Moparts

69 Charger factory primer color

Posted By: Kilrbee

69 Charger factory primer color - 11/06/18 05:15 PM

I have a 1969 Charger and am wondering what colors of primer did the Hamtramck plant use? I want to do the bottom of my car in the primer color and over spray the body color... any help would be appreciated
Posted By: fuelishnsilly

Re: 69 Charger factory primer color - 11/06/18 09:49 PM

should have been the dark gray dip tank primer I think.
Posted By: 69hemibeep

Re: 69 Charger factory primer color - 11/06/18 10:30 PM

What ever shade of gray showed up and poured into the tank
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 69 Charger factory primer color - 11/06/18 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By 69hemibeep
What ever shade of gray showed up and poured into the tank

iagree it varied based on what was in the vat when your car was actually "dipped", your car has the best evidence for what color was on your car - check firewall, floors & inside doors - some unmolested/uncovered areas should still remain scope
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 69 Charger factory primer color - 11/06/18 11:47 PM

The more cars dipped before the vat was topped up, the more debris in the tank also.

Actual shades vary widely due to circumstance.
Posted By: Neil

Re: 69 Charger factory primer color - 11/07/18 03:35 AM

The color you need can be found on the inner part of the doors behind the door panels, halfway up the firewall behind the heater box, etc.

Re: 69 Charger factory primer color - 11/07/18 02:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the input, unfortunately this car has been an ongoing restoration since 1992! any trace of original anything is long gone! I was just wanting to know what the original exposed primer color was for the Hamtramck plant cause its about to be painted and I want to do it correctly as the factory would have.
Posted By: steve70

Re: 69 Charger factory primer color - 11/07/18 02:58 PM

Here are a couple pictures of a Hamtramck built 70 Challenger

Attached picture TA disassembly 286small.jpg
Attached picture Interior Disassembly (148)small.jpg
Posted By: cbusters

Re: 69 Charger factory primer color - 11/07/18 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By Kilrbee
Thanks everyone for the input, unfortunately this car has been an ongoing restoration since 1992! any trace of original anything is long gone! I was just wanting to know what the original exposed primer color was for the Hamtramck plant cause its about to be painted and I want to do it correctly as the factory would have.

I had paint matched to the primer color and sprayed with flattener to be more durable.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: 69 Charger factory primer color - 11/07/18 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By cbusters
Originally Posted By Kilrbee

I had paint matched to the primer color and sprayed with flattener to be more durable.

I believe Resto Rick also sells a paint formulated this way.

Re: 69 Charger factory primer color - 11/08/18 02:50 PM

Thanks for the pics, I will do some checking for some correct color paint to use. beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums