Moparts

fuel sending unit.... any good ones?

Posted By: buzz440

fuel sending unit.... any good ones? - 12/06/23 05:46 PM

Hi all, like the title says, are there any (good) repro fuel sending units out there ? I'm at the point where it's time to put a sender in the tank and yes it's going in a new tank a Spectra make. I did not have the original sender to be sent out to get rebuilt or ohm'd or whatever, that unit was long gone. Now before I lay down a chunk of change for a repro unit, I figured I'd ask you guys for your opinion regarding these repro units.... heard some pretty bad horror stories about these things in the past, just want to know if these issues have been addressed.

Later,BUZZ
Posted By: moparx

Re: fuel sending unit.... any good ones? - 12/06/23 06:35 PM

in one word, no...........
i have bought several, and although they have seemed to have the required ohm readings at full and empty, and will give those readings while manually maneuvering them inside the tank, they don't work as such when the tank is filled with fuel.
my one buddy just purchased one of those $80.00 "meter match" gizmo's for his boy's ramcharger with an aftermarket tank and sender, and he says that fixed it right up so the gauge on the dash reads correctly.
beer
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: fuel sending unit.... any good ones? - 12/06/23 09:54 PM

You might try Kramer Parts. I bought a sending unit from them about 5 years ago and still reads accurate. He calibrates them before shipping it out.
http://www.kramerauto.com
Posted By: tboomer

Re: fuel sending unit.... any good ones? - 12/07/23 03:06 PM

I looked at Kramers and didn't see one for my 69 GTS... shruggy
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: fuel sending unit.... any good ones? - 12/07/23 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by tboomer
I looked at Kramers and didn't see one for my 69 GTS... shruggy

Call them.
Posted By: buzz440

Re: fuel sending unit.... any good ones? - 12/07/23 11:49 PM

I don't get this (bad) repro stuff out there..... you would think that when the china (sample) came back to the States - SOMEONE- would take the time to inspect it in every way possible and at least install it in a tank, test how it functions & fits, if it's not right send the %#*&^><! thing back and don't order a freakin' boat load til they get it right. I don't see how the vendors of this crap make $$ if people are returning them because they don't read right or fit properly.

Later,BUZZ
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: fuel sending unit.... any good ones? - 12/09/23 05:27 PM

I would say find a new old stock if you can because so much of the aftermarket are crap, but lately I've gotten replies telling me I'm wrong.

I tried Spectra which was junk, and went to a NOS.
Posted By: topside

Re: fuel sending unit.... any good ones? - 12/09/23 06:17 PM

I won't defend the inaccurate junk being sold as replacement parts nowadays, but to be honest, all I car about on a gas gauge is the last 1/4 tank.
If you get an accurate reading there, that's the important info, no ?

FWIW, I've noticed on several newer cars - with their OEM senders & gauges - that the reading seems to gain speed as it empties.
© 2024 Moparts Forums