Moparts

"UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS

Posted By: HEMICUDA

"UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 09:45 AM

Fooling around here at the shop and copied an original chrome lug nut that has the parting mark from the screw machine from back in the day. The thought is to make these nuts, I think the demand for the correct nut just might be there. If they get made, they will be available in right handed threads only. Since left handed studs are hard to find and many originals were broke off from a monkey that didn’t know better, I was thinking about stamping the “L” on half of them before chroming so they look correct on the car without having to go through the drama of left handed studs.

I’m projecting the price right around the same as the MOPAR Performance lug nuts that are currently available.

Attached picture 5243307-LUG-NUT.gif
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 11:21 AM

Mike,

This is an item that I know that I certainly need as your lug nuts seem to be more flat than tapererd like the current ones that I have. It seems that a lot of the lug nut holes on the rims were "over torqued" and mushroomed out the holes so the less taper the lug nuts have, the better it would tighten to the wheel.

Seems like another quality product that you are going to offer. I also like the ideas of the L stamping in them too.
Posted By: A12

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 02:32 PM

Quote:

I was thinking about stamping the “L” on half of them before chroming so they look correct on the car without having to go through the drama of left handed studs.

Oh I can see it now "Da#% new "L" left-hand lug nuts won't go on, spent all afternoon trying to get them on. "

or "Ah we have a small problem with the left side lug nuts on that old car you just brought in to have the wheels balanced......the mechanic just got this new Snap On air gun and.....well he quit at eight broken lug bolts the other two are still good" .

And I'm going to be a little p!$$#d if I buy another set of lug nuts that were advertised as "L" left-hand NOS MOPAR lug nuts on the bag and when they arrived and after paying twice what they were worth they were right-hand lug nuts, emailed the seller and they said oops but we're not taking them back. Mike I'm not saying or even implying that situation with you, I'm just saying that someone, someday down the road will probably make that "mistake" knowing that an "L" means left-hand thread. Then there's those stinking ISO and NHTSA standards, will they even allow you to mark them as something they are not .

I want a set regardless but there are somethings that need consideration.

MikeR
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 02:50 PM

I must agree, if you stamp them with an "L" they better be left handed threads.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 03:15 PM

Please do these lugs in left hand too!
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 03:17 PM

I would buy a set of Left & Right.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 03:28 PM

Yes Mike, get them dead "nuts" () and you'll sell a ton of them

Attached picture 5243729-DeadNuts1.jpg
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 03:33 PM

Stainless Stainless Stainless!!!

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 03:38 PM

Economy of scale, is there really enough volume to run left handed lug nuts? I totally agree with the comments 100%, problem is, I'm not going to take that gamble financially. If someone else wants to put up for the 5,000 left handed lug nuts that would have to be run I’ll be more than happy to do that for them. The thought is to, at least, have the correct outward appearance that couldn’t be noticed unless it was removed. I haven’t seen the requirement of removing lug nuts during OE judging yet. I can’t see making the left handed studs so the lugs will sell.

Mike, where did you get lug nuts that were stamped with the letter ”L” and had the parting mark on the top that were right hand thread?
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 03:49 PM

Mike,
I agree with 100% the issue will be for someone who DOES have the left hand studs and WANTS to have the correct nuts would then be required to remove said studs to now install these nice shiny new nuts

I know I sell about every left hand stud I can get my hands on, but All left hands studs have been discontinued from the manufacturer.So getting them is only going to get worst.

Good luck with either direction you take.

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 03:54 PM

Michael, the photo and description on the ebay sellers ad said and showed the lug nuts with a "L" and the heading for the listing was NOS Left-Hand Thread Lug Nuts" and the ad read "very rare left-hand thread NOS Mopar Lug Nuts" and even made reference to the "dimple". I was high bidder and paid for them and waited and waited for weeks for them to show up (the seller was only 50-miles away). When they finally arrived they were right-hand without a "L" which was the first thing I noticed when I saw the bag and part number and said to myself "you have just been screwed" (thread pun there for this thread ).

So I didn't get right-hand thread lug nuts with a "L" on them but the photo and description in the ad did say they were. Now if someone doesn't say anything and just shows a photo of the right-hand thread lug nuts with the "L" what would you ASS-U-ME they were and bid them to the moon?

