Moparts

challenger convertible parts advice

Posted By: mgoblue9798

challenger convertible parts advice - 03/21/19 11:00 PM

I have a 71 Challenger convertible that I am finally able to start working on.
Has anyone used AMD quarter skins and if so are they decent quality? Can a coupe trunk floor and outer wheelhouses be made to work on the convertible? I know in general there is a lot of work to make a/m fit, but looking for some advice specific to these parts on a convertible. This is a driver car and will never be anything more than that.
Posted By: Gavin

Re: challenger convertible parts advice - 03/22/19 11:55 AM

The trunk floor is the same so no issue there. Yes the coupe outer wheelhouses can be adapted. AMD quarter skins were not available when mine was done but all that I've read has a clear consensus that they are nice pieces (I'm talking about the hardtop quarters because unless something changed they don't offer vert quarters). If you need the whole quarter then you'll either have to modify or there was someone doing that and selling them.....
Posted By: Little Detroit

Re: challenger convertible parts advice - 03/22/19 12:03 PM

the trunk floor you can make work with a little fab work, challenger trunk floor has fuel neck for the gas tank on right side and cuda from the rear, if you carefully cut the opening in the trunk floor from each floor and switch to the one you need weld it in and your done,as for the wheel houses the outside wheelhouses are different from between cuda and challenger , not to mention you have to remove the top half of the mated wheelhouses and either fabricate or reuse the top of your original wheelhouses.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: challenger convertible parts advice - 03/22/19 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by mgoblue9798
Has anyone used AMD quarter skins and if so are they decent quality? Can a coupe trunk floor and outer wheelhouses be made to work on the convertible? I know in general there is a lot of work to make a/m fit, but looking for some advice specific to these parts on a convertible. This is a driver car and will never be anything more than that.

Talk to Moparts member convertcuda, Ken makes the modified E body qtrs for AMD, along with a host of other components....
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: challenger convertible parts advice - 03/22/19 05:05 PM

Yes Ken is the only one doing these conversions that I know of. Which means "Ain't Cheap"!
I am wrapping up a 3 year project rebuilding a 70 Hemi Cuda 4 speed Convertible tribute. I have step by step articles that would help you or anyone else attempting a project like this. Go to:
www.moparconnectionmagazine.com/category/projects/comeback-cuda/

Re: challenger convertible parts advice - 03/22/19 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by MOPARMIKE69
Yes Ken is the only one doing these conversions that I know of. Which means "Ain't Cheap"!

There's only one way to do these cars, and that's correctly, regardless of the cost...IMHO smile

Re: challenger convertible parts advice - 03/22/19 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gavin
The trunk floor is the same so no issue there. Yes the coupe outer wheelhouses can be adapted. AMD quarter skins were not available when mine was done but all that I've read has a clear consensus that they are nice pieces (I'm talking about the hardtop quarters because unless something changed they don't offer vert quarters). If you need the whole quarter then you'll either have to modify or there was someone doing that and selling them.....

AMD is now listing full convertible quarters for sale.

Re: challenger convertible parts advice - 03/22/19 10:06 PM

Thanks. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do this weekend.

Re: challenger convertible parts advice - 03/22/19 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by DAYCLONA

Talk to Moparts member convertcuda, Ken makes the modified E body qtrs for AMD, along with a host of other components....

Any idea how to get in touch? I tried to PM but got a msg he is over his limit for his inbox.

Re: challenger convertible parts advice - 03/23/19 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by DAYCLONA

Any idea how to get in touch? I tried to PM but got a msg he is over his limit for his inbox.

hemis3@yahoo.com

You can either buy the AMD qtrs thru Ken or AMD, as he is AMD's source for the E body qtrs, basically AMD hardtop qtrs that he modifies into convertible qtrs for them...
Posted By: Convertcuda

Re: challenger convertible parts advice - 03/23/19 12:06 PM

Thanks folks! I am ready to help if you need any. convertcuda@gmail.com

Thanks Ken 715-432-5080
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: challenger convertible parts advice - 03/25/19 05:42 PM

There were two different trunk floors put into a 1971 Challenger during the 1971 production year. The floor changes at the end of May 1971 and really is a 1972 trunk floor. The change is for shock assess holes in the floor. Early on top, late facing rear of trunk. There are still original late trunk floors for a Challengers for sale at most Chrysler show, Carlisle or the Nationals. AMD did sell both early and late Challenger trunk floors. You would have to look it up to see if they still do.
© 2024 Moparts Forums