Moparts

"Close" is NOT good enuff!!

Posted By: gassy66

"Close" is NOT good enuff!! - 03/14/09 10:59 PM

Somebody out there,and I mean,"out there"suggested
that Eastwood's Argent paint was a close match for
original '67 GTX trunk panel finish,so I bought a Can..nice paint,came out of Can good,but way too
light,and flake far too small to even come close!
Don't some of You get it??"Close"only counts when it comes to hand grenades and horse shoes...
Posted By: mr_belvedere

Re: "Close" is NOT good enuff!! - 03/15/09 12:27 AM

Some get it, some dont care. Here is a pic (poor lighting) of original formula (w/one repro toner) med/dk textured argent.

Attached picture 5093188-DSC04227.JPG
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: "Close" is NOT good enuff!! - 03/15/09 12:49 AM

Quote:

original '67 GTX trunk panel finish,so I bought a Can..nice paint,came out of Can good,but way too
Don't some of You get it??"Close"only counts when it comes to hand grenades and horse shoes...

Whoa, chill out. I don't remember the exact post, but unless you use the EXACT material originally used, anything else is going to be 'close'. If 10 people used the Eastwood paint for the finish panel and 5 thought it was close enough and 5 though it wasn't, what is it really? The only thing for sure is that it isn't like the original.
Posted By: burdar

Re: "Close" is NOT good enuff!! - 03/15/09 01:25 AM

I'm in the same situation. My car doesn't have to be 100% correct but I'd like it to be close. I Googled argent paint and found a post on another site that gave the formula to mix your own argent. I e-mailed it to my bodyshop and they are going to try it out. I have no idea how it is going to work but I hope it is closer than the spray can stuff.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: "Close" is NOT good enuff!! - 03/15/09 01:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Whoa, chill out. I don't remember the exact post, but unless you use the EXACT material originally used, anything else is going to be 'close'. If 10 people used the Eastwood paint for the finish panel and 5 thought it was close enough and 5 though it wasn't, what is it really? The only thing for sure is that it isn't like the original.

Sometimes you can't expect to jump on the internet, type a few words, and all your problems are solved. Go to shows/cruises/clubs, talk to owners, and see what they used with your own two eyes.

Also you just registered in Jan. and only have 19 posts. Some people's advice you take and some people you don't. You have to put in you time to figure that out.
Posted By: Iceman01

Re: "Close" is NOT good enuff!! - 03/15/09 02:50 AM

Quote:

Sometimes you can't expect to jump on the internet, type a few words, and all your problems are solved. Go to shows/cruises/clubs, talk to owners, and see what they used with your own two eyes.

Also you just registered in Jan. and only have 19 posts. Some people's advice you take and some people you don't. You have to put in your time to figure that out.

What he said...
Posted By: AdamR

Re: "Close" is NOT good enuff!! - 03/15/09 12:41 PM

I bet it never looked the same twice from the factory either. So just because it didnt look like what was on your car originally doesnt mean it was real close to some one elses.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: "Close" is NOT good enuff!! - 03/15/09 03:31 PM

Quote:

I bet it never looked the same twice from the factory either. So just because it didnt look like what was on your car originally doesnt mean it was real close to some one elses.

SO true! Same with the organisol color and texture, the console woodgrain colors, etc.

When I reverse engineer something as simple as GASKET I have to decide to I make them as BAD as original so they'll LOOK like the crappy originals or take a little creative license and improve them but try to keep the look of the originals. It's tough.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: "Close" is NOT good enuff!! - 03/15/09 03:35 PM

Mike at AllTrim would probably be your best bet to get as close to perfect as possible. The man IS a perfectionist.

Also Metro Parts Co in GA
Posted By: 70runner

Re: "Close" is NOT good enuff!! - 03/15/09 06:22 PM

Quote:

Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: "Close" is NOT good enuff!! - 03/15/09 08:39 PM

Call Mike at B E & A. I'm sure he can help you out. He has it mastered.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: "Close" is NOT good enuff!! - 03/17/09 04:10 PM

Some guys want perfectly restored trailer queens.

Some like restomods

Some want nice drivers.

Some drive around in primered and rusty heaps.

See where I'm going with this?!
Posted By: MLR426

Re: "Close" is NOT good enuff!! - 03/17/09 04:39 PM

And when it comes to reproducing parts. Yeah right.

logan426
© 2024 Moparts Forums