Moparts

70 Cuda Drivers Remote Mirror

Posted By: AAR#2

70 Cuda Drivers Remote Mirror - 11/12/18 01:07 AM

My drivers side mirror could not be salvaged so I pulled it and will use it as a template to make a new one. Of course if any of you happen to know someone making these, fantastic, I'd love to hear.

My real question is about the cardboard'ish pressed black backer thats between the mirror and the aluminum plate. Whats it for and does anyone make these??

Whats everyone doing about this piece?

Thanks
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 70 Cuda Drivers Remote Mirror - 11/12/18 01:19 AM

Pressed backer?

Got a photo?
Posted By: Morty426

Re: 70 Cuda Drivers Remote Mirror - 11/12/18 03:55 AM

Your making your own mirror or did you leave out a number of words?
Posted By: ns1aar

Re: 70 Cuda Drivers Remote Mirror - 11/12/18 05:33 AM

https://www.internetglassnetwork.com/ssl/plymouth/barracuda.htm

Re: 70 Cuda Drivers Remote Mirror - 11/12/18 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By Morty426
Your making your own mirror or did you leave out a number of words?

Well I was going to use the removed mirror as a template and cut a new mirror, not actually make the mirror.

Re: 70 Cuda Drivers Remote Mirror - 11/12/18 02:40 PM

Thanks, that provides an option for the mirror itself, now all I need is the backer

Re: 70 Cuda Drivers Remote Mirror - 11/12/18 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By Alaskan_TA
Pressed backer?

Got a photo?

Here’s what’s left of the backer, this was bonded between the mirror and the aluminum mounting plate.

Also worth noting is that this sort of backer was NOT found on the passenger side

Attached picture Backing.jpg
Posted By: ct440rod

Re: 70 Cuda Drivers Remote Mirror - 11/13/18 08:17 PM

Almost looks like was was just back part of mirror that separated from mirror ?

Re: 70 Cuda Drivers Remote Mirror - 11/14/18 03:07 PM

So no-one else has ever replaced the drivers side mirror and experienced this formed black paper backer?

Perhaps most simply bond a new glass into the housing and call it a day?

What about the replacement remote side mirrors, does anyone know if they use a backer, use a replacement material, or simply bond it to the housing face?
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: 70 Cuda Drivers Remote Mirror - 11/14/18 05:21 PM

I think that is there to keep glass cushioned from the cables on the backside. That being said you could go to any Auto parts store and purchase a make your own gasket "mat" that thickness, cut it out and use that...

Re: 70 Cuda Drivers Remote Mirror - 11/14/18 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By QuickBpBp
I think that is there to keep glass cushioned from the cables on the back side.

I had that thought as well but the backer has 3 distinct holes cut at the location of the control cable crimped retainers, actually appearing as clearance for them rather than protection.

Agree that I’ll likely make something similar and install it . . . . Just because . . . Since I can’t come to any great reason why it was there in the first place.

Still curious if the replacement assemblies carry this item.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 70 Cuda Drivers Remote Mirror - 11/14/18 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By AAR#2
So no-one else has ever replaced the drivers side mirror and experienced this formed black paper backer?

I've completely disassembled many Mopar mirrors for restoration, esp 70 E body, over the decades and have never seen this item...

Re: 70 Cuda Drivers Remote Mirror - 11/15/18 02:36 PM

Wow, does that makes mine a 1 of 1 car grin

Well thanks for the feedback, I'll still plan to do a little more investigation and try to figure something out.
© 2024 Moparts Forums