MikeR

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 04:06 PM

Quote:

Michael, the photo and description on the ebay sellers ad said and showed the lug nuts with a "L" and the heading for the listing was NOS Left-Hand Thread Lug Nuts" and the ad read "very rare left-hand thread NOS Mopar Lug Nuts" and even made reference to the "dimple". I was high bidder and paid for them and waited and waited for weeks for them to show up (the seller was only 50-miles away). When they finally arrived they were right-hand without a "L" which was the first thing I noticed when I saw the bag and part number and said to myself "you have just been screwed" (thread pun there for this thread ).

So I didn't get right-hand thread lug nuts with a "L" on them but the photo and description in the ad did say they were. Now if someone doesn't say anything and just shows a photo of the right-hand thread lug nuts with the "L" what would you ASS-U-ME they were and bid them to the moon?

MikeR

I'm in the process of checking cost to make the left handed thread, however, I have a feeling the selling price will have to triple because the market isn't there. I have yet to have a 70 car, except my survivor, that didn't have most if not all the studs changed from the first time someone snapped the stud off because they didn't know any better. I really feel that we would have to make the stud to sell that nut to an already limited market. Most guys are not going to knock out all the studs and replace them so they can have a nut with an "L" on it. I would guess 2% will go through the drama and we are all here on MOPARTS.

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 04:07 PM

Quote:

Mike,
I agree with 100% the issue will be for someone who DOES have the left hand studs and WANTS to have the correct nuts would then be required to remove said studs to now install these nice shiny new nuts

I know I sell about every left hand stud I can get my hands on, but All left hands studs have been discontinued from the manufacturer.So getting them is only going to get worst.

Good luck with either direction you take.

5000 / by 10 = 500 sales. Now how many of us have converted to right-hand thread lug bolts and nuts because we can't find correct left-hand dimpled Mopar style lug nuts or even lug bolts, I know I did on several cars. I got tired of searching and never finding them or if you did you almost always get out bid for some stupidly high bid at the last moments. In my opinion there are more sources for almost correct or at least close to correct with or without the dimple right-hand lug nuts, and very few if any sources for even left-hand lug BOLTS (as Bill points out) so I think I should PM you and invest in that left-handed project but only if we do the correct LH lug bolts too.....

If you can show me a source for correct LH lug nuts then the deals off.....but I we all know there isn't one.......corner the market there's a demand for them IMO.

MikeR
Posted By: badblack68

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 04:12 PM

Quote:

Fooling around here at the shop and copied an original chrome lug nut that has the parting mark from the screw machine from back in the day. The thought is to make these nuts, I think the demand for the correct nut just might be there. If they get made, they will be available in right handed threads only. Since left handed studs are hard to find and many originals were broke off from a monkey that didn’t know better, I was thinking about stamping the “L” on half of them before chroming so they look correct on the car without having to go through the drama of left handed studs.

I’m projecting the price right around the same as the MOPAR Performance lug nuts that are currently available.

I still have the original left hand lugs on my car and I would purchase a complete set of 10 RH and 10 LH but it looks like that won't happen because of the lack of demand for the LH lugnuts. Count me as one that would not like to have a RH lugnut marked as a LH.
Posted By: TONY_DAGOSTINO

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 04:14 PM

killer idea mike

do it

and i think it would be a good idea to make the lh threads also,

remember 10 lug nuts per car are lh for all 1970 + older, thats a large number of vehicles. there were lots of b-bodies made 67-70 + allot of 70 e-bodies too

there were variances on the bumps on the lug nuts, if you want to see some more let me know,

ive got some lunch pail lug nuts circa 1970-1972 if youd like to check them out

tony

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 04:17 PM

I might have all 5 versions of 1/2" left studs new should you need samples to tool from
A-bodies excluded
Rears - all models 10 OR 11" Brakes
Front's 1966-69 with Bendix disc brakes
Fronts with Budd 10" drum brakes
Fronts with Motor wheel 10" drum brakes
Fronts all with 11" drum brakes

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 04:41 PM

Here's an entire original set on one wheel (71 E-body)

Attached picture 5243842-DeadNuts2.jpg

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 04:42 PM

Close up of one of the other ones

Attached picture 5243843-DeadNuts3.jpg

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 04:43 PM

Hey Bill, can you post pics of a correct A-body example?
Posted By: mccannix

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 04:45 PM

Scott:
Here's some smallbolt dimpletops

Attached picture 5243851-smalllugs.JPG

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 04:51 PM

Nice Terry! I needs me a set of those!
Posted By: RP's R/T's

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 05:22 PM

I think there are far more people with LH studs/nuts on the LH side of the car than you think. I haven't changed any of mine. In reality, I don't think I know of anyone in my circle of Mopar-ites that has changed them.
I would want to buy a complete set- LH and RH's.
my

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 05:33 PM

Mike,
I think I have a few NOS LH & RH studs for 70 B&E-Body front disc brakes.

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 05:36 PM

Like I said; I think a lot of owners (and shops) convert to RH lug bolts and nuts because of a lack of correct LH parts and not because they want to. I wouldn't have done it as said and even got burned trying to buy a set of NOS LH nuts to boot

Make them PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeR
Posted By: MLR426

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 07:07 PM

I think the demand for the correct nut just might be there.

The demand is there. I like Scott's example.
Their will be different variations, you
will need to settle with one style our course.
This is a no brainer product, count me in for
5 sets.

logan426

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 07:14 PM

Scott,
Sorry. I might have a few nos 7/16" chrome nuts here and I wouldn't swear I could find those .But I'll ck my stash tonight.I don't remember if they were RH or LH.

+ I don't have any small bolt LH studs of anykind, they were gone LONG before the B+E body studs were
Posted By: RJS

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 07:55 PM

I'd want a set of right hand thread but "L" marked on ten and also ten correct left hand thread. Total 30 lugs to start...
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 08:22 PM

One set of 20 L&R's for my '70 'Cuda and a set of 20 R's for the '71 GTX please
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 08:23 PM

Myself, I don't see a problem with the right handers being marked with an 'L', I know which direction to turn them.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 09:07 PM

Quote:

Myself, I don't see a problem with the right handers being marked with an 'L', I know which direction to turn them.

YOU know which way to turn them.....but what happens when you sell and the poor SOB thats looking at an "L" stamped lug and torques it right off?
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 09:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

YOU know which way to turn them.....but what happens when you sell and the poor SOB thats looking at an "L" stamped lug and torques it right off?

Well, in the event I did sell my car I would mention it. Half of current mopar owners now even know they were left handed at one time. Not to mention, what tire jockey looks for the 'L' before they smack it with an impact?
Posted By: bremotorsports

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 10:23 PM

Mike,

Last year, I "created" some dimpled nuts out of vintage OE lug nuts that did NOT have the dimple, via machining, and even stripped them and re-applied the nickel plating with a chrome flash. They turned out very well, but it was a very expensive deal.

May I suggest producing the left hand STUDS, as well as the LH lug NUTS, so that way everyone gets what the cars originally had anyway, and thus brain lock with the impact gun can be avoided.

Bill Rolik

P.S. Another couple of days have passed, and no new products for the boys in Mopar land. What seems to be the holdup?
Posted By: lokalik

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 11:33 PM

very good post. heres what happened to me. my car was 4 wheel drum. upgraded to front disk. i was thinking that the left side would be left hand thread, not. now i have three wheels right hand thread and one left hand thread. i am the only person that works on the car. i would have really prefered that the left side was left and the right side was right. i think that most people who restore their car works on their car not some greas monkey to rotate their tires. in short if its left keep it left, us mopar guys know what we are doing when it comes to this.
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/21/09 11:51 PM

Out of my orig 20 lugs, only 6 have the pimple top on them (71 Challenger )and some have two rings on the tops. The ones that do have the pimple, well , its a very small pimple. Does anyone have a pic of the current incorrect MP ones ? How much does it cost to recrome orig lugs ??

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 01:02 AM

Mike
I hope your chroming will be better than what Chrysler offered back in the day as evident by these NOS E/B lefthand lugnuts

Attached picture 5244799-lugnut1.jpg

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 01:03 AM

Closeup of the L on the side

Attached picture 5244806-lugnut2.jpg

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 01:04 AM

Posted By: mopargem

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 01:26 AM

Several of my cars still have left hand studs and mismatched lug nuts with subtle differences. I would buy both left and right sets. As far as making right hand stamped with an L, that would be a big mistake IMO.

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 01:39 AM

Quote:

Several of my cars still have left hand studs and mismatched lug nuts with subtle differences. I would buy both left and right sets. As far as making right hand stamped with an L, that would be a big mistake IMO.

