Moparts

Suspension Resto progress and experimentation.....

Posted By: cdp

Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/23/09 12:54 AM

I've been in the process of restoring my suspension on my A12. This is the first time I've really tried to do a more authentic resto than just POR paint and rattle cans.

I cleaned/blasted my LCA's then painted them with Seymours Stainless steal paint. (i know, its rattle can!) Then found this product called Weathershed that is cosmoline in a can. I sprayed for about a week 2-3X a day with letting it dry in between. 1 can did both arms.

Tell me what you think. Still have paint daubs to go.

Attached picture 5111631-suspension_a12009.jpg

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/23/09 12:57 AM

The struts were rusty as usual and I soaked them in a 2" pipe filled with Evapo-rust. Man that is some impressive stuff. They look like new and only soaked for a day. I took them out and scrubbed them with a plastic bristle brush a few times during the soak.

Attached picture 5111641-suspension_a12010.jpg

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/23/09 01:02 AM

I found these products by accident online. To buy direct, I had to buy a case of 12, but they allowed me to mix and match.

The "cosmoline" is actually a penetrating oil.

The "rust veto" is a dry film protectant. Like MP50.

The "weather shed" is the cosmoline like we all look for. A heavy wax base product.

Cost with shipping was about $7.00 a can.

Attached picture 5111652-suspension_a12008.jpg
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/23/09 01:18 AM

Looks great.. Much better than mine.. If I was going to do it over again, I would have done it straight from this stuff.. Have a can, but didn't have the patience...

Look forward in seeing your next step...

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/23/09 01:18 AM

I soaked these parts in Saferustremovel.com's product and I have to say I was again impressed with the results. These were just a little cruddy and had surface rust. A soak for about 3 hours had them all cleaned up.

I sprayed Rust Veto on them to keep them from flashing.

Attached picture 5111704-TQ_carbs023.jpg

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/23/09 01:20 AM

after soak.

Attached picture 5111708-suspension_a12011.jpg
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/23/09 02:23 AM

Quote:

I soaked these parts in Saferustremovel.com's product and I have to say I was again impressed with the results. These were just a little cruddy and had surface rust. A soak for about 3 hours had them all cleaned up.

I sprayed Rust Veto on them to keep them from flashing.

Great thread!

why didnt you use the Evapo-rust again?

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/23/09 11:57 AM

I ordered the saferustremover, then, by chance, I was at Harbor Freight and they had Evapo-rust. So I decided to do some experimenting.

I think the evapo rust is a little more aggressive and I soaked my struts and drag link in it. In the end, I think they both work well.

Since Saferustremover is "green", I ordered more to soak me brake pedal assembly and Ebrake assemly in.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/23/09 12:42 PM

looks good, keep posting please.

Tav

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/23/09 01:36 PM

Chris..
Great information and good idea on the e-brake mechanism and pedal assembly. I'm in need of addressing these soon on my '68 to get them back in the car...
Posted By: BS27ROB

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/23/09 11:14 PM

Quote:

I think the evapo rust is a little more aggressive and I soaked my struts and drag link in it.

What do you mean by more aggressive? Faster acting or does it affect the original surface appearance in some way?

Thanks Cy

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/24/09 12:06 AM

I really can't tell. Both say they are biodegradable and non toxic. The Evapo Rust has a bit of a chemical smell. Maybe its so people can tell your not suppose to drink it. The other stuff is oderless and colorless. From what I can tell, they both work equally well.

Here is my drag link before and after as well as a side by side comparison on some door hardware.

Attached picture 5113911-suspension_a12001.jpg

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/24/09 12:09 AM

just pulled it out after work today. Its basically been in for 24 hours. I think it was OK to take out this morning, but didn't have time.

Attached picture 5113928-suspension_a12016.jpg

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/24/09 12:17 AM

how often do you need to use fresh solvent?

Do you think its safe to be submerging the tie rod ends?

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/24/09 12:21 AM

one more. The tie rod ends are the originals with the factory knock of zerks.

Attached picture 5113961-suspension_a12015.jpg

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/24/09 12:26 AM

I think the tie rod ends will be fine. One of them is bad and needs replaced. I have noticed that the solution had alot of grease in it. I used a whole gallon to do these and am soaking more right now. Its pretty dirty, so I think you should spend quit a bit of time cleaning with Mean Green (i get at the dollar general along with $1 cans of oven cleaner). I didn't get the tie rod end sleeves clean enough before derusting.

