Moparts

Question about my A12 reverse indicator light wire.

Posted By: Texican

Question about my A12 reverse indicator light wire. - 04/20/22 02:24 AM

Hi
Can anyone show me where the 4-speed "reverse indicator light" harness routes through the firewall ?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Attached picture nss3.jpg
Posted By: A12

Re: Question about my A12 neutral safety switch harness. - 04/20/22 02:48 AM

confused Hmmmmmm the only one that makes sense is "A". Maybe someone else can help? Reason I say that is my A12 is a 727 auto BUT my '69 GTX is a 4-Speed with a reverse light under the dash AND a tachometer and I "think" both the reverse light wire and the tach wire come through the firewall through the same LARGE hole but up and to the driver's side? Here's an ugly shot of what I think is the hole on the GTX for those wires for the reverse light and tach. Probably wrong on this but hope someone else will chime in.

Mike too grin

Attached picture nss3 (1)AB.jpg
Attached picture DSC02852.JPG
Posted By: topside

Re: Question about my A12 neutral safety switch harness. - 04/20/22 03:00 AM

Hole "B" is not punched on my '69 RR - 4speed with light but no factory tach - and it's an unrestored 17,000-mile car.
Not much help on an AT car, though...
Posted By: A12

Re: Question about my A12 neutral safety switch harness. - 04/20/22 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by topside
Hole "B" is not punched on my '69 RR - 4speed with light but no factory tach - and it's an unrestored 17,000-mile car.
Not much help on an AT car, though...

Does your car have the "A" (I don't want to say it but I just have to wink ) hole? biggrin laugh2 laugh2

Re: Question about my A12 neutral safety switch harness. - 04/20/22 03:44 AM

Pun intended smile

I guess it could route through either hole, and maybe the length of the harness would give me a hint.
It may have to route through hole A.
Posted By: topside

Re: Question about my A12 neutral safety switch harness. - 04/20/22 02:24 PM

A12 - Hey, it wouldn't be as funny if you'd said "Hole A" !
(My car has TWO A-holes: one in the firewall & one in the driver's seat !)

Hole A is for a heater box stud.
My 4-speed NSS wire runs up over the bellhousing, to near the rt side valve cover, and joins a harness near the harness retaining clip there.
I would think all NSS routing would be the same, for assembly-line reasons, and that B is tach only regardless of transmission.
I could be wrong on that, but it would also dovetail with tach being called out on the body tag so B gets punched/drilled.
Posted By: Kilrbee

Re: Question about my A12 reverse indicator light wire. - 04/27/22 03:08 PM

The wires will be in two of the open spots in your bulkhead connection, Your service manual will show where the wires will go. The hole marked "B" is for the tach wire only.
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: Question about my A12 reverse indicator light wire. - 04/27/22 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kilrbee
The wires will be in two of the open spots in your bulkhead connection, Your service manual will show where the wires will go. The hole marked "B" is for the tach wire only.

Correct...it connects at bulkhead. Pretty sure it is one of the two bottom outside corners. A look at the wiring diagram will clarify it for you.

Re: Question about my A12 reverse indicator light wire. - 07/16/22 03:05 AM

Thanks to all ~
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Question about my A12 neutral safety switch harness. - 08/03/22 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by A12
confused Hmmmmmm the only one that makes sense is "A". Maybe someone else can help? Reason I say that is my A12 is a 727 auto BUT my '69 GTX is a 4-Speed with a reverse light under the dash AND a tachometer and I "think" both the reverse light wire and the tach wire come through the firewall through the same LARGE hole but up and to the driver's side? Here's an ugly shot of what I think is the hole on the GTX for those wires for the reverse light and tach. Probably wrong on this but hope someone else will chime in.

Mike too grin

Sorry for the late response ....

Hole A is where the throttle cable comes thru , B is the optional Tach. The reverse lights go thru the bulkhead connected to a wiring harness' empty holes ... same ones as the neutral safety switch for auto trans? ..... check your wiring diagram ...
Posted By: Mike Mancini

Re: Question about my A12 neutral safety switch harness. - 08/05/22 01:52 AM

The dash mounted reverse light indicator wire installs into the "Z" terminal in the bulkhead connector.
© 2024 Moparts Forums