Not worth the confusion for the few show cars that would want them. If you're not showing your car then it doesn't matter if they have an "L" on them or not and if it did matter and correct LH lug nuts with an honest "L" on them were available the show guys would buy them anyway.

MikeR
Posted By: BradH

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 02:16 AM

Wow... in some bizarre way, this thread has made me feel a little less bad for having sold my A12. /
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 03:16 AM

Quote:

Stainless Stainless Stainless!!!

That would be GREAT if they never rusted!
Would that require anti-seize though?
Is it a bad idea to have anti-seize on lug nuts?

Tav

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 03:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Not worth the confusion for the few show cars that would want them. If you're not showing your car then it doesn't matter if they have an "L" on them or not and if it did matter and correct LH lug nuts with an honest "L" on them were available the show guys would buy them anyway.

MikeR

Originally I was FOR your idea to label the RH nuts with an L, but the above post really makes sense.

I'd suggest checking into making the LH nuts & studs to see IF it's financially feasible. How many pre-orders would you need for the go ahead? I'm not interested in any myself, but it sounds like a lot of other people are. If they buy 5 sets at a time like some of them have offered, you might get your pre-orders pretty fast.

IF the money doesn’t work out for the LH nuts & studs, then I’d suggest going ahead with your original plan of stamping RH nuts with an L. Along with that, I’d suggest selling them separately from the RH nuts without the L in bags of 5 or 10. This way a person can order all RH if they want, OR the show guys that care can get some marked with an “L”.

I’m not fond of the LH threads myself, but I’d sure buy 20 of the RH thread nuts with the “pimple”, especially if the price was comparable to what mopar is currently selling their nuts for.

How much does an original LH lug nut go for these days anyway?

When I finally get around to swapping my 70 RoadRunner over to all RH threads, should I ebay my LH stuff instead of throwing it in the trash can?

Tav

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 04:03 AM

Quote:

MikeR

Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 06:04 AM

I think the market for LH chrome lugnuts is bigger than just 1970 cars.

What if someone puts an aftermarket or used set of rallye rims on their 69 and down B or C body Mopar? I've seen lots of rallyes on 69 down cars. Currently, they can only get RH chrome lugnuts for it. So all of those guys are forced to convert to RH studs.

If you made LH chrome lugnuts you'd be the only game in town. Even if they didn't care about the "pimple" correctness. LH chrome lugnuts would save them the cost and time of coverting LH studs to RH studs.

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 08:16 AM

Quote:

I think the market for LH chrome lugnuts is bigger than just 1970 cars.

What if someone puts an aftermarket or used set of rallye rims on their 69 and down B or C body Mopar? I've seen lots of rallyes on 69 down cars. Currently, they can only get RH chrome lugnuts for it. So all of those guys are forced to convert to RH studs.

If you made LH chrome lugnuts you'd be the only game in town. Even if they didn't care about the "pimple" correctness. LH chrome lugnuts would save them the cost and time of coverting LH studs to RH studs.

I think it's safe to say if the lug nut has a nipple, R/H or L/H, you're the only game in town.
Here's what I'm going to do, I'm not going to make 3 different configurations of lug nuts.

1. R/H nut.
2. R/H with the “L”.
3. True L/H with the “L”.

Keep in mind, making all the different left hand studs from 68-70 is not realistic and not in the equation, at least for now. With that said, I think we all can agree that there is a much larger volume of cars that have all R/H lugs for reasons that the L/H studs are so hard to find and ones that were changed because an impact was put to it and broke off. That’s reality.

I will consider making the much smaller market L/H lug nut based on the sales of the R/H lug nuts. Coming to a conclusion that “you’ll sell more if the left was available also” is not realistic so I’m planning for all R/H out of the box and none will have the “L”. Since MOPAR has released lug nuts that are correct except for the nipple, that also kills a big portion of the market for all the lug nuts for customers that don’t care about the nipple. Makes no sense to have a pair with out them, go figure.

I’m projecting the selling price for a complete set of R/H around the $95 range and if we decide to do the L/H that price will increase per set for obvious reasons.

I’ve been into these old MOPARS way to long to be convinced that there is this big market for L/H lug nuts to justify making them. All of us hanging around MOPARTS, might represent 1% of the market and we tend to be the 2%’ers that demand absolute correct parts, going so far as to pulling out micrometers to check reproduction parts for correctness. Myself included.

