Moparts

Power steering slams to the left (T/A)

Posted By: Kirby

Power steering slams to the left (T/A) - 06/10/08 02:29 PM

The power steering on my T/A slams the wheel to the left. I am assuming the centering valve is stuck or shot. Any suggestions? Hoping to avoid a rebuild- I want to drive the dang thing finally- instead of opening another can of worms- Thanks guys- Kirby
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Power steering slams to the left (T/A) - 06/10/08 05:07 PM

Yes, sounds like the centering valve on top of the power steering unit. Full procedure is in the factory service manual, but the gist of it is to loosen the bolts holding it, (don't remove them, just loosen them) then tap the valve up or down (forward or rearward) on the steering box till it works like you want it to, then tighten the bolts back up. Sounds like it's all the way in one direction, and needs to go back the other way. use light tapping, A little bit goes a long way.

Tav

Re: Power steering slams to the left (T/A) - 06/10/08 06:29 PM

Thanks Tav- I'll mess with it tonight-
Posted By: Ludington1

Re: Power steering slams to the left (T/A) - 06/10/08 07:40 PM

I agree with Tav... but don't loosen the bolts much, just BARELY loosen them and tab the valve. There's a bunch of pressure in there, I ended up with power steering fluid all over the place when I adjusted mine because I loosened the bolts too much.

Darren
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Power steering slams to the left (T/A) - 06/10/08 07:47 PM

Just a little extra detail...Raise the tires off the ground so they don't add drag...If they are on the ground you'll get close but going down the road the car may drift due to a slight misadjustment...
Posted By: beepbeep

Re: Power steering slams to the left (T/A) - 06/10/08 08:41 PM

Quote:

The power steering on my T/A slams the wheel to the left. I am assuming the centering valve is stuck or shot. Any suggestions? Hoping to avoid a rebuild- I want to drive the dang thing finally- instead of opening another can of worms- Thanks guys- Kirby

Attached picture 4480304-steeringadj.jpg

Re: Power steering slams to the left (T/A) - 06/11/08 01:34 PM

Thanks guys- Got it working last night. Had to take the top off- had a broken spring in there- works now. Will be driving it tonight- finally!
© 2024 Moparts Forums