Moparts

B body console top, strange cut out (pics)

Posted By: Moparnut426

B body console top, strange cut out (pics) - 10/29/18 08:39 PM

Restoring the top plates for the console in the charger, the 4 speed plate has a very strange cut out in it. Looks very clean, and factory.

Attached picture console1.jpg
Attached picture console2.jpg
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: B body console top, strange cut out (pics) - 10/29/18 10:15 PM

69 or 70 B body? Hmmm.....never seen that before.

Re: B body console top, strange cut out (pics) - 10/29/18 10:37 PM

its one or the other I honestly dont know cause Dad converted this to a 4 speed, just swapped out top plate
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: B body console top, strange cut out (pics) - 10/29/18 10:44 PM

Looks like someone used an automatic woodgrain decal on a 4 spd plate and filled in the void with a little extra decal left over from the "surgery"...

Attached picture topplates.JPG
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: B body console top, strange cut out (pics) - 10/29/18 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Looks like someone used an automatic woodgrain decal on a 4 spd plate and filled in the void with a little extra decal left over from the "surgery"...

Nice detective work Dayclona!

Re: B body console top, strange cut out (pics) - 10/30/18 02:18 PM

whoever did it did a really good job because the aluminum under the decal is cut just as cleanly as the decal its stuck to.

Re: B body console top, strange cut out (pics) - 10/30/18 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By Moparnut426
whoever did it did a really good job because the aluminum under the decal is cut just as cleanly as the decal its stuck to.

Is it really cut/pieced?, or is it just an old parting line from Chrysler's vendor modifying an automatic base plate mold to cast 4 spd plates?

Re: B body console top, strange cut out (pics) - 10/30/18 10:17 PM

No, the aluminum under the decal is cut and its cut is just as clean as the decal. its even raised up a lil bit since the way they secured it only used 2 tabs and some adhesive of some kind. Im using a heat gun to remove the old decal, and the plate under it looks good, just going to be hard to get the new decal to lay even with that .020 gap.

Posted By: rth

Re: B body console top, strange cut out (pics) - 11/10/18 04:07 PM

Back in the day when I smoked, I cut out console plates to install rear armrest ashtrays. Looked factory.
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: B body console top, strange cut out (pics) - 11/10/18 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By Moparnut426
No, the aluminum under the decal is cut and its cut is just as clean as the decal. its even raised up a lil bit since the way they secured it only used 2 tabs and some adhesive of some kind. Im using a heat gun to remove the old decal, and the plate under it looks good, just going to be hard to get the new decal to lay even with that .020 gap.

Fill that gap with JB weld, sand it down smooth and no-one will ever know and it will last.
Posted By: blewbyu

Re: B body console top, strange cut out (pics) - 11/12/18 02:38 AM

Did I see something once about an auto on the column car with buckets with a console without a provision for auto or 4 speed?

Re: B body console top, strange cut out (pics) - 11/12/18 05:07 AM

Originally Posted By blewbyu
Did I see something once about an auto on the column car with buckets with a console without a provision for auto or 4 speed?

Attached picture shifterdeleteplatecharger.JPG
Attached picture shifterdeleteplate.JPG
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: B body console top, strange cut out (pics) - 11/12/18 05:24 AM

They did the same thing with the chrome ribbed style. Know a 66 coronet 500 convertible that was 3 on the tree bucket seats with console. It's a 4 speed top plate with a filler...
© 2024 Moparts Forums