Moparts

ELECTRONIC IGINTION wire diagram

Posted By: anlauto

ELECTRONIC IGINTION wire diagram - 05/27/09 02:07 PM

I have a 71 Cuda small with points wire harness and I want to change it to electronic using the Mopar Performance distributor kit, but I need the wire diagram...

Can some one post the diagram for me...thanks
Posted By: VCODE

Re: ELECTRONIC IGINTION wire diagram - 05/27/09 02:13 PM

Alan,
At work and don't have the diagram with me.
It is easy.
The wire harness that comes with the kit uses the plug to the ECU/ 2 dist wire plug / and 1 to ballast and coil the green wire is not used
Bob
Posted By: macmic87

Re: ELECTRONIC IGINTION wire diagram - 05/27/09 02:35 PM

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/3.html
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: ELECTRONIC IGINTION wire diagram - 05/27/09 03:53 PM

What applications would use the green wire?

Tav
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: ELECTRONIC IGINTION wire diagram - 05/29/09 02:17 PM

Quote:

What applications would use the green wire?

Tav

Old 5 pin ECU and dual ballast resistor.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: ELECTRONIC IGINTION wire diagram - 05/29/09 03:38 PM

When I first got my 70 challenger it had a mopar electronic distributor, dual ballast, and an aftermarket 5 prong ECU with all wires hooked up.

It wouldn't start, or even turn over.

I found an open in the neutral safety switch wiring, and when I fixed that it would turn over, but not start.

I replaced the ECU with a new aftermarket 5 prong unit from the local parts store, using the included wiring diagram to check that all the wires went where they were supposed to. (they did) Still the same situation, turned over, but no start.

I checked out some other things, and everything checked OK. Not knowing what else to do at the time, I called Year One tech support at about 10 PM. He told me to cut the green wire and tape it out of the way. I was hesitant, but that's what I did, and after that it worked fine. I still don't understand why though.

Tav
© 2024 Moparts Forums