I truly hope I’m wrong about this, I’m about as anal about “correct” as the next guy, however, this is a profit based company and we have to be very careful where the money is invested.

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 11:54 AM

Michael, you need to do what you need and can cost effectively do, but I wonder how many non-sales of the correct dimpled lug nuts you will not have for owners with LH studs and nuts? I'm looking at a very original '69 GTX and will probably not change out the LH nuts and studs and forego the dimple ones for a set of MP or a set at the local Advance Auto....or continue to search and search ebag and swap meets for originals. Even though Moparts seems to be a small community of somewhat @n@l (to some and I use that term with passion) Mopar enthusiasts there are thousands of questions of "where can I find or who sells the best, most correct (fill in the item)" everyday, month and year. I think lots of Mopar enthusiasts have given up searching for correct left and right hand lug nuts and lug bolts/studs and HAD TO change to RH only and not because they all wanted to. Shoot we had 50+ A12 Lift-Off-Hood cars at the 2005 Carlisle and probably another 50 A12 car owners that didn't have their cars there and that is one large group of VERY @N@L owners that would account for at the least a 1000 LH correct dimpled lug nuts, in fact I think it was one of those @n@l A12 guys that first brought up the dimple subject because as you know that's the only "bling" we got when it comes to original wheels Personally I think you are under estimating the market and demand for correct LH lug nuts and studs. If I'm wrong then we all better buy up every left hand stud and nut we can find correct or not should they all be discontinued too........

As I said I'm not going to buy a set of correct RH lug nuts if the LH nuts are not available because I'm not going to change the LH studs to RH on the Mopars I have just for a dimple. You can still find non-correct but close left and right hand lug nuts. Count me in for four complete sets of left and right hand dimpled lug nut but none if only the right hands are available.

MikeR

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 12:03 PM

Not correct (or are they?) but still available:

10 LH, 10 RH Lug nuts Mopar

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 02:17 PM

Quote:

I’m projecting the selling price for a complete set of R/H around the $95 range

Would the cost of the extra packaging material change the price much if you sold 1/2 set (10 nuts) in a package instead of full sets (20 nuts)?

That way the adamant LH guys could get correct stuff for one side of their car, and the rest of us could just buy two 1/2 sets.

Tav

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 03:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I’m projecting the selling price for a complete set of R/H around the $95 range

Would the cost of the extra packaging material change the price much if you sold 1/2 set (10 nuts) in a package instead of full sets (20 nuts)?

That way the adamant LH guys could get correct stuff for one side of their car, and the rest of us could just buy two 1/2 sets.

Tav

You can just buy 1 nut if you want.

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 03:46 PM

Mike
You know,... I'd give my left nut if you decide to make those left nuts

Attached picture 5245937-lugnut2.jpg
Posted By: koak

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 04:32 PM

Let us know when they are available.

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 05:17 PM

Quote:

Mike
You know,... I'd give my left nut if you decide to make those left nuts

How many sets do you need Terry? For you, I'll made some special L/H "L" lug nuts just for you.

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 05:23 PM

Have you thought about wholesale possibilities?

IMO you could burn thru 500 to 1000 of each real fast , Also , keep them in full sets of 20 no individuals

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/22/09 07:37 PM

Quote:

Have you thought about wholesale possibilities?

IMO you could burn thru 500 to 1000 of each real fast , Also , keep them in full sets of 20 no individuals

Good call Bill, I'll have your 1,000 boxed up and ready to ship in about 6-7 weeks.
Posted By: Furyman

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/23/09 01:45 AM

I'm moving maybe 500 of the incorrect lh chrome lug nuts a year ....they are steady sellers at $2 ea Canadian.Left hand studs are getting harder to find...most of my suppliers are running out of stock.Left hand studs for two piece rotors are getting real tuff to find.I would not make a right hand thread lug nut with a L marking ...it will not only confuse the issue but it will lead to broken parts. I think that all the hard core #'s customers I have would not even consider such a part but would rather spend the extra dough on a correct stud.And as mentioned above there are thousands of lh stud Mopars still out there....you gotta figure C bodys alone outnumber the E's by a 3 or 4 to one.
Best bet would be to make the lug nuts and studs in LH.
Posted By: CHRYCOFAN

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/23/09 01:18 PM

Agreed, my 70 SF still has the original ones & I sure would buy a set of Lefts & rights

Butch

Attached picture 5247458-100_0340.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/23/09 04:30 PM

Those look nice. I'm in.

