Moparts

How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 bee?

Posted By: gtsuperbee

How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 bee? - 03/16/09 03:09 AM

How do you know if the piece between the grills of a 70 super bee should be chrome or body color? Is it on the buildsheet? Was it by color? I know the chrome center is a "sleeve" that fits over the painted center piece. I just don't know when to use it. THX in advance. And just for the record, this is the little wedge piece that connects the 2 front bumper loops.
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 bee? - 03/16/09 03:14 AM

Gary
I'm pretty sure that the Model denotes what filler the car got. A bee would be body color as it's a Med price option? I thought that the color was over the chrome though? My FC7 car had the chrome under the FC7. My FJ5 car has no chrome.
KID
Posted By: gtsuperbee

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 bee? - 03/16/09 03:31 AM

You could be right steve. I don't remember which one was on top to be honest.
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 b - 03/16/09 12:25 PM

Color should be OVER the chrome
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 b - 03/16/09 06:54 PM

Quote:

Color should be OVER the chrome

The chrome part is similar in thickness to the bumper loops and bolts between them... effectively part of the collective "bumper". The painted part is thin sheet metal overlay that attaches with two rivets at the bottom.

I don't know the answer to your question. But my '70 Bee is a Medium price class and it has the overlay. It's actually an added part, so it's not like it is a cost saving feature.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 b - 03/16/09 08:47 PM

What Steve said.

The colored pce is a sheet metal cover which is rivited to the chrome center bumper.

We had a LENGTHY post on this a couple years back and the consensus was.....there WAS no concensus. None of us could figure out any sort of pattern on the chrome vs. painted. We tried build dates, plants, models, optional with valance moulding or bumperette packages.......

If anyone out there has any info, or even a theory, lets hear it!

Dave
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 b - 03/16/09 11:04 PM

I know the answer!

Sedans and wagons got the chrome, and 2-doors got the color.

I can't be 100% sure about all the 2-doors as the article in Collectible Automobile said most, but I feel secure in suggesting the Bee should be colored.
Posted By: Quikshft

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 bee? - 03/17/09 04:34 AM

Color looks better on a Bee so that is what mine will have.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 b - 03/17/09 03:22 PM

Quote:

I know the answer!

Sedans and wagons got the chrome, and 2-doors got the color.

I can't be 100% sure about all the 2-doors as the article in Collectible Automobile said most, but I feel secure in suggesting the Bee should be colored.

That's as good an answer as any. Certainly the color IS correct for at least some whereas I could find no factory pics or original road tests showing the chrome center. I think where it gets confusing is that so many have been changed using parts (probably from other models) from other cars.

A quick survey on Andy440's site shows 52 Super Bees with the colored center and 13 without (chrome showing). Included in the 52 are two factory pictures.

I think it's safe to say that colored centers are definitely correct for a Super Bee, but I have been unable (so far) to say that NONE came chrome.

Dave
Posted By: fastback383

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 b - 03/17/09 11:51 PM

We've had this car since the mid 80's and it's a original 440 6 pak 4 speed Bee. It's chrome.

Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 b - 03/18/09 04:52 AM

Attached picture 5101323-70coronetgrilleappliquesmall.jpg
Posted By: big-block-dave

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 b - 03/18/09 05:44 AM

Painted cover over chrome, got one if you need to buy one or other '70 Bee stuff. Sold my 6pak, 4psd, super trak pac car, don't need spare parts.
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 b - 03/19/09 02:10 AM

Quote:

100% correct
Posted By: WINGCARS_6970

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 b - 03/19/09 02:21 AM

I have owned a few 70-s Super Bee RT 500 and a Coronet station wagon.My wagon has just chrome in the center .On that center cover thats riveted .As my 500 and Super Bee and RT did have the cover painted as the car.I got a few of the centers sitting in a box with the cover never removed .Wonder why Chrysler would have spent the $ and then cover up the chrome
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 b - 03/19/09 02:28 AM

I've owend 5 1970 coronets, 2 Bee's, 1 R/T , and 2 500's and none had a chrome center

yet , there were several 1970 coronets around here in the mid 80's and I remember seeing a few with chrome centers though
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 b - 03/19/09 03:21 AM

Barry, I don't know what to say as the info I posted came from one of the designers.
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: How do you know if the grill center is chrome, 70 b - 03/19/09 06:01 AM

My 70 superbee is body colored.
I am the 3rd owner of it and it is a 50,000 mile car. only 1 repaint on it but original owner said the car is like it left the factory.
Just my
David
© 2024 Moparts Forums