Moparts

Shark tooth repair Q

Posted By: Wirenut

Shark tooth repair Q - 03/20/19 12:52 AM

Hi All
Read a post / article here about mixing up a potion of grill material and acetate I believe to make a paste to repair / glue these grills.I have a grill that is cracked that I would like to put in a race car so not show quality .
Question is ... can I use a different style grill for the donor shavings or is there another suitable substitute ? Just looking to stop the cracks from spreading .
Thanks
Posted By: Neil

Re: Shark tooth repair Q - 03/20/19 01:06 AM

Yes there is a certain type o plastic that needs to be used, but I can't recall the name right now.

Also, stop drill the cracks with a small drill bit before doing the repair work.
Posted By: Wirenut

Re: Shark tooth repair Q - 03/20/19 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Neil
Yes there is a certain type o plastic that needs to be used, but I can't recall the name right now.

Also, stop drill the cracks with a small drill bit before doing the repair work.

Thanks I was thinking the same thing
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Shark tooth repair Q - 03/20/19 01:23 AM

No donor grille plastic needed. With time, patience & some creativity missing bits can be made from scratch.

More details with photos at http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=4298.0
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Shark tooth repair Q - 03/20/19 02:42 AM

Yes you can use another plastic grille but you need to determine that is the same TYPE of plastic. Most grills are made of ABS or another styrene-based resin, any of which will work fine. You can also by sticks of ABS plastic used for plastic welding. To determine that a plastic is ABS you can do a simple burn test to help identify it. When you light a piece of plastic on fire it will either stay burning like a candle, or self extinguishes when the flame (Bic lighter, match, etc.) is removed from the plastic. You will also notice variables in the smell, the color of the flame, and the color of the smoke. ABS plastic will easily catch fire and will remain burning when the flame is pulled away. Read more here: Plastic Burn test ID

Another old Moparts thread on the subject Plastic repair
Posted By: racerlall

Re: Shark tooth repair Q - 04/01/19 03:41 AM

have seen old arm rest baces cut up and used to fix 71 cuda grill using a sorting iron like a tig welder of sorts
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Shark tooth repair Q - 04/01/19 03:54 AM

Yes, most hard plastic armrest bases are ABS plastic.
© 2024 Moparts Forums