Moparts

Tan vinyl top Dart GTS!

Posted By: Rhinodart

Tan vinyl top Dart GTS! - 09/23/19 04:15 PM

My buddy had me decode his fender tag, 1969 Dart GTS 383 4-speed, factory F5 green car with green interior, and TAN VINYL TOP! Has the V08 code which is a waiver for paint, trim, or vinyl top because it is not a recommended option! Never seen one before. He wants to restore it with a white top, interior, and stripe. It would be a shame to not put if back to original, but it is his car. He would definitely be the only one with that combo out there though! eek

Attached picture Lou Bidgens fender tag.jpg

Re: Tan vinyl top Dart GTS! - 09/23/19 04:18 PM

Disc brakes, 3-speed variable wipers, chrome remote mirror, someone had to order the car for sure! I don't know if he has the broadcast sheet, I will find out.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Tan vinyl top Dart GTS! - 09/23/19 07:08 PM

Green & tan go so well together. :-)

I have seen a few V08 cars that were Chrysler orders for Y16 - Sales Bank cars, so some of those folks would mix things up a bit at times.
Posted By: davesmopars

Re: Tan vinyl top Dart GTS! - 09/23/19 10:25 PM

Very cool. He should do it original.

I had a 69 barracuda 383 4 speed
Green car with D6J interior with console.
Posted By: Tempest

Re: Tan vinyl top Dart GTS! - 09/24/19 12:29 AM

Ditto!
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Tan vinyl top Dart GTS! - 09/24/19 12:51 AM

It's a no-brainer how the car should be rebuilt.

Not sure why the combo wasn't recommended.

Attached picture f3:V1T_A12ROADRUNNER.jpg
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Tan vinyl top Dart GTS! - 09/24/19 01:04 AM

It should have been.

But for whatever reason, someone felt it should match the tan interior - http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1969/69_Dodge_Vinyl_tops.jpg

Tan & green go great together, plenty of British cars have proved that.

Re: Tan vinyl top Dart GTS! - 09/24/19 02:48 AM

You can see why it was a stripe delete car, what color stripe would they have used? The Roadrunner shown above has the tan interior, but this one is green, you would think it would have been tan also as I have had plenty of F5 69 Dart Swingers with tan interiors. shruggy
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Tan vinyl top Dart GTS! - 09/25/19 05:35 AM

White and black match everything, so any stripe color would do.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Tan vinyl top Dart GTS! - 09/25/19 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
My buddy had me decode his fender tag, 1969 Dart GTS 383 4-speed, factory F5 green car with green interior, and TAN VINYL TOP! Has the V08 code which is a waiver for paint, trim, or vinyl top because it is not a recommended option! Never seen one before. He wants to restore it with a white top, interior, and stripe. It would be a shame to not put if back to original, but it is his car. He would definitely be the only one with that combo out there though! eek

Wow, that sure is odd but he should stick with tan. As far as a stripe, I can see the visual being thrown off with the addition of third color. No matter it’s nice to see another factory bigblock restored. Is the car in the registry?

Re: Tan vinyl top Dart GTS! - 09/25/19 04:43 PM

Not is the registry yet. I had his original engine for over 20 years and just got it back to him a couple of weeks ago.
Posted By: BlueRacer69

Re: Tan vinyl top Dart GTS! - 09/25/19 06:19 PM

I think with that color combo he should think about going stripe delete. But if he has to have a stripe, white would be my first chose.
Posted By: A12

Re: Tan vinyl top Dart GTS! - 09/26/19 02:23 AM

Saw this about 10 years ago at a Cleveland area firefighter's benefit cruise and was checking out the hood locks. The owner was nearby watching me and wondering why I was taking photos of the hood locks, thought they were cool I told him. I then said I'd never seen this color/vinyl roof/interior combination and he laughed and told me the story. He had his parents go to the local Plymouth dealer back in the spring of '69 while in the final months of duty in Vietnam in the army. Wrote a letter to his parents with this color combo and all of the options he wanted and sent them the standard down payment money that the dealer usually asked for. The parents wrote back that the dealer would NOT order it without tripling (3X) the standard down payment for fear the dealer would get stuck with it when he got home and saw it and wouldn't want it. So he sent the extra money to cover the triple down payment and has owned and driven it ever since. up

Attached picture DSC09200cx.jpg
Attached picture DSC09198cx.jpg
Attached picture DSC09197cx.jpg
Posted By: rarefish

Re: Tan vinyl top Dart GTS! - 09/26/19 07:26 PM

Here is another vote to restore it original... It sure would draw lots of attention.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: Tan vinyl top Dart GTS! - 09/27/19 03:04 AM

Thanks for sharing the RR story MikeR and I agree restore the Dart as original
© 2024 Moparts Forums