Moparts

Anyone ever try this cosmoline on lower control arms??

Posted By: mymcodebee

Anyone ever try this cosmoline on lower control arms?? - 04/25/19 05:10 PM

I had a can from Eastwood’s years but it’s gone now. Anyone try this?? Wondering if color is correct?

Attached picture 22FBBAD7-5F80-46D7-84A4-A906EB39B803.png
Posted By: Little Detroit

Re: Anyone ever try this cosmoline on lower control arms?? - 04/25/19 10:15 PM

its not a paint , its a coating to keep bare metal and machined parts "temporally " rust free . great for spraying on machined surfaces such as blocks, cylinder heads . the Military uses it for packing fire arms and other things when being shipped overseas to protect from saltwater corrosion.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Anyone ever try this cosmoline on lower control arms?? - 04/25/19 10:43 PM

I don't know about 'correct', but it looks very close to me. I used it on my 71 GTX that got OE Certified. But as mentioned, it is not a paint. It takes a day or two to dry and ends up kinda waxy on the surface and will not wear well. But if you want it to look correct, that is the price you pay.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Anyone ever try this cosmoline on lower control arms?? - 04/25/19 11:55 PM

That is manufactured by the same company that makes the original Cosmoline, they sell variations of the same stuff in various containers. I used a 5-gallon bucket of it (expensive) to dip parts in as they were at the factory. The spray is likely a thinned version of the same stuff but will likely yield a different look if sprayed on. Won't hurt to try.

Attached picture cosmolineA.jpg
Attached picture Cosmoline 1.jpg
Attached picture Cosmoline.jpg
Posted By: cudaize

Re: Anyone ever try this cosmoline on lower control arms?? - 04/26/19 12:06 AM

The A2 is a clear. I have been using this to preserve many of the bare metal parts on my car. The spray can version is really thin, smells to be thinned with xylene, I have talked to some folks that buy it in quarts/gallons and thin it with mineral spirits and shoot out of a cleaning solution sprayer like a fantastik bottle.

Re: Anyone ever try this cosmoline on lower control arms?? - 04/26/19 12:39 AM

Excellent. May give it a try. The Eastwood stuff was also s cosmoline type material that never really dried.
Just trying to save buying a 5 gallon pail which by far looks the best!
Thanks guys!
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Anyone ever try this cosmoline on lower control arms?? - 04/26/19 01:15 AM

When I did mine (it's been 20 years ago), it took several coats to get the look right. And it took a day or two for each coat to dry. But in the end, it looked good. twocents
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Anyone ever try this cosmoline on lower control arms?? - 04/26/19 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by mymcodebee
Excellent. May give it a try. The Eastwood stuff was also s cosmoline type material that never really dried.
Just trying to save buying a 5 gallon pail which by far looks the best!
Thanks guys!

Cosmoline never really dries. It is a coating not a paint. I shoot matte clear over it after it cures to keep it from being sticky.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Anyone ever try this cosmoline on lower control arms?? - 04/26/19 02:47 PM

I had bought the smaller quantity of Cosmoline to do my lower control arms. First I blasted them clean, and then used RPM on them, THEN the cosmoline, hoping that when the cosmoline came off, no rust would appear . . . and here it is about 5k miles later . . .

Attached picture Calgary-20120722-00222.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1470.JPG
Posted By: 76orangewagon

Re: Anyone ever try this cosmoline on lower control arms?? - 04/27/19 12:00 PM

I used Krylon Battery protector, not a Cosmoline but I was happy with the results after several coats, I hung them and sprayed heavy to purposely get the runs of a dipped part. Sorry...its not what you were asking about in your original post, but just wanted to share another possible option.

Attached picture 004 (1024x768).jpg
Attached picture 011 (768x1024).jpg
Attached picture 006 (1024x768).jpg
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: Anyone ever try this cosmoline on lower control arms?? - 04/27/19 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by 76orangewagon
I used Krylon Battery protector, not a Cosmoline but I was happy with the results after several coats, I hung them and sprayed heavy to purposely get the runs of a dipped part. Sorry...its not what you were asking about in your original post, but just wanted to share another possible option.

I used this and I think it worked very well twocents

Re: Anyone ever try this cosmoline on lower control arms?? - 04/28/19 12:23 AM

I almost think the stuff I got from Eastwood’s was a battery type product! I used it on many cars. I forgot thats what it was till you guys just mentioned that!
© 2024 Moparts Forums