Moparts

Burnt fusible link - help

Posted By: MoparABE

Burnt fusible link - help - 09/18/18 06:44 PM

I was driving my 71 challenger and all of a sudden it died. The fusible link burnt up. Everything is new in the car. Any thoughts on where I should start?
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Burnt fusible link - help - 09/18/18 07:04 PM

check your bulk head connection point to ensure it is tight. I had a rebuilt alternator, that the battery terminal insulator chaffed and shorted to the case - caused the fusible link to go . . . you have a short circuit in your system somewhere . . .
Posted By: fuelishnsilly

Re: Burnt fusible link - help - 09/19/18 05:05 AM

I agree. Check the positive stud on the back of the alternator as I've had them loosen up on my car over the years. Also, the ammeter could be a potential problem too if the thing grounded out.

Re: Burnt fusible link - help - 09/19/18 02:41 PM

Those all check out, any other thoughts?
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Burnt fusible link - help - 09/19/18 03:51 PM

I had experienced in the past the fields in the alternator reverse polarity.
When that happened it did snap the fusible link.

Run some wire from the battery stud back of the alternator to the battery stud at starter relay WITH A FUSIBLE LINK!
If the link snaps right away,the alternator is no good.
If everything lights up and runs fine,the ammeter gauge is no good.
You can leave this jumper wire in permanently since it takes a load off the ammeter gauge and completes the curcuit between the + and - side of the charging system.
Hope this helps.
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Burnt fusible link - help - 09/19/18 06:14 PM

69Cbrge has some good advice. You have a dead-short somewhere. You could temporarily install an inline fuse in that circuit & carry a stack of fuses until you figure it out.

Anyway, check the charging system first as noted above + bulkhead disconnect. If those check out, start going circuit by circuit & disconnect them.....when your "fusible link fuses" stop blowing, then you know what circuit you have a short. Check your wiring diagram & see what's on that circuit. PIA, but basically just tracking down a short
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Burnt fusible link - help - 09/19/18 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper
You have a dead-short somewhere. You could temporarily install an inline fuse in that circuit & carry a stack of fuses until you figure it out.

A breaker would be better.
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Burnt fusible link - help - 09/19/18 09:59 PM

true

Re: Burnt fusible link - help - 09/21/18 05:51 PM

Thanks for the help, I traced it to a bad alternator, it was shorted internally causing a direct short to ground.
Posted By: DaveKanofsky

Re: Burnt fusible link - help - 09/21/18 07:21 PM

Thanks for the follow up!

I always appreciate hearing what the culprit was.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Burnt fusible link - help - 09/21/18 08:00 PM

Glad you found it !!! . . .
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Burnt fusible link - help - 09/21/18 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By MoparABE
Thanks for the help, I traced it to a bad alternator, it was shorted internally causing a direct short to ground.

I knew I was on the right track!
Glad you found it!
As mentioned before,leave the jumper wire in.
Also for added insurance, bypass the bulkhead connector for the MAIN red wire.
© 2024 Moparts Forums