Re: "UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/28/09 08:32 AM

Well here you go. I was able to get a limited quantity of the R/H lugs chromed in time to be loaded into the container with other parts that is leaving tomorrow. The plan is to have them with me at Carlisle.

I am taking orders for sets on a first a come basis. I have secured a set of NOS L/H lugs that will also be made and they will be done as original as true L/H with the "L". I would estimate that I should have some stock as early as the Mopar Nationals.

The only liberty we are taking with this piece is ours will be triple plated chrome instead of flashed chromed like the originals.

So here we go guys, this pricing is based on high volumns and could go up based on soft sales.

List price for a set of all 20 R/H is $69.
List price for a set of 10 R/H & 10 L/H is $95.

Michael C. Ross - Owner
B/E & A Restoration Parts, Inc.
www.beaparts.com
330-725-3990

BTW Bill (GTX6970), I won't have anywhere near enough nuts in the container to fill your 1000 piece order.
Posted By: WINGCARS_6970

Re: "UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/28/09 12:20 PM

I sold to a friend the NOS recall lugnuts .The ones they sell with the repo recall wheels arent even dead on.This is what the origanals look like.Maybe someday these will get reproduced
http://www.specialtywheelsltd.org/lug-nuts.html

-----------------------------7d123ef402fe
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="questions"

Posted By: RestoRick

Re: "UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/28/09 01:46 PM

Quote:

The only liberty we are taking with this piece is ours will be triple plated chrome instead of flashed chromed like the originals.

Mike, I wonder if this was for a reason... from wrenching on items with triple chrome plating I've noticed it's damaged very easily.
Perhaps it was or should be a hard chrome plating?

Rick

Re: "UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/28/09 01:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike, I wonder if this was for a reason... from wrenching on items with triple chrome plating I've noticed it's damaged very easily.
Perhaps it was or should be a hard chrome plating?

Rick

Rick, there's no question that's why they were plated that way so they would take someone beating the snot out of the lug nut with an impact. I for one never hit my lug nuts with an impack, do you?

Re: "UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/28/09 02:15 PM

will the dimples be "innyees" or "outiees" and are the samples in your first post triple plated? I thought about getting some originals re-plated but someone else said with the prep and plating the dimple is close to not being seen? I thought the '68/'69 lug nuts were "outiees"?

MikeR

btw: I never, ever hit my nuts with an impact or at least try not to but "never say never"

Re: "UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/28/09 02:26 PM

No impact wrench of course, but even properly torquing them will likely cause flaking.

Re: "UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/28/09 03:30 PM

Quote:

No impact wrench of course, but even properly torquing them will likely cause flaking.

By the book, wheel stud torque is 65 ft. lbs., I just tested to 110 ft. lbs. and no cracking of the chrome.

Re: "UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/28/09 03:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

By the book, wheel stud torque is 65 ft. lbs., I just tested to 110 ft. lbs. and no cracking of the chrome.

Re: "UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/28/09 03:35 PM

Great!
Posted By: HPMike

Re: "UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/28/09 04:31 PM

Looks good. Much needed part with broad applications. Judging by the overwhelming response, there must be a subliminal attraction to these nuts

Attached picture 5257864-clintons.jpg

Re: "UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/28/09 05:20 PM

Quote:

Looks good. Much needed part with broad applications. Judging by the overwhelming response, there must be a subliminal attraction to these nuts

it's the bright and shiney aspect of them
Posted By: VCODE

Re: "UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/28/09 05:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

it's the bright and shiney aspect of them

My mistake, I thought it was the dimples
Posted By: aar1

Re: "UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/28/09 05:31 PM

Quote:

My goodness........... I would think with the kind of cash the Clintons are pulling down, they could at least turn the heat up in the house when they have company.
Posted By: formula_s

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/28/09 06:20 PM

Quote:

Scott:
Here's some smallbolt dimpletops

Is that the correct part #/box for smallbolt?? Parts catalogue says 2823848/9 is for "B,J,R,W,P,and C cars??
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/28/09 06:32 PM

looks like the small bolt pattern people aren't getting any love ...
Posted By: lmn6pack

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/30/09 03:28 AM

All this over friggin lugnuts? Im so glad im going old school and am going to start driving my cars and forgetting about dimples on lugnuts! lol

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/30/09 06:34 PM

Quote:

looks like the small bolt pattern people aren't getting any love ...

and not even a response.....

