Moparts

70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws

Posted By: jeff968

70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 04/28/09 02:42 AM

On a 70 Challenger, does anyone know what the screws that hold the rear valance to the two mounting brackets looks like? Are they body colored (painted)?
Thanks!
Posted By: 70challrtse

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 04/28/09 02:48 PM

Not painted. They are the same as the screws used on the RT hood inserts.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 04/29/09 04:26 AM

I would have to say that they were not painted since they had to remove the rear valance to install the fuel tank. I can not imagine that they would have kept the hardware that was painted and just put new in.
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 04/30/09 12:30 AM

Can someone post a pic of the screw?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 04/30/09 01:13 AM

Quote:

Can someone post a pic of the screw?

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 04/30/09 01:53 AM

Gary, THANK YOU!

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 04/30/09 02:05 PM

Quote:

Gary, THANK YOU!

Your welcome.
Posted By: jeff968

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 04/30/09 05:42 PM

Great stuff, thanks!

Now, are the brackets body colored or black? Mine appear to be body colored but i don't know why, you really can't see them.
Posted By: B5TA

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 05/01/09 02:38 PM

should be body color. Kev
Posted By: m46rat

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 05/01/09 06:36 PM

Here is what they really look like, and yes, they are the identical ones that hold the Challenger rallye hood inserts to the hood. I don't see how the pics posted from that book could hold the inserts in place on a rallye hood. I do not believe they were painted. Comments please.

Attached picture 5200495-miscscrewbolt15x5.5steelwheel001.jpg

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 05/01/09 07:04 PM

Quote:

Here is what they really look like, and yes, they are the identical ones that hold the Challenger rallye hood inserts to the hood. I don't see how the pics posted from that book could hold the inserts in place on a rallye hood. I do not believe they were painted. Comments please.

Are we talking about these screws/bolts? I'm 99% sure these are the bolts that came out of this 71 model when I got it.

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 05/01/09 07:18 PM

There are four of these used, two per bracket. They attach from the outside of the valence and into the two rectangular "studs" at the bottom and top of each bracket. Remember, we are talking 1970 Challenger here.

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 05/01/09 07:29 PM

These bracket here, right?

I'm not arguing with you because I don't know anything for sure. It's just when I took my car apart I keep all the screws in order and used very few repos.

But who knows what happened to the car before I got it. Yes I realize we are talking 70 only here. Are these brackets like what is on a 70? Because these were on my 71 car.
Posted By: 70challrtse

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 05/01/09 08:07 PM

Quote:

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 05/01/09 08:08 PM

They are the ones, but they are a 1970 only item. I suspect the previous owner has attached a 70 rear valence to your car. Here is a pic. of a 70(top) and a 71(bottom) rear valence. The 71 valence does not have the four holes for the brackets like a 70 does. It should be noted that 71 cars DID have the four stud holes on the brace under the rear pan, but they were not used to intall the rear valence. That center bracket on the 71 valence was used for that.

Attached picture 5200650-70and71rearvalences.jpg

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 05/01/09 08:13 PM

My original 70 Cuda has the bolt head. Maybe both a phillips head and bolt head were used.
Posted By: burdar

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 05/01/09 08:46 PM

Quote:

They are the ones, but they are a 1970 only item. I suspect the previous owner has attached a 70 rear valence to your car. Here is a pic. of a 70(top) and a 71(bottom) rear valence. The 71 valence does not have the four holes for the brackets like a 70 does. It should be noted that 71 cars DID have the four stud holes on the brace under the rear pan, but they were not used to intall the rear valence. That center bracket on the 71 valence was used for that.

Are you talking about the four threaded holes in the rear filler panel? Are those holes only used on the 70 model? I believe my 73 has the braket like the "lower" one in your picture but the rear filler panel still has the four threaded holes in it.

