Moparts

1968 Engine Paint Code - Turquoise

Posted By: RoadRunner

1968 Engine Paint Code - Turquoise - 09/29/18 06:55 PM

Any one have a PPG Code got engine paint for 1968 383 engine? My good friend will mix me up some paint but his code book doesn’t have it. Plus I looked at a car he has that has an orange engine and he wants to make it right. Thanks
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: 1968 Engine Paint Code - Turquoise - 09/30/18 01:00 AM

I just buy Bill Hirsch paints, you can get quarts.

www.hirschauto.com
Posted By: 68-scatpack-rt

Re: 1968 Engine Paint Code - Turquoise - 09/30/18 02:37 PM

Call Frank Badalson.
He has the correct color and sheen and it comes in pints.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: 1968 Engine Paint Code - Turquoise - 09/30/18 07:09 PM

I could never find it... I've been using por-15 engine paint, covers great and color match is good too.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: 1968 Engine Paint Code - Turquoise - 10/01/18 04:15 PM

I was looking for the actual formula. If it were for just me, I'd buy it. But my friend needs it too and works at a PPG paint store. So he'll mix it. He is going to make some calls this morning. If not, I'll bring an old valve cover in to see if we can scan it.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 1968 Engine Paint Code - Turquoise - 10/01/18 06:45 PM

I don't believe there is an actual paint code available

all the people that sell paint have developed a formula based on "their" interpretation of what is correct
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 1968 Engine Paint Code - Turquoise - 10/01/18 08:01 PM

I agree with Dan, there are many formulations out there that the various sources have come up with, it's difficult/impossible to say who's is truly "correct", but in my experience there are some that are off by a mile as compared to original samples, and others that better match my original samples. So far Frank Badalson's has been the best match I've seen. The other thing to consider is that day to day, year to year, I guarantee you that the colors varied to at least some degree.

That aside, if you have a good sample of original paint you can take to your favorite local paint pro and have a pretty good match made yourself. I am actually doing this today using a couple samples I have.
© 2024 Moparts Forums