Moparts

a12 hood

Posted By: stickman

a12 hood - 03/27/22 12:25 AM

Who makes a good repo A12 hood? Also does anyone make a bolt one using factory hood hinges ? Thanks Guys.
Posted By: WORKER_BEE

Re: a12 hood - 04/01/22 01:23 AM

I have no experience with this company or its products....just giving you a link.

http://www.usbody.com/
Posted By: A12

Re: a12 hood - 04/01/22 04:57 AM

Year One in the past made the best and closest to the original A12 Lift-Off-Hood IMO. In fact it was so close to the original that it was passed off I'm sure as an original many times. The only way to tell a Yr1 from an original was IT WAS WAY BETTER MADE as far as the under hood fiberglass mat build quality laugh2 The original hood's underside fiberglass looks like I would have done it in my garage, not very nice. Anyway I just checked to see if Year One still sold an A12 hood and they do have one listed but not available at this time. It's been a while since I've checked Yr1 or have heard anything about this hood or if it is like the one they sold since the 90's ??? Here's the link. Let us know if you find anything out about the Year One A12 hood. Oh and also the Year One A12 hood was not the best hood to add hood hinges to but I think it's been done. There's a thin A12 style hood that used to be made by a company in Cocoa Florida (forgot the name) that is really nice and was actually made to accept standard hood hinges.

Year One A12 hood link:
https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/lh1002#prettyPhoto

Mike
Posted By: topside

Re: a12 hood - 04/01/22 03:02 PM

Check with AAR Fiberglass in FL - Titusville, IIRC.

Had one of their hoods (A12 style on a Duster) - it was pretty nice and accepted hinges & latch.

Re: a12 hood - 04/01/22 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by topside

Had one of their hoods (A12 style on a Duster) - it was pretty nice and accepted hinges & latch.

Yes up that's the one in Florida I was trying to remember, really nicely made and made for hood hinges too.
Posted By: greendart408

Re: a12 hood - 04/02/22 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by topside

Now called stinger......I have one of their 340 buldge hoods on my og 69, 340 swinger. It’s a mint piece. Their quality is exceptional is what I’m getting at. Good stuff
Posted By: Ply72rr

Re: a12 hood - 04/02/22 02:22 AM

https://aarqualityfiberglass.com/product/hood-road-runner-1968-1969-six-pack-bolt-on/
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: a12 hood - 04/02/22 08:45 PM

I saw one bad good from them. Ask Daycona (Mike about Stinger he has looked at plenty)
I think he knows of a better source than the new AAR under Stinger.
But AAR may also be your only option.
Posted By: ink

Re: a12 hood - 04/03/22 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by A12
Year One in the past made the best and closest to the original A12 Lift-Off-Hood IMO. In fact it was so close to the original that it was passed off I'm sure as an original many times. The only way to tell a Yr1 from an original was IT WAS WAY BETTER MADE as far as the under hood fiberglass mat build quality laugh2 The original hood's underside fiberglass looks like I would have done it in my garage, not very nice. Anyway I just checked to see if Year One still sold an A12 hood and they do have one listed but not available at this time. It's been a while since I've checked Yr1 or have heard anything about this hood or if it is like the one they sold since the 90's ??? Here's the link. Let us know if you find anything out about the Year One A12 hood. Oh and also the Year One A12 hood was not the best hood to add hood hinges to but I think it's been done. There's a thin A12 style hood that used to be made by a company in Cocoa Florida (forgot the name) that is really nice and was actually made to accept standard hood hinges.

Year One A12 hood link:
https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/lh1002#prettyPhoto

Mike
I have two original A12 hoods and just pick up a used year one hood that still has sticker on it never been on car. IMO.the year one is in no way better than my originals!!!!!

Re: a12 hood - 04/03/22 05:09 AM

I said the UNDERSIDE was way better made than the original not that the Year One was better. I have both and to the unknowing I will bet they would pick the Year One as being the original hood because of the underside better "looking" finish.

The only way to tell a Yr1 from an original was IT WAS WAY BETTER MADE as far as the under hood fiberglass mat build quality

Guess which one is the original and which is the Year One reproduction wink

Attached picture DSC07965.JPG
Attached picture Hood LOH reproduction YR1 copya (3).jpg
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: a12 hood - 04/03/22 02:47 PM

Hi A12, where are you located in NE Ohio?
I live in Kirtland and I need to cut the hole in my glass hood for the scoop.

