Moparts

Aftermarket drip rail trim options?

Posted By: fatsat

Aftermarket drip rail trim options? - 09/30/20 06:27 PM

Looking into buying drip rail trim. I know that original trim is always best, especially for vinyl top, but in your experience which aftermarket brands are proven to be a good alternative?
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: Aftermarket drip rail trim options? - 09/30/20 09:20 PM

What make & model,I don't think they repop drip rail trim,they may for cuda/challenger

Re: Aftermarket drip rail trim options? - 10/01/20 12:48 AM

70 Sport Satellite
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Aftermarket drip rail trim options? - 10/01/20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by fatsat
Looking into buying drip rail trim. I know that original trim is always best, especially for vinyl top, but in your experience which aftermarket brands are proven to be a good alternative?

I bought a set from 521 restorations, they were nice, but too small for a vinyl top. In order to use any new mouldings for vinyl you need to grind, and then sand smooth the drip rails until they just snap on with your fingers. I would also warn you to only epoxy prime the rails, then mask them off so they get no paint buildup. When you install them, wear cotton gloves and do not beat on them. I have a set from classic industries, and they appear to be the same. I found a set of originals for mine with vinyl, for a non vinyl car these would be fine, with a pre fit.
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: Aftermarket drip rail trim options? - 10/01/20 10:37 PM

There's 2 different versions those with & w/o vinyl top, vinyl top ones are wider in the mounting area where fit over drip rail, don't know if this is true or not but I heard somewhere that the vinyl top ones can be identified by some green paint markings on the back side.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Aftermarket drip rail trim options? - 10/04/20 06:20 PM

That is correct, originals will have green or purple dye if they are for a vinyl top. The sizes I have found are as follows

Closed-C inside size outside size

.375 .460 .490 current repop

.420 .490 .520 some early repops

.380 .470 .505 non-vinyl originals

.430 .510 .540 vinyl originals

As you can see about .050-.060 worth of grinding and sanding on the drip rails and they will work.

Re: Aftermarket drip rail trim options? - 10/12/20 04:12 PM

No grinding for me, I already have the top installed. At this point I'm finding that all of my original trim is in good enough shape. The only piece I'm needing is the left side top drip rail piece. If anyone has one in good shape then let me know in a PM.
© 2024 Moparts Forums