Moparts

Air Cleaner

Posted By: GVH

Air Cleaner - 03/30/21 02:06 PM

Want to refinish my 71 340 air cleaner . It is in not bad condition what would best a stripper or a light medium ,not wanting to warp?
Who supplies the best spray can wrinkle paint ? Have heard that Harley Davidson has a good one .
TYIA.
Gerry
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Air Cleaner - 03/30/21 02:13 PM

Spray on oven cleaner. Put a/c in plastic bag to slow the evaporation. I like the lemon scented stuff.
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: Air Cleaner - 03/30/21 02:56 PM

i just cleaned mine and lightly sprayed semi flat over it..looks brand new and still has all its orig texture..

Attached picture 006.JPG

Re: Air Cleaner - 03/31/21 10:28 AM

looks good but mine is peeling
Posted By: Neil

Re: Air Cleaner - 03/31/21 02:13 PM

3M paint stripping disc to get the outside stuff off and hand sand the interior or use paint stripper. You can sandblast the inside, but your likely to get sand packed up under the baffles that will have to be dug back out.

Detroit Muscle Technologies sells new lid gaskets. ECS sells new filter decals.

They make wrinkle powder coating that a lot of people swear by vs paint can stuff.

Re: Air Cleaner - 04/02/21 11:59 AM

who makes this wrinkle powder you mentioned ?

Re: Air Cleaner - 04/02/21 02:30 PM

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/learn/8/wrinkle-powder-coating-colors
Posted By: chrisf

Re: Air Cleaner - 04/02/21 02:52 PM

just media blast it and skip the mess and headaches of strippers and sanding discs. 50-100 or 100-200 glass and you will never warp it unless your standing on it to blast. if you powdercoat your coater most likely will have the facilities to blast it.
if you do have a good blaster locally that uses fine medias just take it there.
Posted By: Bennoel 10

Re: Air Cleaner - 04/02/21 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by chrisf
just media blast it and skip the mess and headaches of strippers and sanding discs. 50-100 or 100-200 glass and you will never warp it unless your standing on it to blast. if you powdercoat your coater most likely will have the facilities to blast it.
if you do have a good blaster locally that uses fine medias just take it there.

I agree 👍
That's exactly what I did (glass beads) in a sandblasting cabinet. Then I just used wrinkle paint from local auto store (Canadian Tire). Heated up the air cleaner in an oven first and laid on the paint thick. Turned out good. I've done a few like that with good results and long lasting.

Re: Air Cleaner - 04/02/21 06:12 PM

I hesitate to take stuff to blasters as many use sand and high pressure as they do trailers and other thick metals. Those are the types of guys who will wreck thin sheetmetal parts and then shrug their shoulders and say not my problem.
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Air Cleaner - 04/03/21 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by GVH
Want to refinish my 71 340 air cleaner . It is in not bad condition what would best a stripper or a light medium ,not wanting to warp?
Who supplies the best spray can wrinkle paint ? Have heard that Harley Davidson has a good one .
TYIA.
Gerry

I have a big oven here at my shop and powder coat all my unsilenced air cleaners as well as Hemi valve covers. Send it to me, I'll do it for $75.
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Air Cleaner - 04/04/21 04:29 PM

I'd take Mike up on his offer. $75 is a great price. I think that powder coating is more durable than paint.
© 2024 Moparts Forums