Moparts

Door seals - use adhesive or not?

Posted By: DrCharles

Door seals - use adhesive or not? - 10/01/18 05:24 PM

'72 A-body hardtop door seal install... Do the plastic J-clips hold the seal on by themselves, or is a weatherstripping adhesive used and the clips are just there to locate the strip until the glue sticks?
shruggy
thanks.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: Door seals - use adhesive or not? - 10/01/18 06:39 PM

No glue

Re: Door seals - use adhesive or not? - 10/03/18 01:52 AM

Thanks! I have ordered a load of new clips. It seems that 46 year old nylon is uselessly brittle (and many were already broken in removal).

How about the roof rail seals? I think I'm going to get new ones - would they come with the appropriate attachment hardware?
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Door seals - use adhesive or not? - 10/03/18 07:08 PM

IIRC, Roof rail seals pop into the channel, but there are some patches of adhesive. I believe the factory service manual showed where to apply the adhesive.

Re: Door seals - use adhesive or not? - 10/07/18 05:09 AM

I now have doors with weatherstrip in place, windows that go up and down, and (I think) have located the roof rail seals. Also a pair of long trim pieces that conform to the roof shape - is this the channel you refer to?

The body has several small openings along the rail that look like they should accept either a screw or some type of clip (there's a round hole with an elongated small slot). Without an assembled car to study, it's a bit difficult to know what kind of fasteners I need.

I do have a 1970 Plymouth FSM left over from my first (and second) cars, both '70 Valiants, but not sure that's going to be useful for a '72?
© 2024 Moparts Forums