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/30/09 06:36 PM

Quote:

All this over friggin lugnuts? Im so glad im going old school and am going to start driving my cars and forgetting about dimples on lugnuts! lol

Wait till you read the bar room brawls over paint drips.

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 05/31/09 10:24 PM

Incidently, in my opinion, this is whats killing the hobby! The problem is people restore most cars to a point where nobody drives them including myself. You hardly see people driving to Nats or other shows like you used to. I restored some nice cars over the last few years and all they do is collect dust. No more, lets get out of that rut and start driving like we used to! For those of you who drive there concourse cars cudo's to you! Didnt mean to hijack thread but nobody drives anymore like they used to and thats whats fun about this hobby!
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 06/01/09 01:01 AM

Quote:

Incidently, in my opinion, this is whats killing the hobby! The problem is people restore most cars to a point where nobody drives them including myself. You hardly see people driving to Nats or other shows like you used to. I restored some nice cars over the last few years and all they do is collect dust. No more, lets get out of that rut and start driving like we used to! For those of you who drive there concourse cars cudo's to you! Didnt mean to hijack thread but nobody drives anymore like they used to and thats whats fun about this hobby!

You've got a case of the glass half empty...

His lugnuts retail for LESS HALF of what Year One gets for the Mopar ones ($70/20 vs. $180/20). That's a $110 savings!! Who cares if they have dimples or not.

That makes Mopars more affordable. And more affordable to drive.

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 06/01/09 01:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You've got a case of the glass half empty...

His lugnuts retail for LESS HALF of what Year One gets for the Mopar ones ($70/20 vs. $180/20). That's a $110 savings!! Who cares if they have dimples or not.

That makes Mopars more affordable. And more affordable to drive.

I agree,
I just ck'd a couple days ago. Retail on the ones still avail from Mopar ( no pimple BTW) is $6 EACH. Thats $120 for a set of 20 . Better item and less costs, I'm in
Posted By: Alaska_A12

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 06/03/09 05:11 AM

Quote:

All this over friggin lugnuts?

This is only 4 pages. We went 25 pages on the air cleaner wingnuts.

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 06/03/09 11:10 PM

You guys are missing my point! Thats great deal if you think $120 for a set of lug nuts are cheaper than year one. Yes, there is a niche for the correct lugnuts. My point was lets focus on driving instead of using a feather duster to clean the dust off our cars. People who over restore cars dont drive them and therefore, we as enthusiasts probably wont see them for the most part. Everybody is striving for that perfect resto
me included. The real fun is driving these monsters not whether or not something is date coded or numbers matching. Theres nothing wrong with a nice resto as long as you are willing to drive it! But nobody does it!
How am I being negative because I would like to see more people driving there cars?
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: "UPDATE" CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 06/04/09 02:20 AM

Quote:

customers that don’t care about the nipple. Makes no sense to have a pair with out them

I read both pages and I never thought I would see this on moparts. I agree Mike it DOES NOT make sense to have a pair with-out them. It just wouldn't be the same...I like them like

Oh and I still have left handed threads....Nice pic HPMike
Posted By: GoManGo70Bee

Re: CORRECT "PIMPLE" TOP CHROME LUG NUTS - 06/05/09 12:35 AM

Quote:

You guys are missing my point! Thats great deal if you think $120 for a set of lug nuts are cheaper than year one. Yes, there is a niche for the correct lugnuts. My point was lets focus on driving instead of using a feather duster to clean the dust off our cars. People who over restore cars dont drive them and therefore, we as enthusiasts probably wont see them for the most part. Everybody is striving for that perfect resto
me included. The real fun is driving these monsters not whether or not something is date coded or numbers matching. Theres nothing wrong with a nice resto as long as you are willing to drive it! But nobody does it!
How am I being negative because I would like to see more people driving there cars?

You have a valid point but there are some(myself included) that have nice #s cars and I drive the heck out of them. They are not 100% show cars, but when I replace something, I like to use a correct part. These lug nuts are EXACTLY what I have been waiting for for over 2 years! The origional lug nuts are badly flaking and rusted on my 70 Hurst 300 and these are just the ticket!! I will get a set and drive, drive, drive!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums