Moparts

Chroming pot metal

Posted By: BadMoonRacer

Chroming pot metal - 04/24/23 06:44 PM

Hi Moparians

I have been looking for a company to chrome the deck lid bezel on a ´67 Coronet 500.
Some companies i have contacted reply that they do not chrome pot metal. Why is that?
Is there a company who has a good reputation doing it?

Thanks for responding

Ragnar in Iceland
Posted By: topside

Re: Chroming pot metal - 04/24/23 08:47 PM

There are a few that advertise in Hemmings Motor News, but I've never needed the service, so I can't help with a specific recommendation.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Chroming pot metal - 04/24/23 09:27 PM

Years ago a buddy had his 70 Challenger tail light bezels rechromed along with some 71 Challenger wide fender and hood trim. (all pot metal parts)
He had Pauls Chrome in Florida do it, whether they can still do it is a good question.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Chroming pot metal - 04/24/23 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by BadMoonRacer
Hi Moparians

I have been looking for a company to chrome the deck lid bezel on a ´67 Coronet 500.
Some companies i have contacted reply that they do not chrome pot metal. Why is that?
Is there a company who has a good reputation doing it?
Thanks for responding
Ragnar in Iceland

Probably because if the part has any pitting, it's time consuming to fix it, to get a nice chrome finish.
Smaller the part, more intricate the "fix" becomes & thus costs.
They may do chroming, but don't due that type repairs.
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Chroming pot metal - 04/24/23 11:57 PM

Every pit in pot metal is concealing a crater once the chrome is stripped. Every one of these pits needs to be filled with silver solder is my understanding. Then body work done after all pits are filled. So much hand work is why it is so expensive to have done. Pauls does great work, not cheap, but good work seldom is. I think Pauls Chrome is in Pennysylvania last time I did business with them.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Chroming pot metal - 04/25/23 12:07 AM

Sometimes the repair and re-chroming makes the piece look a bit 'fat'.

Pot metal repair and re-chrome can be a crap shoot. I have had some re-chromes that looked good and I have had some that sucked. How much pitting does yours have?
Posted By: topside

Re: Chroming pot metal - 04/25/23 01:55 AM

Another thing is that I've seen where guys re-chroming vent frames or lamp bezels would lose the character line(s) - apparently they just ground it/them down.
I'd suggest having photos of what the piece is supposed to look like, and providing copies to whoever does the repairs, so the correct contours don't get "lost" in the repair work.
Posted By: Little Detroit

Re: Chroming pot metal - 04/25/23 12:37 PM

correct , Pauls Chrome Plating is in Mars Pennsylvania
Posted By: 340cpe

Re: Chroming pot metal - 04/25/23 07:45 PM

Yes in Pa. And do great work. Had them do 71 charger hide away grills for me and they were beautiful
Posted By: BadMoonRacer

Re: Chroming pot metal - 04/27/23 12:41 PM

Thank you all, for useful information.

Ragnar in Iceland
© 2024 Moparts Forums