Moparts

Vinyl top installed

Posted By: fullfloater

Vinyl top installed - 05/24/09 10:25 PM

Just finished a couple of hours ago putting vinyl top on 69 RR ,Put out in sun and it started bubbling up ,it was so hot i couldn,t touch it ,pushed back in shop and worked out bubbles ,they seem to be slowing mostly ,but a few seem to try and come back ,getting concerned ,i followed diections in tech forum ,roof had new paint job on it ,several months old ,used 3M super adhesive trim ,did i do something wrong ,cleaned surface with thinner before installing ,any Ideas ?
Posted By: Iceman01

Re: Vinyl top installed - 05/25/09 01:05 AM

I'll be watching for the replies since mine has the same problem with the same good prep.
Posted By: fullfloater

Re: Vinyl top installed - 05/25/09 01:32 AM

I kept working it down all afternoon and it looks like it finally stuck ,i assuming it was trying to breath from chemical still being too wet when applied it in some places ,thats all i can figure ,it was real humid today when i put it on ,it had me concerned ,hope it works
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Vinyl top installed - 05/25/09 02:06 AM

I thought you were suppose to put the vinyl out in the sun to soften it up and make it easier to work with, then install it in the shade.

Did someone recommend putting the finished car out in the sun?
Posted By: Kingy

Re: Vinyl top installed - 05/25/09 02:17 AM

Quote:

i assuming it was trying to breath from chemical still being too wet when applied it in some places

You are exactly right. You should spray both sides and wait at least a full two minutes before placing the vinyl down. It should look dry but it's a fine line. Wait too long and it will come loose later.

Bob
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Vinyl top installed - 05/25/09 11:36 AM

You sould also scuff the paint with a red scotch brite before putting on the glue.
Posted By: 68CoronetRT

Re: Vinyl top installed - 05/25/09 01:50 PM

Wiping with thinner is not a good idea because it leaves a film like residue.
I scuffed mine with red scotch brite and wiped with a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl alcohol and water and let dry 30 minutes.
As stated earlier the contact cement must be applied to both sides and allowed to dry for 10 minutes before pressing together.
© 2024 Moparts Forums