Moparts

Challenger dash pad removal question

Posted By: joedee

Challenger dash pad removal question - 06/13/08 03:28 PM

I have 1970 dodge challenger that I am going to be replacing the dash pad on. The windshield is out of the car so getting to the top bolts is easy. Dash is currently complete with all the gauges, A/C vents and glove box installed. My plan is to remove the top bolts and loosen the side bottom bolts and tilt the dash foreward to get to the pad attaching bolts. Is there anything else I need to remove before I tilt the dash forward?
Posted By: Blues_Cuda

Re: Challenger dash pad removal question - 06/13/08 03:58 PM

It might be kinda hard to get to the nuts that secure the dashpad to the frame with everything in the way. (Going by memory on this though. I can find out for sure tonight, for I have a complete AC dash assembly sitting on my workbench that I recently put together for a friend.)

Re: Challenger dash pad removal question - 06/13/08 04:22 PM

Hi,
That would be great. Thanks!
Posted By: beepbeep

Re: Challenger dash pad removal question - 06/13/08 04:43 PM

IIRC the glove box and cluster is in the way.

Attached picture 4486174-junk1.jpg
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Challenger dash pad removal question - 06/13/08 06:02 PM

You'll also want the 2 steering column support studs out if they're not already.

Rick

Re: Challenger dash pad removal question - 06/13/08 06:31 PM

Thanks for the input. It almost looks like it would be easier to just take the glove box and ash tray out and just reach up under the dash versus unbolting the dash and pulling it forward.
Also, why would I need to remove the steering wheel colum studs? I was just going to loosen them to bring the wheel down some so I could tip the dash.
Posted By: Blues_Cuda

Re: Challenger dash pad removal question - 06/13/08 07:28 PM

Quote:

Also, why would I need to remove the steering wheel colum studs? I was just going to loosen them to bring the wheel down some so I could tip the dash.

They can still get in the way...especially if the front seat or steering wheel are not letting the column drop far enough.

Come to think of it, I don't think you'd be able to swing the assembly down at all with them in place.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Challenger dash pad removal question - 06/14/08 02:03 AM

Remove the instrument cluster,the glove box,and ash tray. You can get to all the nuts then. Don't forget to remove the screws on the outside of each end. Also,if you're sending your old pad in for a core, don't forget to remove your VIN tag Grind the rivets off from the bottom. don't try to drill them out from the top! Good luck
© 2024 Moparts Forums