Moparts

b body door handles

Posted By: mickm

b body door handles - 04/30/09 06:43 PM

i want to replace the outside handles on my 70 b body. was just down at spring fling, and some vendors had them for about $120/set. i can get reproductions locally for about $90/set, or mopars for the same price. i see repops on ebay for as little as $75/set, all the way to $155/piece, (thanks year one!).

i know the mopars have an incorrect ball attachment, and i will need to use the ones off of my old handles, whereas the repops have the correct one. (although one vendor a while ago told me that sometimes you still have to use your old ones.)

anyone have any experience with these? which are the best to go for, which are the best quality, and are there any to avoid?

thanks...
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: b body door handles - 04/30/09 07:07 PM

Mick,
All I can tell you is the ones still avail trhu mopar pt # 3454390 + 391 have a poor fit where they attach to the body.

as far as any of the repops , I'm going to be of no help

Re: b body door handles - 04/30/09 08:26 PM

Quote:

Mick,
All I can tell you is the ones still avail trhu mopar pt # 3454390 + 391 have a poor fit where they attach to the body.

as far as any of the repops , I'm going to be of no help

thanks bill. i'll nix the mopar ones, and wait to hear what others have to say about the repops.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: b body door handles - 04/30/09 08:53 PM

I just bought the repos from B E&A with the black buttons for my 69. Everything went togeather perfectly and they sure look nice!
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: b body door handles - 04/30/09 09:10 PM

Why is it that some have black buttons and some have chrome? Is all the factory ones chrome or a mix?

Re: b body door handles - 04/30/09 09:32 PM

Quote:

I just bought the repos from B E&A with the black buttons for my 69. Everything went togeather perfectly and they sure look nice!

just looked at those, they are $149.

that is what i'm trying to figure out. there can't be that many companies out there reproducing these. are they all coming from the same place?

i want to get as good quality handles as i can, but if the ones on ebay for $75 are the same as the ones for $149, guess where i'm going to go?

i have to double check, but i'm almost positive the ones i saw on ebay were $75/pair.
Posted By: okie

Re: b body door handles - 04/30/09 09:50 PM

I have bought 2 sets of them off the bay, they fit on the Swinger good and I haven't put the ones on the RoadRunner yet. I took my originals and got hem rechromed so i may use them. i know it only cost 20 dollars to get them redone and they look good. Good Luck with which ever way you decide to go. Ronnie in Okla.

Re: b body door handles - 04/30/09 11:18 PM

Quote:

i know it only cost 20 dollars to get them redone and they look good. Good Luck with which ever way you decide to go. Ronnie in Okla.

that was my initial thought, was getting them re-chromed. i was told it would be pretty expensive, but haven't looked into it.

has anyone else done this?
Posted By: rrunner

Re: b body door handles - 05/01/09 12:19 AM

Quote:

Why is it that some have black buttons and some have chrome? Is all the factory ones chrome or a mix?

68 & 69 were black, I think chrome started in 70. If you have some org's and need black buttons they can be changed between org handles easy but don't know if they will swap into a repop.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: b body door handles - 05/01/09 01:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

68 & 69 were black, I think chrome started in 70. If you have some org's and need black buttons they can be changed between org handles easy but don't know if they will swap into a repop.

68s black button. Some early 69s too. But chrome shows up on most 69s and later cars.
Posted By: srt

Re: b body door handles - 05/01/09 01:35 AM

I've heard about the chrome buttons being a 70 thing. I have an early 68 B with original chrome buttons.
I know off topic, but don't want to start a thread.
Posted By: rrunner

Re: b body door handles - 05/01/09 01:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

68s black button. Some early 69s too. But chrome shows up on most 69s and later cars.

Well I must have owned a bunch of early 69's Every 69 I have had, even cars with the mandated head rest for Jan 1 1969, have all had black buttons. Sure it's not some very late 69 cars got chrome buttons??
Posted By: 383coronet

Re: b body door handles - 05/01/09 08:23 AM

My 22,000 original mile 68 Coronet has chrome buttons.
Posted By: R_Blaha

Re: b body door handles - 05/01/09 06:08 PM

the mopar ones are for c-bodys so they don't have much of a curve in the mounting surface like the b-bodies do.

Re: b body door handles - 05/01/09 10:09 PM

so, the mopar ones are out.

but are the repops out there all the same? are the $75 ones on ebay the same ones that the dealers sell for $149?

again, my thought is that there can't be that many companies making them. maybe they all come from one place?
Posted By: wkroncke17

Re: b body door handles - 06/17/09 07:45 PM

Quote:

so, the mopar ones are out.

but are the repops out there all the same? are the $75 ones on ebay the same ones that the dealers sell for $149?

again, my thought is that there can't be that many companies making them. maybe they all come from one place?

There never was a final say which ones were the best ones for the $$ to buy......any other suggestions??
© 2024 Moparts Forums