Moparts

Dash/ trim paint flattening agent

Posted By: 71_dramaqueen

Dash/ trim paint flattening agent - 02/12/19 06:31 AM

I have the metal dash to paint on a 71 challenger. I would like it to be close to the original but i can't find any cross reference to the book listed interior paint code of AB61DX9. It was not originally a black interior so i have no physical reference either.
My shop just wants to use ppg hot rod black with a flattening agent in the clear but I have no idea what percentage to add.

I'm at the same impasse for the black on the grille . The repo came unpainted. I have seen 20% flattening agent suggested for this on another post.

Thoughts?
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Dash/ trim paint flattening agent - 02/12/19 06:56 AM

OK I can help you out.

First off the Chrysler number means nothing to anyone. You need to use the Ditzler number - 9388

This at PPG will lead you to PPG 9324

However you can't buy that in this State!!! Not for the past 40 years.

So you have two ways to go from here. I think Instrument Specialties still has ORIGINAL formula SUEDE paint but they don't have much left.

The other choice is an out of State PPG dealer. I use BAP in Lemoyne, PA - buy when I go top Carlisle. Don't know if they can ship to CA.
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Dash/ trim paint flattening agent - 02/13/19 07:41 PM

I had my 1970 Duster dash frame powder coated with a fine grain suede finish that was an exact match to the original texture and color. I'm sure that the cost of blasting and powder coating was less than buying a quart of the original paint.

Attached picture PICT2069_fixed[1].jpg
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: Dash/ trim paint flattening agent - 02/13/19 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By FJR doc
I had my 1970 Duster dash frame powder coated with a fine grain suede finish that was an exact match to the original texture and color. I'm sure that the cost of blasting and powder coating was less than buying a quart of the original paint.

$199 a pint.... pint was plenty
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Dash/ trim paint flattening agent - 02/13/19 08:08 PM

My dash blasting and powder coating cost me $68 in 2013
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: Dash/ trim paint flattening agent - 02/13/19 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By FJR doc
My dash blasting and powder coating cost me $68 in 2013

nice! cheap
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Dash/ trim paint flattening agent - 02/14/19 01:49 AM

If you are going for any semblance of originality, base coat, clear coat will never look the same as the old single stage.

You really need to find a single stage paint. Or the powder coating sounds interesting.

Posted By: Gavin

Re: Dash/ trim paint flattening agent - 02/14/19 02:47 PM

I powder coated my '71 Challenger dash (lower dash on Challenger)- cheap, looks great, and matched original finish really well.......
© 2024 Moparts Forums