Moparts

How to paint new organisol over old organisol

Posted By: Anonymous

How to paint new organisol over old organisol - 06/12/08 03:44 AM

Old organisol was painted in 1993 and it was probably the old lacquer (if thats what you could get from year one back then). New organisol from Totally Auto is enamel.

I know enamel over laquer is very very bad and wont work. What do you put down on top of the laqcuer to make sure the enamel doesnt lift
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: How to paint new organisol over old organisol - 06/12/08 04:29 AM

What I would suggest is to scuff/wetsand the old organisol good, and then spray one or two coats of Black PPG DP90 epoxy primer over that. Then within one day to one week, spray the new organisol.

The reasons why I use the black epoxy are due to the incompatibility issue, and the new organisol (at least the one I used) is not fuel tolerant and will become disrupted with a fuel spill. The black epoxy primer combats against bleeding through to the undercoats and it is the most unoticeable since it is similar in sheen and color.

Good luck to you,
Greg.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: How to paint new organisol over old organisol - 06/12/08 12:14 PM

you can spray enamel paint over lacquer paint without problems. it was done all of the time in the old days.
when you spray lacquer over enamel that's when you have lifting problems.
spraying DP down first is a good idea. it will help keep the enamel from soaking into the lacquer.
Posted By: RedFish

Re: How to paint new organisol over old organisol - 06/12/08 01:21 PM

Quote:

scuff/wetsand the old organisol good, and then spray one or two coats of Black PPG DP90 epoxy primer over that. Then within one day to one week, spray the new organisol.

This is how I did mine.
Posted By: Aero426

Re: How to paint new organisol over old organisol - 06/12/08 05:57 PM

Quote:

you can spray enamel paint over lacquer paint without problems. it was done all of the time in the old days.
when you spray lacquer over enamel that's when you have lifting problems.
spraying DP down first is a good idea. it will help keep the enamel from soaking into the lacquer.

This is correct.

Problems occur when you spray those "hot" lacquer solvents over enamel. Not the other way around.
Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: How to paint new organisol over old organisol - 06/13/08 03:52 PM

Always read the tech sheets. Here's a quote:

"When [DP90] is sprayed over lacquer substrates or basecoat that is not crosslinked,
and then allowed to set overnight before applying another coat of primer or a topcoat,
lifting can occur. This can be avoided by applying the DPLF Epoxy Primer, color and
clear coat in the same day or by adding 5% of DX57 RTS DBC."

...and the link:
DP90 tech sheet
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: How to paint new organisol over old organisol - 06/13/08 04:25 PM

What is the reason for doing it? I have saved original organsol that was in not too bad shape. PM me if interested.
© 2024 Moparts Forums