This is what I have soaking now.

Attached picture 5113977-suspension_a12021.jpg

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/24/09 12:27 AM

and these....

The directions say keep reusing it until the activation power is lost.

I thought about using muratic acid thats diluted, but its some pretty nasty stuff.

Attached picture 5113984-suspension_a12024.jpg

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/24/09 12:49 AM

my rusty assembly...after tear down.

Attached picture 5114060-DSCF1855.JPG
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/24/09 01:13 AM

I find this interesting I've never really heard of this stuff before. I've used muratic acid with great results, but if the parts are not attended t right away they will flash rust pretty quick.

Two Questions:

What do you rinse the parts with after soaking?

Will the parts flash rust?

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/24/09 01:25 AM

Parts will flash right away. The pics I took after work today were basically flash rusting during the pics.

I neutralized with water and let dry. The wind is blowing at about 40mph right now, so it was a quick air dry.

I followed up by using the Rust Veto. If I need to paint later on or something, I can resubmerge or clean off the Rust Veto with lacquer thinner.

Attached picture 5114186-suspension_a12017.jpg

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/24/09 01:27 AM

before...

Attached picture 5114194-suspension_a12003.jpg
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/24/09 01:50 AM

Quote:

and these....

The directions say keep reusing it until the activation power is lost.

I thought about using muratic acid thats diluted, but its some pretty nasty stuff.

What did the latches look like after the soak?

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/24/09 02:06 AM

My latches are being restored by Dynamic Renovation along with most of my suspension hardware (nuts/bolts).

I'm sure by soaking them overnight, any coatings are gone. Look at the previos pic. with the door pulls and lock knob rods. A side by side comparison of the door pulls isn't the greatest, but it did remove the plating.

If you soaked for ... say...20-30 minutes, you'd probably be OK. I have a shifter mechanism thats in with my parts now (in for about 3 hours) and it is just now starting to become clean.

My plan is to clean alot of these parts up and then send them off to a plater. Mainly the stuff that gets seen.

Attached picture 5114291-suspension_a12019.jpg

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/25/09 01:46 AM

overnight soak..

Attached picture 5116630-suspension_a12027.jpg

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/25/09 01:51 AM

Quote:

overnight soak..

Dang !!! That's impressive.. Can you notice if any of the phosphate plating has been removed.. Looks good enough to clear and go.....

T

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/25/09 02:27 AM

It is pretty amazing. I don't think I've found hardly any products that do exactly what they claim, but this stuff words. Both brands work really well.

I had some parts soak and had the original phosphate bolts in them and I'm pretty sure its been removed. They soaked overnight.

Some of what I have probably shouldn't have been soaked overnight, but, its too late now.

Here is a good example. I soaked one overnight and it removed the plating, I soaked the other for a few hours and it cleaned up really nice, but didn't remove the plating.

Some things you need to make the judgment call as to how clean you really want it.

The spray Rust Veto dries within 15 minutes. You can't even tell its on there. I think it will be good on newly plated parts as well.

Attached picture 5116747-suspension_a12026.jpg
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/26/09 06:03 AM

Those parts look Good.
I guess I may go that route when I start my resto.
Thanks for the info and photos.
David

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/26/09 11:52 AM

I'll still have these parts plated. The are truely bare metal now and have no protective coating like the original zinc, cad, etc...

But it may be a bit cheaper to have them ready before I send them off.
Posted By: Gavin

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/26/09 12:15 PM

Quote:

But it may be a bit cheaper to have them ready before I send them off.

I've had a lot of stuff plated, in my experience you need to remove any paint, and I'd recommend removing any serious rust, but otherwise existing plating and surface rust will be removed as part of the process. I don't think you save any money doing a lot of prep because they have to really clean it with chemicals to prepare the surface for plating which deals with the rust etc.

Only other reason I found to prepare beforehand is if you want to change the finish of the part. Plating will not cover or change any surface characteristics. Mostly the original metal finish is what you want, but occasionally if a part has been marked I might glass bead it to get a uniform finish....but after plating it looks like a glass beaded part that has been plated !!

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 04/03/09 02:44 AM

side by side of my window crank mechanisms and channels...

Attached picture 5138797-suspension_a12046.jpg

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 04/03/09 01:14 PM

Quote:

side by side of my window crank mechanisms and channels...

Chris, how long did you leave the mechanism in solution? I've bought 2 gallons of the Evapo-Rust and have used it on some componets. I have all my window regulators out of the car as well...
Posted By: yellow sixpack

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 04/03/09 01:28 PM

powdercoated

Attached picture 5139417-IMG_1944.JPG
Posted By: runningman

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 04/03/09 08:01 PM

Quote:

powdercoated

What powder did you use on the LCA?

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 04/03/09 10:43 PM

T

I 1st used oven cleaner on them to get the grease/oil off. Which made a big difference from the start. All I did was let the oven cleaner set for a few minutes, then scrub with a plastic brush I got from harbor freight. Then I used Mean Grean on top of that, scrubbed some more, then hosed off real good with water.

Right afterwards, I soaked them in the evapo-rust (I have 4 gallons of Saferestremover) and let it set for about 20-30 minutes tops. I scrubbed the bolts, springs and hard to reach areas with another plastic bristle brush. Washed off, then coated with Rust-Veto.

The Rust Veto dried in 15 minutes. Done....

Attached picture 5140586-suspension_a12045.jpg
Posted By: yellow sixpack

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 04/04/09 02:41 AM

Matte gold. Make sure you tell them no shine.

Attached picture 5141131-IMG_1940.JPG

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 04/04/09 09:23 AM

Quote:

T

... Washed off, then coated with Rust-Veto.

Where did you get your Rust Veto? Is it an aerosol?

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 04/04/09 12:27 PM

I ordered it from a company called Shafco. You'll have to order a case, which is about 75 bucks.

The good thing is, you can mix and match on thier products.

Weathershed, is "cosmoline" in a can. Which is what I used on my LCA's

Rust Veto, is a preservitive that dries (similar to MP50. Like a short term mold preservitive.

Cosmoline, is actually a penetrating oil.

Its a bit confusing, but if you go to their website, it explains it all. Check out the picture on this thread of the cans I have.

You could buy a can off ebay for about $10 with shipping. The Rust-Veto goes a long way.
Posted By: runningman

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 04/04/09 03:53 PM

Thanks that looks good, I have a buddy that does powdercoating so I will have to find the correct powder for him to use.
Posted By: RJS

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 04/04/09 04:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

overnight soak..

Dang !!! That's impressive.. Can you notice if any of the phosphate plating has been removed.. Looks good enough to clear and go.....

T

From my experience and my buddy that's a painter, bare metal parts that are cleared especially from a spray can will rust from inside out.

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 04/04/09 06:33 PM

Quote:

From my experience and my buddy that's a painter, bare metal parts that are cleared especially from a spray can will rust from inside out.

I have to agree, Ive done my share of home resto work and most everything cleared from a spray can will rust again. Im not sure of its the prep or the clear itself. I will say I have not used the Evap-O-rust or the Rust veto.

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 04/04/09 07:12 PM

I hope I don't have any issues, but I didn't "clear" anything.

Its a rust protectant, not a clear coat. We've used very similar stuff in the molding industry for protecting them when not in use for years. Its designed to be taken off before use or can be resprayed as needed.

Back of Rust Veto can says:

"Provides long term protection for numerous types of machines and equipment in storage. Precision parts, dies, hardware, power equipment in storage, farm equipment, firearms, sporting goods, auto parts, etc."

Its a wax base product.

Attached picture 5142218-suspension_a12050.jpg
Posted By: mopargem

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/30/10 02:21 AM

Just got some Evap-o-rust, can it be reused and poured back into the jug with unused product? Not much in the way of directions came with it. Thanks!
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/30/10 02:51 AM

I have some, but haven't tried it out yet. I've read about it a bit though, and from what I remember... Yes, it can be used again. It works with enzymes. It can be reused over and over but will work more slowly each time. Eventually you'll need to get new. Store it in a sealed container because open air storage will make it less effective. Do Not pour the used portion back in with the new portion or the rust residue floating around in the used stuff will use up some of the enzymes in the new stuff, which would be wasteful.

Tav
Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/30/10 01:54 PM

This a really good thread.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Suspension Resto progress and experimentation..... - 03/30/10 04:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

T

... Washed off, then coated with Rust-Veto.

Where did you get your Rust Veto? Is it an aerosol?

definitly added to my favorites

http://www.schafco.com/cosmoline.asp
© 2024 Moparts Forums