Moparts

What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds?

Posted By: Dixie

What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 10/31/18 02:46 AM

I have a pair of '69 440 manifolds I'd like to treat so they don't rust, but want them to maintain an original appearance.

What is everyone using on their manifolds? How long has it been on there, and please post a pic!

Thanks!
Randy
Posted By: Neil

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 10/31/18 03:28 AM

If the insides are squeaky clean you can spray them with ceramic header coating. This will help make the paint on the outside hold up better.

My brother has done this to Buick and Oldsmobile cylinder head exhaust ports and it keeps the paint on the outside of the heads from flaking and discoloring, which is a very common problem on those engines.
Posted By: 340wedge

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 10/31/18 04:12 AM

I used POR 15 high temp paint, painted on with a foam brush over 6 years ago. They still look great.

Attached picture D16.jpg
Posted By: A12

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 10/31/18 04:58 AM

VHT Nu-cast engine paint
Posted By: blewbyu

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 10/31/18 01:46 PM

I've used Eastwood cast manifold paint and it holds up well.
Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 10/31/18 02:11 PM

On my Cuda,I had them Jet Coating cast iron color and then painted them engine color as they did originally and just let the paint burn/fade off.The burnt paint faded into the coating to look original but with no rust underneath
Posted By: parksr5

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 10/31/18 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By blewbyu
I've used Eastwood cast manifold paint and it holds up well.

I'd heard this in the past.

I had my manifold surfaces trued and then the manifolds were tanked. As soon as I got them back, I used Eastwood's paint on them. When I started to run them on the car, it wasn't a month and I already had some surface rust in spots. Not even a year later, they're pretty much fully rusted again.
Posted By: Siba

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 10/31/18 02:54 PM

Send them here
http://www.automotivemachine.net/

Had mine done and they still look like new - 3yrs later.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 10/31/18 03:48 PM

Did these plus the exhaust system on the wagon three years ago with VHT,still looks the same.

Attached picture MVC-067S.JPG
Attached picture Picture 231.jpg
Posted By: NANKET

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 10/31/18 07:14 PM

Nothing, just like the factory. For me I never like the look of the gray painted manifolds. This is not how cast iron should look.
Posted By: 70runner

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 10/31/18 09:16 PM

Slip Plate graphic lubricant. Good stuff, holds up well.

Attached picture Slip.jpg
Attached picture Eng.jpg
Posted By: cdp

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 11/01/18 01:17 AM

When 35 years ago, my brother and I painted my dads gravity wagon with slip plate. Still on it today!
Posted By: Dixie

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 11/03/18 05:27 PM

Great info guys, Thanks!
Posted By: topside

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 11/03/18 06:26 PM

I've had the Eastwood stuff - the stainless coating - on manifolds for 20 years. Sprayed over a dead-clean surface, even used a foam brush one time. Also used it on a couple sets of headers. It's always held up very well for me.
The Slip-Plate deal is interesting - thanks for sharing, never heard of it - maybe the hot tip for master cylinders, too.
Posted By: A12

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 11/03/18 09:02 PM

Thanks for the Slip-Plate tip, for sure going to find some and try it. up up

Found this on it: http://streettechmag.com/2015/05/04/how-to-restore-an-exhaust-manifold/

MikeR
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 11/04/18 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By topside
I've had the Eastwood stuff - the stainless coating - on manifolds for 20 years. Sprayed over a dead-clean surface, even used a foam brush one time. Also used it on a couple sets of headers. It's always held up very well for me.
The Slip-Plate deal is interesting - thanks for sharing, never heard of it - maybe the hot tip for master cylinders, too.
Eastwood pulled the rug out from underneath everyone that used the stainless coating..No warning just stopped offering it so if you need a touch-up you're committed to using a different color which means repainting the entire part..I'd like to try the slip-plate myself on an upcoming project thanks for the tip...
Posted By: 70runner

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 11/04/18 02:46 AM

Just to followup on my slip plate post, I used it on 2 cars. For my 70RR, the original eastwood stuff, about 2yrs old, was deteriorating so I used the slip plate over it about 3yrs ago. Still perfect and I drive the RR weekly. Used it on daughters 69 Charger (pic) rebuilt 440 6mos ago and still perfect.

Not sure how it would hold up to brake fluid (MC), but probably worth a try.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 11/04/18 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By A12
Thanks for the Slip-Plate tip, for sure going to find some and try it. up up

Found this on it: http://streettechmag.com/2015/05/04/how-to-restore-an-exhaust-manifold/

MikeR

Amazon,$8.35 12 oz can
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 11/05/18 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By Dixie
I have a pair of '69 440 manifolds I'd like to treat so they don't rust, but want them to maintain an original appearance.

What is everyone using on their manifolds? How long has it been on there, and please post a pic!

Thanks!
Randy

On a recommendation, I'm going to use Performance Coatings Inc.

Pics of the finished product at this link - https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforu...#post-910700394... Scroll down...
Posted By: R/T1968R/T

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 11/05/18 03:32 AM

Eastwood Stainless brush on, 7 years still nice...easy to touch up!
[img:center]https://imgbox.com/kntJX53L[/img]
Posted By: MoreParts

Re: What is everyone using to coat or paint exhaust manifolds? - 11/05/18 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By screamindriver
Originally Posted By topside
Eastwood pulled the rug out from underneath everyone that used the stainless coating..No warning just stopped offering it so if you need a touch-up you're committed to using a different color which means repainting the entire part..I'd like to try the slip-plate myself on an upcoming project thanks for the tip...

This is the stuff I used in the early '90s after a good sandblasting. It's still on and looking fantastic! It's sad to hear a cost effective and quality product like that pulled off the market.
© 2024 Moparts Forums