Moparts

exhaust tips

Posted By: Roadrunner440-6

exhaust tips - 08/20/23 07:12 PM

Maybe I'm OCD......just finishing up on the exhaust system on my 70' Runner....how far out should the oval tips extend from the rear bumper. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: exhaust tips - 08/20/23 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Roadrunner440-6
Maybe I'm OCD......just finishing up on the exhaust system on my 70' Runner....how far out should the oval tips extend from the rear bumper. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hmmm...
No idea about a factory spec, but on my 70RR they measure about 4 inches from the bumper..
Here is a pix of my RR..

Just my $0.02... wink

Attached picture DSC_0018.JPG
Posted By: Roadrunner440-6

Re: exhaust tips - 08/20/23 11:35 PM

Good.....I'm in the ballpark. Got 3 and 7/8....{from bottom inside edge of bumper to tip of pipe) .leaving it alone Thanks!!!!! Also...nice looking bird!
Posted By: moparx

Re: exhaust tips - 08/21/23 03:36 PM

stick 'em out until you bark your shins every time you walk past them, then move 'em in a couple of inches.............. panic biggrin [sorry, i couldn't help myself...... laugh2]
just funnin' ya !
beer
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: exhaust tips - 08/21/23 03:58 PM

Doesn't the hanger on the frame locate the tip? shruggy

Attached picture hangher.jpg
Posted By: A12

Re: exhaust tips - 08/21/23 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel

^This is what I thought also. Not related but my '69 GTX tips only extend about an inch past the rear bumper.
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: exhaust tips - 08/21/23 05:43 PM

Yup I have the factory hangers and tips... here how mine sit

Attached picture tip1.jpg
Attached picture tip2.jpg
Posted By: topside

Re: exhaust tips - 08/21/23 06:00 PM

The tip hanger is a slot for the tab on the tip - so it could be quickly assembled.
It also allows some adjustment fore/aft depending on tolerance stack-up, though I doubt the factory guys sweated that detail.
On my original '69 RR, the tips are about 1.25" proud of the bottom corner of the bumper where it folds under/forward.
I say "about" because they're not exactly the same; left one measures 1.125", right is 1.25".

What's odd is that over the last 50 years, I've seen some that aren't level, but clocked at an angle, as though either the tab or hanger were twisted.
Some of those were on new or untouched cars.
Posted By: A12

Re: exhaust tips - 08/21/23 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by JMCFAN

Yup I have the factory hangers and tips... here how mine sit

Yes up my '69 GTX is the same, about an inch.
© 2024 Moparts Forums