This is a hood for our 70 Charger 6-pak.
If you could make a template or give me some measurements of the offset
from centerline and back edge so I don't bungle the opening, it would be greatly appreciated.

If you do a template, I could pick it up.

Thanks, Joe

Re: a12 hood - 04/03/22 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by jlatessa
Hi A12, where are you located in NE Ohio?
I live in Kirtland and I need to cut the hole in my glass hood for the scoop.

This is a hood for our 70 Charger 6-pak.
If you could make a template or give me some measurements of the offset
from centerline and back edge so I don't bungle the opening, it would be greatly appreciated.

If you do a template, I could pick it up.

Thanks, Joe

Where to start? I'm assuming you are going to be using the large oval air filter like on the Hemi and Six Pack cars? Next is that the hood scoop as you know is centered left to right on the hood but how far back from the front your scoop will need to go is the question. The how far back the scoop is on a Super Bee versus a Road Runner is I think an inch or so different from what I know so using an A12 Road Runner hood as a reference may not bee (pun) correct for your Charger??. If I were cutting a hole into your Charger's hood I would probably take your air filter big oval COVER and flip it upside down with the concaved shape up so if I lowered the hood onto it then it would touch the underside of the hood. If it didn't touch I would shim it until it just did. Then I would put some grease or maybe the stringline blue chalk or something that would leave a mark as to where the air filter cover touches the underside of the hood. Then I would work from go from there to center the hood scoop front to rear as the left to right is a given. Here are some illustrations/drawings that may help. Some are exact copies of factory A12 documents and some as you can see are ones I did to show the underside opening is NOT centered.

MikeR

Attached picture Hood_location_with_lines_orig_hood_underside_A.jpg
Attached picture Hood_Pin_location_RR1.jpg
Attached picture Hood_Pin_location_RM_Road_Runner_1969_LOH_MikeR_002.jpg
Attached picture Hood_Pin_location_WM_Super_Bee_1969_LOH_MikeR_0S_002.jpg
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: a12 hood - 04/04/22 04:15 AM

Correct Mike, using a std. 6 pak air cleaner set up, no A-12 base, That may come later.
I know the scoop is centered vs. the the hood opening being over the engine.

I THINK all B bodies had the same firewall and fender to fender dimensions in that 68-70 time span???

I you can give me the dimension from the back of the hood opening to the back of the hood and the width
and length of the hole, that will get me close enough.

the schematic you sent will definitely help with the 4 pin placements.

If I'm missing any other particulars, please fill me in.

Thank you very much for the help, Joe

440-37six zero 97eight

PS I think the different front pin locations are due to the grill design and maybe hood length

Re: a12 hood - 04/04/22 10:07 AM

PS I think the different front pin locations are due to the grill design and maybe hood length

BTW maybe this is a coincidence but the '69 Super Bee and Road Runner have a difference in wheelbase of almost the exact same distance.......probably only a co-inky-dink laugh2

MikeR
Posted By: ink

Re: a12 hood - 04/05/22 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by A12
I said the UNDERSIDE was way better made than the original not that the Year One was better. I have both and to the unknowing I will bet they would pick the Year One as being the original hood because of the underside better "looking" finish.

The only way to tell a Yr1 from an original was IT WAS WAY BETTER MADE as far as the under hood fiberglass mat build quality

Guess which one is the original and which is the Year One reproduction wink
if only it wasn't so hard for me to post pics !!!! I will say my hood has been painted on under side . I had asked the painter not to paint over the green but he forgot ;( i still say my original is nicer than my year one !!! top and bottom maybe its because i have super bee hoods ??? and everyone knows super bees are nicer than roadrunners !!
Posted By: GY3

Re: a12 hood - 04/05/22 02:47 PM

everyone knows super bees are nicer than roadrunners !!

Of course! grin

Re: a12 hood - 04/05/22 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

Of course! grin

Nicer but sadly not as quick wink
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: a12 hood - 04/06/22 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

Of course! grin

grin up
© 2024 Moparts Forums