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 05/01/09 09:10 PM

The holes are not threaded, they are just four punched holes.
Posted By: burdar

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 05/01/09 10:25 PM

The holes that are show on the right side of this picture are the ones I'm talking about. It looks like there is a square nut tacked to the filler panel. I thought they were threaded.

Attached picture 5200919-bos008(2).JPG
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 05/02/09 04:48 PM

Quote:

Are these brackets like what is on a 70? Because these were on my 71 car.

Yes, that's the 70 style. Is your 71 car built in late 70? Perhaps they were using up old parts.

Tav
Posted By: moparmojo

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 05/04/09 03:39 PM

Challenger1 is that book you are referencing available somewhere for purchase? It looks pretty handy.
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 05/04/09 04:19 PM

www.mmcdetroit.com

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 05/04/09 04:28 PM

Quote:

www.mmcdetroit.com

Great book Dave. Thanks

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 07/19/09 09:40 PM

I thought I'd straighten out this confusion a little bit...

Quote:

Quote:

Are you talking about the four threaded holes in the rear filler panel? Are those holes only used on the 70 model? I believe my 73 has the braket like the "lower" one in your picture but the rear filler panel still has the four threaded holes in it.

Most of the confusion is caused by using different terms to describe the same part of the car. M46rat called it the "brace under the rear pan" while burdar called it the "rear filler panel". It's also known as the rear crossmember.

M46rat talked about BOTH the four holes in the 1970 only rear valence, AND the four threaded holes in the rear crossmember. The four threaded holes in the rear crossmember are present on all challengers, but were only used in 1970. That is basically what M46rat and burdar both said.

Quote:

The holes are not threaded, they are just four punched holes.

M46rat was talking about the four holes in the 1970 only rear valence. They are not threaded. The rear valence is also known as the rear stone shield, or rear filler panel, hence the confusion.

I hope that helps to clear it up for anyone who reads this in the future.

Tav

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 07/19/09 09:53 PM

Quote:

My original 70 Cuda has the bolt head. Maybe both a phillips head and bolt head were used.

Yes, two of the three book pictures that Challenger 1 posted say that phillips head & hex head have both been found on cars. My own 70 challenger used the hex heads.

That brings me to the reason I brought this thread back to the top.

My hex heads aren't in great shape, and I don't have all of them. I can't seem to find them on RT Specialties site, or A&M Hightech Automotive's site. Where do you guys get them at? Or, if they can't be found, where can I get the phillips ones M46rat posted pics of earlier?

Tav

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 07/19/09 10:07 PM

Here's a pic of it.

Washer size measure .565 diameter. That's important. Any bigger and it won't fit in the top location next to where the valance bends.

I'd settle for a pilot point or regular tip as long as the head & washer are correct.

Tav

Attached picture 5362458-rearValencebolt.jpg
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 07/19/09 11:57 PM

I have seen many Challengers with chrome phillips screws and loose washers as well - I thought the first time I saw it, it was the work of some woodchuck - but I have seen it many times since. I am talking about the screw area - not the bolt area. Go with what was on your car if you can - If you can't - go with what is on original cars - not some book.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 07/20/09 12:32 AM

Quote:

I have seen many Challengers with chrome phillips screws and loose washers as well...

Me too, & I agree, it looks goofy, but it is what it is.....

Attached picture 5362767-1970onlyvalancetobracketscrew1.JPG
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 07/20/09 12:33 AM

Attached picture 5362768-1970onlyvalancetobracketscrew2.JPG

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 07/20/09 01:42 AM

I've seen that before too. Not even the right kind of threads on the screw. Strange stuff, I'm surprised to hear it's original. Like you, I thought someone must have goofed with it.

Still, Any leads on this bolt I'm looking for? It did come off my car.

Tav
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: 70 Chall rear valance mounting bracket screws - 07/20/09 01:58 AM

Quote:

Yup - Seen plenty of that style too - machine thread - not painted. Is the washer diameter the same as the scoop inserts? I'll have to measure and compare.
© 2024 Moparts Forums