Moparts

What to use for a hood prop rod??

Posted By: ricomondo

What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 04/20/09 02:13 AM

One of the hood hinges on the Demon crapped out, and until I can get it off and out to Resto Rick for a rebuild, my hood is droppy. If I dont get this done b4 car show season, I'll need a hood prop rod. I was trying to keep from using a broom stick, but...??? Any ideas????
Posted By: Publicbottle

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 04/20/09 02:46 AM

steels a prop rod from a car at the wrecker..??
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 04/20/09 02:51 AM

Use a broom stick, just paint it the correct organisol, stamp it "MADE IN CANADA", apply a turquoise paint blotch to the end that is down (the blotch should only be viewable from the engine side) & you should be good to go.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 04/20/09 03:05 AM

http://www.carbonfibertubeshop.com/

Maybe a little ricer but definitely trick
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 04/20/09 03:15 AM

I think a broomstick cut to length, painted black with a rubber end cap on both ends that you can buy at any True Value hardware store will look fine...

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 04/20/09 01:46 PM

Quote:

Use a broom stick, just paint it the correct organisol, stamp it "MADE IN CANADA", apply a turquoise paint blotch to the end that is down (the blotch should only be viewable from the engine side) & you should be good to go.

Ah, Barry...lol, always good for a laugh north of the border. Is it daylight there yet??...lol

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 04/20/09 01:49 PM

Quote:

I think a broomstick cut to length, painted black with a rubber end cap on both ends that you can buy at any True Value hardware store will look fine...

Actually, that doesnt sound too bad. I didnt know u could buy the rubber end caps. This might be the ticket. Unless Barry can scrounge me up an NOS paint splotched un-obtanium super rare A body prop rod....
Posted By: fig426

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 04/20/09 03:00 PM

Quote:

Sorry Barry but I have to call you out on this one. The inspection mark for the 71 hood rod (and very early 72's) was orange, not blue, and it was placed 1.26789325463723 inches from the end. Blue came in on the 3rd hour of the 11th day of the 2nd shift during the '72 production year.
Posted By: burdar

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 04/20/09 04:33 PM

This is what I did to hold the hood open on my 02 Stratus. That factory prop rod held the hood open too much. I like this look a lot. You might be able to adapt this idea to fit your needs.

I took a 2x2 piece of lumber and beveled the corners so I had an octagon shaped piece. I screwed a rubber bumper to the bottom of it that I got from a used pool cue. Then I slid the wood into a piece of rollbar padding. It worked great.

Attached picture 5176300-5136111-P1010055%282%29[1].jpg
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 04/20/09 04:57 PM

I used to use an old baseball bat to prop up the hood of the T/A after I took the springs off.
That comes in handy as it doubles as a weapon, you can fend off Galen with it when he comes around trying to take a picture of your fender tag!
Posted By: Gary67

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 04/20/09 07:37 PM

White or chrome adjustable shower curtain rod...
Posted By: 72challorange

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 04/20/09 08:06 PM

Quote:

White or chrome adjustable shower curtain rod...

I have that exact thing except it's black.

has the rubber bumpers already and twists to length.

Tom
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 04/20/09 09:29 PM

Um...Blonde, tan, bikini, (Pamela Anerson type)female, um... After that I sreiously don't think anyone would notice your droopy hood.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 04/21/09 01:20 AM

Quote:

Is it daylight there yet??...lol

Evidently not.
Posted By: carbon_fiber

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 01/04/11 04:00 AM

now a days car hoods are made-up of carbon fiber.
http://www.ultralightcomposites.com
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 01/04/11 03:49 PM

Quote:

I used to use an old baseball bat to prop up the hood of the T/A after I took the springs off.
That comes in handy as it doubles as a weapon, you can fend off Galen with it when he comes around trying to take a picture of your fender tag!

I drove by a broken down car in the "hood" the other day and the guy had a ball bat holding the hood open while he fiddled with the battery. lol

I laughted to myself when I saw the bat, I knew why it was in the car, and it was not to hold open the hood.
Posted By: wicked

Re: What to use for a hood prop rod?? - 01/05/11 04:59 PM

Quote:

© 2024 Moparts Forums