for less than 5 other companies quoted me and it was direct from mopar. call and check caost first
Posted By: beesuperA12

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 11/16/09 03:53 PM

After reading this thread I ordered an AGM type group 27 from Fred Gilmore. Great guy to deal with, real mopar guy! Best price and service!
Posted By: David Hakim

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 11/17/09 01:33 AM

Mancini Racing has both GROUP 27 and 24 Resto batteries in stock.

Check out the link below.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/reba.html
Posted By: az426john

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 12/20/09 01:52 PM

Another vote for Fred Gilmore.

Honest, Great service and great price. This is how it is supposed to be done.
Posted By: tman

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 12/29/09 11:33 AM

Please do tell Fred's price for the group 27 and appx shpg? You can pm me if you like.
Thanks.

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Who Sells Them?? - 12/29/09 03:02 PM

For comparison purposes, Freds price was $219.00 for a Group 24 Yellow Cap and it INCLUDED SHIPPING.

Great guy to deal with. Good communication and honest. I sent him a Money Order and saved the 4% PayPal load. The entire transaction took about 1.5 weeks due to using snail mail.
Posted By: ebodiesonly

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 12/29/09 10:27 PM

Quote:

I also sent an email to Fred last summer but never got reply from him even I sent a reminder later.

So I took the yellow cap battery from an other source....
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 12/30/09 01:59 PM

Just a little side note on batteries.I see no reason why a reproduction battery should cost over $200 or even close regardless of size or make other than taking advantage of the restoration hobby.In 1982 when I finished my Superbird I put in a lead acid group 27 from the original New Castle Battery.It lasted 7yrs.I replaced it again with another New Castle,this one sealed as they dropped the lead acid.That battery is still in the car with no issues.Both under $100 when new.No battery tender,just put the charger on for a half hour or so every other month.Two batteries in 17yrs is not bad in my book.Anyone can make a battery that lasts if they choose.My wife's 2000 Jeep Cherokee still has the original Mopar battery since new.Go figure.

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 12/31/09 01:32 PM

I am sure that there were additional costs in starting the production of a nitch item, but it probably comes down to market pricing in the restoration world.
Posted By: BeBeep

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 01/28/10 11:35 PM

I just wanted to chime in with a thumbs up to Fred Gilmore. I ordered a Group 27 from him and had it in less than 3 days. Very fast and super friendly.

Thanks Fred!!
Posted By: 68red440

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 03/18/10 01:21 AM

I just bought my sealed Group 27 battery through Fred Gilmore. Very responsive and great to work with.
He placed the order and it was in my car 2 days later!
$229 including shipping was by far the best deal I could find for that particular battery.
Posted By: RP's R/T's

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 04/07/10 08:47 PM

I also ordered with Fred Gilmore. Great guy. Fast Service. Just got them in. One more piece in the puzzle.
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 04/07/10 09:34 PM

Fred Gilmore? Are you nuts? From my initial email to Fred, it took at least 2 days to get the 3 batteries I ordered. Never again, at minimum, I think he should have a same day personal delivery service (at no extra charge of course) and try to improve on that be delivering the battery just before I think I need it.

Just kidding, Fred has just made is way into the "Good Guys and Buddy Club".
Posted By: 70 buzz

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 04/08/10 12:13 AM

What is Fred's contact information?
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 04/08/10 08:27 AM

Quote:

What is Fred's contact information?

fgilmore@dtnspeed.net
Posted By: Springbok99

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 05/04/11 04:20 PM

I ordered from Fred a maintenance-free battery for my Challenger T/A. His service was prompt, and the battery arrived well-packaged and charged, ready to start the car and go for a drive. I highly recommend Fred.
Thanks
Posted By: LYMGTX

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 05/05/11 03:53 AM

Ditto to everyone's comments. Talked to him on Sunday, mailed check Monday and Friday the battery was delivered by FedEx. Great guy. I'm referring him to everyone I know. Gary F.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 05/05/11 09:08 PM

For the West Coatsers theres a guy in Oregon who sells the batteries for about the same price as Fed, but the shipping is less. I can dig out my receipt for mine if anyone needs his info. Mines going on 2 1/2 years and works great. I was told initially to use a battery tender on it frequently and it will prolong the life of it.
Posted By: 68jim

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 08/01/11 11:04 PM

I'm resurecting an older thread but this is a good deal through an establish member. I needed a red cap battery to complete my engine bay, but put it off since the parts store battery was still working fine. Anyway, I searched and found this thread for batteries and contacted Fred to see if the deal was still good - and it is! Fred sent out my new battery last Monday and arrived on Wednesday. I got a great deal and shipping the 65lb battery was included in the price. My only complaint would be that any savings I had were lost since delivery happened in the AM and my wife had to haul the battery off the porch... Cost me a dinner out to make up for the effort. Battery is in and looks and works great

Thanks Fred!

Attached picture 6758000-P7311707.JPG
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Mopar Reproduction Group 27 Batteries..Reliability? - 08/02/11 12:30 PM

Quote:

I bought two batterys from New Castle, group 27.
Average was 5 years of typical driving a few times a year and sitting all winter..
I finally gave up and put a Exide 27 in it the last time. About $80
I am going to try the sealed battery for my next project.

Drivers don't even get 5 years sometimes. I like the NewCastle red cap. 4+ years now. Looks great. Better than the maint free modern look along with the Stant Cap on the radiator.
© 2024 Moparts Forums