Moparts

Protection for high polished aluminum grill

Posted By: Hemi ragtop

Protection for high polished aluminum grill - 02/03/19 03:40 PM

I have spent the winter restoring a second grill for my 66’ Coronet.
This grill duplicates the black paint in the center ala “500”. The large outer edges are polished to chrome standards. What to use to protect the polished areas from oxidation/fading?
Thanks
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Protection for high polished aluminum grill - 02/03/19 06:13 PM

If you've polished away the factory anodizing from the aluminum you need to send it out for re-anodizing. Otherwise, it will continually dull with oxidation and will require frequent polishing.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Protection for high polished aluminum grill - 02/03/19 06:16 PM

Whatever you use,eventually you will have to do it over unless you never drive. I've been there with this,only permanent is to re anodize.

Attached picture Picture 109.jpg
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Protection for high polished aluminum grill - 02/03/19 06:20 PM

anodizing is the only solution.
Posted By: CudaChick1968

Re: Protection for high polished aluminum grill - 02/18/19 09:33 PM

Another option than anodizing is to spray the polished portions of the grille with a clear ceramic coating. I don't do a ton of polishing and buffing here but when I do, I use MC-160 Cerakote (NICindusries.com) to seal, protect and keep it from oxidizing. Over the last couple of years it has completely replaced the clear powder coating I used to use on my HP273 Commando valve cover restorations and other polished aluminum parts. The site won't let me add any photos here (grrrrr) but there are tons on my website http://PhoenixSpecialtyCoatings.com, FaceBook and Instagram @cudachick1968.
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Protection for high polished aluminum grill - 02/19/19 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By CudaChick1968
Another option than anodizing is to spray the polished portions of the grille with a clear ceramic coating. I don't do a ton of polishing and buffing here but when I do, I use MC-160 Cerakote (NICindusries.com) to seal, protect and keep it from oxidizing. Over the last couple of years it has completely replaced the clear powder coating I used to use on my HP273 Commando valve cover restorations and other polished aluminum parts. The site won't let me add any photos here (grrrrr) but there are tons on my website http://PhoenixSpecialtyCoatings.com, FaceBook and Instagram @cudachick1968.

Great looking work!

Re: Protection for high polished aluminum grill - 02/19/19 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By pushbutton

Great looking work!

Thank you darlin! I LOVE my job :-)
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Protection for high polished aluminum grill - 02/20/19 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By pushbutton

Great looking work!

Thank you darlin! I LOVE my job :-)

Nice work I remember you from the A-Body forum. I was gonna Polish a B&M Trans Pan and have you do some charcoal gray inside the ribs.

Re: Protection for high polished aluminum grill - 02/22/19 06:47 PM

I remember you! It looks like you've done an amazing job with the car!
© 2024 Moparts Forums