Moparts

seam sealer question

Posted By: moparx

seam sealer question - 07/31/23 04:52 PM

i pulled the carpet out of my 69 charger because i have a new replacement set. this is the original carpet, and although the car is just about to turn 19k original miles, the carpet has been deteriorating for many years. this is even while being a garage queen and not driven since at least 2006 or so.
while scratching the floor pan with a wire brush by hand to get rid of some loose paint and leftover horse hair backing material, i hit several sections of seam sealer, and it fell off in large chunks, like it lost it's adhesion. [which of course it did !]
i then used a hand scraper, and most of it came off by just touching it with the scraper. no effort needed whatsoever.
what was used back then, and what would be a good replacement sealer to use ?
TIA for the knowledge you folks have that i do not. bow
beer
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: seam sealer question - 07/31/23 05:29 PM

This works well - www.eastwood.com/autobody/seam-sealer.html

Re: seam sealer question - 07/31/23 06:41 PM

which should be used ? the brushable, or the cartridge stuff ? or both ?
thanks Barry. bow
beer
Posted By: cdp

Re: seam sealer question - 08/01/23 12:50 AM

I've had really good luck with Wurth brand brushable seam sealer. Goes on excellent and flows easy, remains flexible when dry and dries fast. If you're looking for an OE look, RestoRick has some product available.

https://www.wurthusa.com/Chemical-P...hable-Seam-Sealer-1-Quart-Can/p/08901021

3m's brushable is crap. Too stiff, cracks when it dries.

Re: seam sealer question - 08/01/23 01:28 PM

this doesn't have to be a restoration product, as i'm only looking to seal up the seams where the original product has lost it's grip.
i'm also thinking the seams need resealed before i apply whatever paint/coating on the floor i decide to use ?
beer
Posted By: topside

Re: seam sealer question - 08/01/23 02:52 PM

3M, Fusor, Wurth, etc - used them all over the last 40 years, and can't recall any issues when used correctly & for the right application.
What gets used is more an issue of duplicating a factory appearance where it's visible.
For the floor under the carpet, pretty much any of them are fine.
I tend to use cartridges, and then a brush to spread it, if that's what the factory did.
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: seam sealer question - 08/01/23 06:11 PM

I love the 3M brushable sealers. dries nice and hard compared to other sealers that are more rubbery like. just use the brushable in a well ventilated area, you will get a buzz
Posted By: topside

Re: seam sealer question - 08/01/23 06:59 PM

Yeah, I forgot about the bonus ! laugh2

Re: seam sealer question - 08/02/23 02:27 PM

as if i need to get any goofier than i already am....... runaway panic laugh2
beer
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: seam sealer question - 08/02/23 03:53 PM

You know, I might have some left.

Would need to check but I think I have an almost full quart can of a generic brush on that I didn't use, and cartridges of 3M urethane.

It'll probably all hit it's shelf life before I use it. Let me know if you need any.

You can have the brushable for free/I just didn't like working with it/nasty stuff. Prefer caulk tube cartridges.

I'd attempt to sell the 3m for whatever it was I paid off Amazon, 20 something apiece.

Rather do that than toss it a year from now.
Posted By: convx4

Re: seam sealer question - 08/07/23 02:08 AM

19000 miles wow in 54 years that is a little over 350 miles a year.
My opinion would be to just remove the old sealer and not install any replacement.
The car does not need it.
Maybe leave a note under the new carpet with your name and date with the cars mileage and saying that you removed the failing seam sealer.

Re: seam sealer question - 08/10/23 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
You know, I might have some left.

Would need to check but I think I have an almost full quart can of a generic brush on that I didn't use, and cartridges of 3M urethane.

It'll probably all hit it's shelf life before I use it. Let me know if you need any.

You can have the brushable for free/I just didn't like working with it/nasty stuff. Prefer caulk tube cartridges.

I'd attempt to sell the 3m for whatever it was I paid off Amazon, 20 something apiece.

Rather do that than toss it a year from now.

thanks for the generous offer Zippy ! up bow
however, my one buddy here has some left over from a project done a few months ago that will work for me.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums