Moparts

Windshield Installation Tips

Posted By: 68CoronetRT

Windshield Installation Tips - 04/13/09 04:22 PM

I am getting read to install the windshield and rear glass on my 68 Coronet. Can anyone offer tips that will help this install go smoothly?
Also, can this be done solo?
Posted By: burdar

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/13/09 04:33 PM

I think I'm going to have a glass shop install mine.

Did you get the vynal top trim on yet?

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/13/09 06:20 PM

Yes, I got the trim on but it was a chore. Looks good though!
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/13/09 11:55 PM

Some one mentioned that they had to verify the clips were correct to hold the trim. There seems to be some differences on repop clips and that they used the thicker rear window rope, 3/8 I believe..
I have the same job coming up soon.. Good luck and post some pics...

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/14/09 01:24 AM

I ordered my clips from Tom (RT Specialties) so I am not concerned there. Mainly I just want someone that has done this before to suggest a few tips for making the job go smoothly.
I will post some pictures when I actually get into the job. Right now its more like mental prep.
Posted By: moepwr

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/14/09 03:11 PM

This is a good post and great timing for me.

I am about to put in my front and rear glass on my 69 road runner. I have the clips in. But I want to make sure I have the right ones in the right place do you have a diagram of the layout of the clips? I will probably pay to have mine put in from the glass company I am buying the new windsheild from. I have done it on other cars but I understand it is kind of a pain.

I would love to see some pictures.

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/14/09 03:41 PM

Quote:

This is a good post and great timing for me. . . I would love to see some pictures.

I sent you an email with pics.

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/14/09 03:46 PM

Thank you for the email. I will look tonight and make sure I have them in the right places.

Thanks again

Dean
Posted By: PLMCRZY

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/14/09 03:55 PM

i was glass installer for 10 yrs. ten yrs ago most shops around here (ind.) charged 50$ to install your window, that included supplies and we came to you. w/s installers are like alot of trades, they welcome side jobs. dennis
Posted By: car48nut

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/14/09 05:04 PM

Could you post the diagram of where to put the clips? Front and rear? Thanks

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/14/09 05:35 PM

Quote:

Could you post the diagram of where to put the clips? Front and rear? Thanks

These are for a 68 b-body (thanks to Tom at RT Specialties for the posting the pics.)

Front Bottom (10 pcs):

Front Sides (14 pcs):

Rear Window (20 pcs):

Be sure to use the correct screws because heads sticking up too far will cause the molding not to go on.
Posted By: badblack68

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/14/09 09:59 PM

I'm a vender for R/T specialties parts. Make sure you have the right clips for the 10 that go at the bottom of the front windshield. There are two types of clips that were used in 1968, one for early build date cars and another for later build date cars. I just did this same job on my 1968 Dodge Charger last Friday. My car used the early style clips as pictured above. It took two of us about 15 minutes to install the windshield. We used lots of windex, and a couple of plastic sticks. I swear it took us longer to lock the zipper seal than to install the windshield. I also used a new windshield gasket. Don't forget to use some butyl rubber? ribbon seal at the bottom of the windshield channel before installing the rubber windshield gasket.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/14/09 10:12 PM

Jim,

I've followed along on Moparts, your Coronet build up,....NICE car!.....Great work,

I'll tell you though, I can machine, fabricate, bodywork paint, and upholester, wiring, engines/transmission, etc, etc, etc,.....But when it comes to front windsheild installs on a 68-70 B body, I'LL GLADLY pay a professional to install it!......if you have your original glass, goodluck, hope it dosen't break ......if you have an installer supply the glass and he breaks it, he replaces it,......your glass, new or old, you might not get someone who wants to install it?.......the B body windsheild gasket is a little trickey to work with, get a guy that's done one before, don't let'em learn on yours

I hope you bought a quality repro, or NOS front gasket?.....during the gasket install you want to apply a bead of window adhesive, be it Butuyl, or Acyr ureathane (NO SILICONES) in each lower corner of the winsheild opening, about 6 inches up the A pillar post, and 12 inches along the bottom corner gasket rail, basically an "L" shape bead of sealer, then install the gasket, these two lower corners need to be sealed, even though your using a gasket, at driving speed, the rain/water is forced into these area by airflow at speed, hence the need to seal these corners, before appling the gasket, no sealer is need in fitting the glass into the gasket, do not use any inside the gasket glass reciever edge......again I strongly recommend a professional install the windsheild, just assist if needed, or point out problems

The rear window is a cake walk, I prefer to use "window tape", a preformed/sized cord of Butuyl rubber,.....generally the B bodies use the 5/16 sized tape, 3/8 dia. I generally find to thick, makes putting the trim on hard, because the window sits to high, and I hate to force the glass and trim down,....1/4" dia is available, but most times is to thin, the glass sits to low,......but every car is different, glass varies somewhat, shape and thickness wise,....so I generally buy all 3 sizes, 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" to have on hand the day I install,....what I don't need, I keep for another project or return,.....nothing sucks more than to start installing glass, and finding onesself driving back to the store for the smaller/bigger size "tape"....and they don't have it!....sound fimiliar? .....

when you install the tape you think you need, install it in a continus line, with the "seam end" on the bottom window channel, in the middle, it's gooey, so you can mould it together, I generally like to put the "tape/cord" right on the inside edge of the window lip, so that no body color shows if the chrome trim dosen't cover it later, do not attempt to fill the entire window channel with tape, 1 continuious peice is all you need, the cord kits usuall come with 2 or more rubber blocks, about 1/4"X 1/4"square or slightly larger, these are to locate the window, use one in each lower corner, they are to keep the glass from sliding down during your install, remove them after your window sets, or trim them off with a razor, flush to glass height, if they get "glued" in.........if you can install the back glass in the sun, on a nice hot day, it helps "settle" the glass down, when you finally drop the glass down, do check glass height and moulding fit, wether you install the mouldings then or later, to confirm you used the "right sized" tape, nothing sucks worse than to have to cut it out and start over later, if you catch it before it sets up, you can just retape with the larger dia, that you should have on hand just incase.......when you put the moulding down, it's best to mask with some tape, any painted areas next to the mouldings edge, so that you don't chip any paint, assistanted by a helper or not, stuff happens.......I'm sure others will chime in, good luck on the Coronet Jim

Attached picture 5164433-mopartsad.jpg
Posted By: hotrod98

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/14/09 10:51 PM

When I remove windshields from b-bodies, it always looks like there's sealant all of the way across the lower channel of the windshield. I had a local glass shop install the windshield in the 67 hemi GTX and it leaks like a sieve. Also, the inside of the gasket is puckered badly where it lays against the dash panel on the inside. We ordered a better gasket from Chuck's which is supposed to be the premium quality gasket. I was planning to add sealant all of the way across and part of the way up the sides.
As for the sealant for the front...are you talking about the 3M flowable in a tube or the rope style butyl? Looks like 3M is only making one non urethane sealant for windshields now.
I have three winshields to install. The GTX, my Daytona clone and my 68 runner that I just traded for.

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/15/09 01:25 AM

Quote:

I'm a vender for R/T specialties parts. Make sure you have the right clips for the 10 that go at the bottom of the front windshield. There are two types of clips that were used in 1968, one for early build date cars and another for later build date cars. I just did this same job on my 1968 Dodge Charger last Friday. My car used the early style clips as pictured above. It took two of us about 15 minutes to install the windshield. We used lots of windex, and a couple of plastic sticks. I swear it took us longer to lock the zipper seal than to install the windshield. I also used a new windshield gasket. Don't forget to use some butyl rubber? ribbon seal at the bottom of the windshield channel before installing the rubber windshield gasket.

My car had the bottom clips as pictured.
If I read you right you installed the gasket on the window lip and then fit the glass into the gasket?

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/15/09 01:31 AM

Mike,
Thanks for the detailed post.
Did you use any butyl primer on the glass or window lip?
Also, what size tape did you use on the bottom lip for the windshield?
Appreciate the help,
Jim

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/15/09 01:36 AM

Quote:

When I remove windshields from b-bodies, it always looks like there's sealant all of the way across the lower channel of the windshield. I had a local glass shop install the windshield in the 67 hemi GTX and it leaks like a sieve. Also, the inside of the gasket is puckered badly where it lays against the dash panel on the inside. We ordered a better gasket from Chuck's which is supposed to be the premium quality gasket. I was planning to add sealant all of the way across and part of the way up the sides.
As for the sealant for the front...are you talking about the 3M flowable in a tube or the rope style butyl? Looks like 3M is only making one non urethane sealant for windshields now.
I have three winshields to install. The GTX, my Daytona clone and my 68 runner that I just traded for.

Wow, three projects and I am struggling with one. There is a 68 GTX down the street from me that has been on blocks for over 10 years. Tried to buy it but they wouldn't even talk to me. Got a peak in the window at the VIN so its not a Hemi car anyway but the mice were tearing up the seats and the sun is drying up everything else.

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/15/09 03:02 AM

Jim,

I don't use any Butuyl primer on the glass, never had a problem getting the glass to adhere and seal to the tape, I only use 3M brand tape/cord

on the front windshield gasket, I use Butuly rubber (3M) when and if I find it, I usually buy the cartrige tube that fits in a cauking gun, if I can't find pure Butuly(getting harder to find in stock), I'll use 3M's arcylic Ureahthane window adhesive in cartrige form, the ureathane sets up fast, so you have to hustle

Attached picture 5165087-POC1007-14.jpg

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/15/09 03:11 AM

Hey Larry,

The repro B body windshield gaskets leave a lot to be desired,......granted it's a difficult piece to manufactuer,........the only ones I've had luck with are the ones from Legendary,.....I'can't recall at the moment the vendor,....but I'm thinking Metro,.....

I know at one time legendary was selling limited supplies of NOS gaskets upon request,......the last NOS one that I purchased from them was about 4 yrs ago.....price wasn't bad, under $200

PS. Larry UPS should be there tommorrow
Posted By: Darius

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/15/09 12:23 PM

Thanks for the tips you guys, mine is "looming" and this helps.
Is there a particular spacing between the clips at each area i.e.top edge, bottom sides, front winshield, back window,??
Posted By: PLMCRZY

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/15/09 02:16 PM

butyl tape comes in different shapes also. round and square. i like the round better because it is easier to get it to squish down and seal. if you are not sure what size to use, install mldgs. without glass. measure how much room is left, subtract thickness of glass. use tape that is just slightly thicker. windshields made today are alot thinner than the 60's/70's. same with tempered. (backs and sides) you never want to use silicone between rubber and metal. most silicone is acid base, thats why it smells like vinegar. however it is acceptable/ recommended to use silicone between the rubber and glass. it seals and will easily come loose in the future if needed. just lay a small bead, 1/8" before zipping gasket. zip gasket, spray with glass cleaner, scrape gently with razor. use urethane or the gooey butyl stuff between rubber and metal. clean up with mineral spirits. also not a bad idea to tape off painted surfaces. dennis
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/15/09 03:39 PM

after following these good tips on sealants and checking clip location i used the cord method on my road runner. the bottom has to go in first. you will need 2 people. after you pull the lip of the seal around the pinch weld you will probably still find that the top of the windshield doesn't pull in. it is because the windshield needs pulled from top toward the bottom. i found that the z-shaped tool for laying laminate flooring worked perfect for me. it lets you hook to the top of the gasket and gives you plenty of leverage. it's not as bad as it sounds.

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/15/09 04:48 PM

One basic question I seem to be missing the answer to. Do you put the gasket on the windshield first and then install it or do you put the gasket on the car first and then install the glass?
Posted By: minivan

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/15/09 05:03 PM

Quote:

One basic question I seem to be missing the answer to. Do you put the gasket on the windshield first and then install it or do you put the gasket on the car first and then install the glass?

The overall answer to this question is

IF the gasket has a filler or selflocking strip in it 99% of the time you install the gasket first then the glass into the gasket..

If the gasket has no additional filler strips or any type of self locking strip the gasket goes onto the glass then install entire assembly ( glass and installed gasket) into car, usually with a 1/8" rope trick....

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/15/09 06:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The overall answer to this question is

IF the gasket has a filler or selflocking strip in it 99% of the time you install the gasket first then the glass into the gasket..

If the gasket has no additional filler strips or any type of self locking strip the gasket goes onto the glass then install entire assembly ( glass and installed gasket) into car, usually with a 1/8" rope trick....

A local glass shop put a new windshield and gasket in my car about two years ago just before I took it all back apart.
I am not sure what you mean by "self locking strip" so can you elaborate on that?
Posted By: minivan

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/15/09 07:34 PM

I just did my 67 coronet and it had the lockstrip type of gasket.. After you install the WS, the lock strip,on the exterior of the gasket, needs to be "tucked" in with a tool. There is a lip that tucks under the other side.. The other type of gasket comes with a seperate "filler" strip that is installed into the exterior of the WS gasket

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/15/09 08:16 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/16/09 06:22 AM

i had a glass guy come to my garage for 75.00 plus glass,as a first time restorer i can add,be sure that your dash frame is centered,as when you put the rest of the interior trim around pad you will not be sorry,as i just found out ,now may have to remove glass to get dash frame over 1/2"

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/16/09 11:55 AM

i think those guys answered your question. the gasket has to be on the windshield first and of course the dash must be in and centered. i'm not sure but i'd think your gasket would be the same as my 69 rr, without the locking bead. it is important to start the bottom in first. at first it will look like it won't fit but slowly it works it's way in. just don't be tempted to pound on it too much. good luck.

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/16/09 02:45 PM

I appreciate all of the comments. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
Posted By: Rodney

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/16/09 03:32 PM

I've installed glass on several A ,C and B bodies mopars over the years and this is my

Doing this correctly is a lost art IMO and taking it to a "glass shop" may not be the best choice unless they understand the special needs older Mopars require.
Most glass installers will probably grab a tub or tubes of urethane sealer and go with that. Not a good plan IMO.

Its always a good idea to start with new glass and rubber gasket for the windshield and a 3/8 round bead seal or ribbon sealer {3m Part number 08612} for the rear.

As already discussed make positive that the clips are correct and mounted in the the correct place for each clip some time the side are a little shorter than the top. Make sure the screws or rivets {shame on you if you use rivets } are sealed.
It's a real good idea to test fit the moldings before committing to the install.

For the windshield clean the glass with windex.
Trim any excess laminate from the edge of the glass with a razor blade.
Clean the new gasket seal to remove the release agent and any other contaminants.
for a locking gasket install the gasket in the pinch weld with a small bead of 3M bedding compound to the grove in the gasket that fits to the body. Install the gasket to the body.
Now slide the glass in the bottom of the gasket and by using windshield bones gently and evenly work the gasket lip from the inside all the way around the glass. Use a little soap { I use hand cleaner} to lubricate the rubber and glass but clean this up well before sealing. This will take several trips to get it to lip over the edge of the glass. Don't twist the bones when they are inserted between the glass and seal or you will take a chance of breaking the glass. Once the glass is resting in the gasket and before you lip the lock seal I use a VERY small amount of urethane sealer between the glass and seal then lock the rubber. I like to see a small amount of sealer ooze from between the glass and gasket. The excess cleans up nicely with a razor blade once the urethane has cured.
Now use the 3m bedding and glazing compound between the gasket and body.
Water test your work before installing the moldings

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/16/09 04:03 PM

This is a great thread

Thanks to everyone who gave great suggestions and tips. As I am doing this part very soon, this thread has been a great resource.

Thanks again
Posted By: car48nut

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/17/09 12:50 AM

I dry fit the back window in my roadrunner(68), the glass did not sit perfect on the flange around the opening. Does the ribbon caulk make up for that or do I have to try and get the glass to lay flat around the entire window. I have a small open area in one lower corner. It's about an heavy 1/8 inch right in the corner.
Posted By: njmopar

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/17/09 01:46 AM

Not to hijack a thread, but I have a question. Would you guys reinstall a windsheild that has slight bubbles on the edge (behind the gasket)? I have really clean glass, but under the gasket there are slight bubbles. I was wondering if these travel over time. It would stink to have to take out the glass later on down the road.

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/17/09 03:13 AM

The shop that installed the non-locking gasket in this 67 GTX that I'm restoring put the gasket on the glass first. They then placed rope around the gasket, laid the glass in position and pulled the rope all of the way around until the gasket was pulled over the pinch weld. It seems that they failed to put any sealant along the bottom and part of the way up the sides as was mentioned earlier in this thread. Now, I'm having to cut out a new gasket and then re-install the glass using a new gasket to try and correct this leakage problem. I want to make sure that this time everything goes right. Is this a proven method of installation or does the non locking style gasket install the same way that you just explained?
I confuse easily. It's an age thing.

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/17/09 01:08 PM

The bubbles shouldn't be a problem but this is an indication the glass is old. Yes the bubbles may continue to creep out from the edge.
Check carefully for chips and pitting, these will give you more of a problem when installing and later on.
Price a new glass and decide what your pocket book can afford.
New glass is always nice to look through and makes the over all restoration of the car look that much better.

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/17/09 01:26 PM

A person can use the rope method in some cases yours must be one of them. Its been a long time since I've done a 66-67 non lock type. On some of the gaskets the bottom basically lays on the bottom of the cowl so sitting the gasket first is best {for me any way}. If you haven't already removed the new glass why not try and seal up what you have with the urethane between the gasket and glass by having the tip of the tube cut very small and inject the sealer back as far as you can under the seal just take it slow and easy trying not to skip or miss any area. Then use the bedding and glazing product for the area between the body and gasket I've been able to apply this from the side of the car as well but the bottom really needs to be sealed before the glass and gasket is set in the body. You may be able to inject this under as well. Give it a try, what do you have to loose but a little time.
I always wear hand protection {nitrate gloves} when working with the urethane it's something you really don't want to get on yourself and don't be wearing your favorite T shirt! once this stuff gets on your cloths its on for ever!
Another thing that really help when working with the sealer is to heat the tubes up and not use them when below 70 degrees. I use my heat gun about a foot way from the tube until they are nice and warm

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/17/09 02:58 PM

We actually had a second problem with this gasket. On the inside where the gasket lays against the dash, it's puckering up on the passenger side. I suppose that I could pump some butyl under it but that doesn't seem appropriate. We have a new gasket on the way that is supposed to be a much better gasket. I'm going to try that.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/17/09 03:12 PM

I will be doing this to front and rear, but on a 70 E-body,
whats the difference ?
Posted By: burdar

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/17/09 03:54 PM

There is no gasket on an E-body. The glass just drops in place once the bead of sealer is applied.

I'm correct in that statment right?

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/17/09 05:15 PM

yes your right 3/8 tape kit front and 3/8 or 5/16 rear, need to check out how much the glass sits down into the pinch weld. I have been know to back fill the tape with urethane if there is room and press it in and smooth it out with an acid brush or windshield bone.
Cleanliness is very important when working any sealer and glass. you should also use a pinch weld primer before installing the tape to the body. I've been know to use the primer intended for urethane since finding the products for older systems are getting harder all the time.
water test before installing the trim
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/17/09 05:28 PM

thank you!!!

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/23/09 10:41 PM

O.K. I got the thing in there and the trim fit and I am happy.
Mine was a locking type gasket so here are a couple of pointers:
1. When you apply the ribbon sealer to the bottom area before installing the gasket on the car be sure to keep it up near the seam formed by the dash and body. If you get it too far down your gasket will not slip under the tabs properly and will buckle up on the inside.
2. Install the bottom portion of the gasket completely but when you start up the sides and do the top only partially start them on the lip. This will enable you to tip them up in order to get the top edge over the glass.
3. Work the glass into the gasket using a plastic tool. I tried wood but it splintered too much so I switched to a plastic handled brush I use to clean my spray guns with. Proceed by starting up the sides and then working from the middle top toward the corners. (most difficult spot)
4. Stretch the corners over the window and then apply firm pressure and the glass should slip into place. You'll know when it does.
5. If desired place a small (1/16") bead of clear silicone under the top lip of the gasket.
6. Use plastic tool to lock the gasket into place.
7. Check to see that everything is in proper postion then apply trim.

Note: my wife helped me set the windshield in place and the rest was a one man operation.

Boy, I'm glad that's done.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 04/24/09 01:56 AM

Thanks for the follow up post, man that paint is awesome....
Posted By: Shakey

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 05/05/09 04:22 PM

Looks really good - great thread!

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 08/22/09 08:42 PM

This thread has been very informative. However I still managed to screw it up. I tried to install my windshield in my 1968 Plymouth Satellite last night and got it about 1/2 way in before I cracked the drivers side upper corner of the glass. It was my own fault. I was looking at my original 1968 service manual on how it says to install glass there. It says to install teh glass into the top of the gasket first then work it down. I dont know if this would have helped but thought I would throw it out. I will be getting ready for my second try with another new window tomarrow. wish me luck.
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 08/23/09 01:00 PM

Always install the lower part of the glass first into the windshield gasket. I would STRONGLY encourage anyone looking to install their windshield themselves to go get a couple "windshield bones". These are plastic flat tipped installation tools that will make the job much easier. Since they are plastic you greatly reduce your chances of chipping the glass while using them. Stop into a auto glass business and ask if you can have/buy some old ones. I paid a guy years ago to install a windshield for me and he made it look so easy. He was kind enough to leave me a pair of "bones" for the next car I restore. Now I just install them myself. Keep the gasket wet with windex as you slide along the tool working the glass into the gasket.
Posted By: Arleen's B-body

Re: Windshield Installation Tips - 06/01/12 02:22 PM

Hello, I have a 68 Charger. Does anybody have pictures of the clips installed on the car?

I'm working on front and rear glass. All pictures welcome.

. . . I'm off to find bones

Thanks
Arleen
© 2024 Moparts Forums