Moparts

Installing newly painted steel wheels

Posted By: moparphillie

Installing newly painted steel wheels - 03/20/09 02:14 PM

I am ready to install my newly painted steel wheels on my 1965 Belvedere I. I am concerned that installing and torquing the new lug nuts in place will crack or " fracture " the paint around the ( 5 ) stud openings in each wheel. I am not going to run dog dish hub caps, so the center of each wheel and the lug nuts will be in plain view. Has anyone got any tips on how to do prepare the wheels so that the new paint is not damaged around the lug nuts, once installed ?

Thanks MOPARTS...
Posted By: burdar

Re: Installing newly painted steel wheels - 03/20/09 02:17 PM

How long has it been since the wheels were painted?

Re: Installing newly painted steel wheels - 03/20/09 02:19 PM

It has been quite a while since August, 2008.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Installing newly painted steel wheels - 03/20/09 02:29 PM

As long as the wheels were prepped good enough before the paint went on I would think you should be fine. The paint is going to scratch where the nut contacts the wheel but that is just to be expected. You shouldn't have paint "flaking" off if the wheels were painted correctly.
Posted By: ONEBADBIRD

Re: Installing newly painted steel wheels - 03/21/09 02:25 AM

I never had any trouble with my paint cracking or flaking off. Now I don't know what kind of paint you used, or how you applied it. With mine I sandblasted them then used rattle can etch primer and gloss back paint right after sandblasting and have been holding up well for about 3 years now. Like stated before the area where the lugnuts go gets rubbed of but thats to be expected. Jay
Posted By: topside

Re: Installing newly painted steel wheels - 03/21/09 02:29 AM

The paint will likely peel off under the lugnut taper. Watch how deeply the socket goes over the nut, and fill the socket accordingly if it's going to scratch the wheel. Not a bad idea to wrap something around the outside of the socket, but I have moments of paranoia like that...
Posted By: Michael

Re: Installing newly painted steel wheels - 03/21/09 03:29 AM

Mine's OK

Re: Installing newly painted steel wheels - 03/21/09 03:43 AM

The wheels were all sandblasted, primed and painted with PPG Acrylic Enamel so as to match the exterior paint on the car. The body shop that did the paint work laid the paint on pretty thick in the center portion of the wheel and I am concerned about having the paint crack, flake or fracture on the exposed portion of the wheel near the point where the lug nuts make contact with the tapered part of the wheels. I appreciate all comments, but I still am at a loss as to whether I can sand, scuff or do anything to the tapered portion of the wheels where the lug nuts will come in contact to prevent any paint damage on the outer, adjacent portion to the wheel's taper.

Thanks again MOPARTS...
© 2024 Moparts Forums